Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#391599 07/02/17 12:00 AM
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
I need a top bow for my 32' Olds cabriolet so I'm thinking of making up a steaming tube and forming jig to bend one up. I then thought that there might be others who also need a new bow for their car. Curious if anyone might be interested in having one made. My olds is the same as a 32' Chevy and I haven't looked yet to see if other years used the same bow. I'm sure someone must already make them but curious on the cost. Opinions?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I made a steaming tube out of 4" ABS and made steam using a wallpaper steamer hooked up, soaked the wood for 3 days in the steamer. Steamed the wood ( 15/16" thick ) for 4 hours.

Use ASH , its easier to bend and less likely to crack,. make sure you have an extra pair of hands to apply clamps. You need to make the pattern 5% narrower each end to account for spring back once its removed from pattern .

Have your ash cut into 1/2" thick strips, makes it a lot easier to bend the wood without breaking. When I do my roadster top bows will use that method instead of bending the 1" thick boards.

mike lynch

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.