Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#391270 06/26/17 06:47 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi everyone.
I'm trying to remove the door handle on my 39 4 door chevrolet. The handle is the one of the front door, right side. If I understood correctly that's were the locking one should be, however during the life of the car someone put a non locking one instead (that looks to be same year).
I have tried unscrewing the small screw that goes through the side of the door. However although it spins something seems wrong with the thread as it doesn't come out, nor it advances enough for me to grab on it.
Does anybody has a picture with the lock mechanism extracted from the door? Is the any way to tap it from the inside of the door to push it out?
Thank a lot.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hello.
Try this link:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/fisher/1939_40/39fbsm068.htm

This is a great resource for just about anything related to the bodies of our cars.
If this link doesn't work right, go to section 9, page 68 and 69. There you will find a good photo of the door locking mechanism and other good information.

Spray some liquid wrench or wd-40 on the screw and let it penetrate for a while. You may need to gently tap around the handle shaft to loosen up the rust bond. Since you stated the screw is spinning but not coming out, maybe get a strong magnet to pull the screw out. A small "telescoping" pocket magnet would be just the right size and useful here.

Take your time and try not to force anything.

I hope this will be helpful to you.

Good luck,
Curt

Last edited by cskennedy10; 06/26/17 08:31 AM.
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Good advice there.

I would take and get me some timpers and build a steep ramp. I'd then drive the car up the ramp - assuming a 39 could pull up a steep ramp- until the screw head is on a downward angle (use your lever to determine when that point is reached. Then turn the screw until it is loose in the hole. Then I would take a small hammer and tap, tap, tap, ... (you get the picture) and slowly jar the screw out. Should work.

You're welcome.

Charlie computer

BTW: Whilst up the ramp you could change the oil. And, when ready you could back the car up the ramp until the screw hole is on a downward angle. Easy.

Old service stations used to have an oil change ramp outsid the station. Ask Tiny or Gene or some of the other older members here on chatter. They were rather steep on the incline.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I took it out, If i pulled on the handle while unscrewing the thread had something to catch on.
Now i should change the spiral spring in the lock. Any advice on dismantling it?

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Glad to here you got the screw out.
Hopefully someone with experience taking these locks apart can help you with replacing the spring. Just in case your looking for replacement parts (spring and exterior handle retainer screws) here is a link for you:

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/shop/search.lasso?search=Exterior+door+handle

I don't think it should be too hard to remove the spring. Take plenty of photos before you attempt the repair and then proceed. If the spring is broken, obviously, replace it. If it's not broken, then a new one probably won't be any better than what you have. Here is the reason why.
If your door handle is sagging, I found that new springs don't help. I bought 4 new springs and ended up sending them back. This is why. The receiving part (where the handle shaft goes in) wears out and you get too much "lost motion". The fit is no longer tight and you get a sagging exterior door handle. If you look at historic photos of these old cars, the handles sagged probably just a few years after purchase. The exterior handles are heavy and experience thousands of up and down motions of the car for thousands of miles. A replacement of the receiving part (don't know what it's called) where the handle shaft is inserted is what needs replacing or perhaps shimmed.

Curt

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (modiol, 1 invisible), 63 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.