Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#391672 07/04/17 11:48 AM
Barbj Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
After much work to my 1927 LM, replaced piston rings, reseating valves, rebuilding vacuum tank, rescored radiator, replacing wiring harness and rebuilt light/ignition switch. she started right up but ran very rough and started backfiring.

I am assuming it is the timing, though we did not remove the distributor BUT the nut under the distributor grease cap it was loosened and retightened (not sure what that is for). The distributor is able to be turned only very slightly either way and may have gotten turned a little. The timing was OK before we started this project. I double checked the spark plug wires and they are in the correct positions. Prior to starting I did check for spark but only #1. Can anyone tell me how to check or set the timing? Thoughts on other causes?

I believe I had the spark retarded when starting, the handle on the column was fully pulled down (can someone confirm the is the correct position to retard the spark, please) I have not been able to find a diagram or information regarding the dash controls. Also there is a knob the can be pulled out of the dash just right of the steering column that I cant figure out what it does. there is a small box behind the dash that this knob is connected to, and it has two wire connectors on it. Any ideas what this is?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Barbj #391674 07/04/17 01:16 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Barb,

I set the timing with the spark lever fully retarded (yes, pulled towards you) and the timing mark on the flywheel showing U|C at the needle in the inspection hole. This mark shows that cylinder 1 is at Top Dead Center (TDC). You should verify that this is the case, because if the flywheel is not mounted properly, this mark on the flywheel will be incorrect.

The inspection hole is located on the passenger side of the flywheel housing, behind the heat tube.

So, with cylinder 1 at TDC on the compression stroke, the points should just be starting to open and the rotor should be pointing to the tower on the distributor cap with the wire going to cylinder 1.

Here's a previous post that describes the starting procedure that I use. Note that missing from the list is making sure the transmission is in neutral and the clutch is not pressed down. If you hold the clutch down while cranking, there is extra pressure on the center main engine bearing.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php...true/Re:_1928_chevrolet_truck#Post378579

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.