Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#391057 06/21/17 03:12 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Just obtained a 30 Special Sedan. Runs, drives, decent condition. Seems to be running fine. I know nothing about past maintenance records.
Should I change the oil and what type of oil; not knowing what is in there now etc. Any other immedate maint. suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ed

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
First order an owners manual and repair manual reprint from the Filling Station or other literature seller. Those two booklets have a lot of good information on the operation, maintenance and repair of your car.

Changing oil would be a good idea. Most of us now use 10W-30 as this provides better lubrication than other options. First check the level on the dip stick. Drain all you can and then try to determine how much drained. It should be close to 5 quarts if the crankcase shows full on the stick. The difference could be due a layer of sludge in the crankcase. Don't panic or let the local experts convince you that detergent oil and sludge means impending disaster. Even a little sludge in the pan is not a big deal. A pan half full is!

It is also a good idea to put a few drops of oil in the generator and starter bushings, water pump front bushing and give a slight twist to the grease cups on the water pump and distributor.

Let us know what you find and we can help with stage II.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks Chipper! Exactly what I wanted; a starting place!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Chipper. You are always there with a good reply.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Nearly 50 years driving old Chevys and numerous VCCA tours has taught me something. Just have to extract it from under the old beanie.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.