Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Can anyone share their experience removing the glass frame from main frame to replace the rubber. Dave Sylvain says it is possible without having to replace metal parts. I tried but the upper pivot point does not seem to want to pop out of the frame as he described it after removing the bolt at the lower pivot point.

Tom

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well, one kind VCCA member took one apart for me and explained the situation.

Remove the bottom chrome cap from the upper pivot. I used jewelers' screw drivers to pry it up without scratching the chrome. that reveals the end of rivet which must be drilled out. The OD of the visible part matches that of the Filling Station rivets I now have on order. Hopefully they will work. More later.

Tom

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Problem solved. Do not try to remove the rivet that the upper pivot point rotates on. The top of the rivet is actually the chrome cap at the top of the pivot point. Instead pull the rubber out of its channel up to the pivot point. You will see four common rivets that hold the glass channel and chrome pivot assembly to the black channel for the rubber. Drill out those four rivets and the chrome glass channel and pivot assembly can be removed from the black channel and rubber replaced. Reverse assembly replacing the four rivets to complete the job.

The pivot rivets I ordered will not work on '33 Chevrolets.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.