Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#390442 06/07/17 02:09 PM
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hello to all,

I am trying to figure out how to replace the vertical seal at the rear edge of the vent windows on my '37 Master Coupe (GB). The Manual for Construction and Service does not describe this process (or maybe I missed it).

Based on the new pieces I have the seal assembly attaches to the front edge of what is called the Center Division Channel. There are 6 metal tabs that are bent over to hold the seal assembly in place. I am having difficulty getting access to those tabs on the old pieces that are installed in the car.

It appears to me that one solution is to somehow remove the vertical piece of "Bailey molding" (the felt lined channel that guides the front edge of the window). Then I should be able to see the backside of the Center Division Channel and the tabs. I could unfold those for the current seal assembly and then fold the tabs over when the new one is in place.

Suggestions are welcome.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If you are refering to the rubber strip that the rear edge of the vent glass contacts. The rubber strip for the replacement is glued in place. I have done it on three of my cars and worked well. Old dried hard rubber may not allow the 3M weather strip cement to work.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Rusty,

Sorry I do not have a set of picures to help, but you are correct in assuming the felt division channel must be removed to replace the rubber seal.

I might have videotaped the assembly process. Let me know if you want me to check.

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Last evening I had started to work that felt channel out of the Division Channel. I will continue with that approach. It was moving slightly but I decided to check with the experts before I messed things up.

I will let you know if I need any more details.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Rusty,

You are correct in assuming you must remove the felt division channel before replacing the rubber seal. To do this you will have to remove the entire division channel from the door. I think you can do it without removing the door glass. You will need to remove the window garnish, unscrew the division channel from the the top and bottom of the window frame, then take the nut off that holds the division bar tight to the inside of the door. The nut is in the middle of the door in line with the division channel bar.

I think the old felt is held in place with rivets. I used rivots to hold the new felt channel to the division bar once I had reinstalled the rubber. My pictures on this are not much help but I may have a video. If you need more assistance let me know and I will check my videos.

Good Luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Thanks for the additional insights.

I was able to remove the garnish molding and the 2 screws that attach the division bar to the lower part of the window frame. I have not been able to see the upper ones.

I agree with your assessment that I should be able to remove the division channel without removing the glass. In fact the Construction and Service manual states that it must be removed before you can remove the glass.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Rusty, a couple of months ago, I opened the vent window on my'34 Master, and the 83-year-old rubber seal on the division bar had attached itself to the vent window glass and pulled away from the division bar when I opened the window. I went to Steel Rubber and found that they also have only the rubber in 30-inch lengths. The part number is 70-0040-56. I don't know if yours is the same, but it is exactly like the original on my car.
http://www.steelerubber.com/vent-division-bar-weatherstrip-70-0040-56

Bill Masters
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Thanks Bill and Gene!

I can readily see that simply bonding a new rubber seal strip to the metal piece in the car is the way to go. It sure is a lot less work that removing the whole center channel.

I am very familiar with the 3M weatherstrip adhesive. I know how well it works especially when you prep the surfaces with their cleaner.

This is another example that reminds me to come to this forum and ask before you order parts.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.