Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#390304 06/05/17 12:34 PM
THH Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I recently purchase a exhaust system from a well know vendor and it doesn't seem right. I would like to have some opinions from some of you who have been down this road.

First is the exhaust pipe. It doesn't seem long enough to me. Once bolted up to the manifold the horizontal section rest right on the cross members of the frame near the clutch and brake pedal assembly. I mean right on the cross-member. I'm a little concerned of it bumping on the frame and making a bunch of noise that I don't need. Also while the kick in the exhaust pipe does fit thru the the hole in the splash plan it is right against one of the sides of that splash pan. Another rubbing point.

The one point that really caught my eye is at the end of the tailpipe (about 15 inches from the end) it has about a 15 or 20 degree bend that throws the exhaust toward the center of the car. I wouldn't care if the kick was the other way where it would exhaust behind the left rear wheel. I actually thought the pipe should be straight to exhaust out past the bumper. I have never seen a car that throws the exhaust back to the center line and I have no pictures or information to prove my case.

I called the vendor, who seem like a nice enough fella, said he is going to do some research and get back to me.

The car is a 36 Master Model FA

Thanks for any opinions good, bad or indifferent.

Tom H.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

THH #390386 06/06/17 11:05 AM
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Perhaps he thought you had a "Hot Rod". I have seen that type of "set up" on those type of cars.

The exhaust pipe should be angled correctly to pass the center of the hole in the splash pan. It should be long enough to reach onto the muffler which is on the mounting bracket on the cross member. The tail pipe should go up and over the rear axle and extend out the rear of the car a few inches. There should be a tail pipe bracket on the last small cross member just before the pipe ends at the rear of the car.

Good luck with your vendor. There are vendors found in the Generator and Distributor, the Club's magazine that make these items that correctly fit our cars.

terrill #390395 06/06/17 01:33 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
While you can build an exhaust system yourself from a kit, you can also have a good muffler shop build it for you, show or go.

J Franklin
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The exhaust in my 36' stopped just behind the muffler, from there on back it actually had flexible exhaust tubing. I can't say whether or not it was original although it looks like it is, but it does coincide with why your exhaust kit stopped where it did.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.