Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
TwoDoor Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
How do I remove the wiper arm from the wiper motor stud. My arm has a small hole drilled in the middle of the cap that goes over the stud. Does it just lift off or is there a set screw in the hole holding it on to the stud?
Thanks,
Bill

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Look carefully at it. Is there a small pin that holds it from the side?

TwoDoor Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Terrill, thanks for the suggestion. I looked it over and there were no pins. I gently tried to pry the cap off the stud and sure enough, it came off without any damage to the splined stud. I then noticed the splined stud was actually a pot metal splined collar on the smaller brass drive stud, with the collar held in place with two hex head blind screws. Once they were loosened, the collar came off and I was able to take the wiper motor (KSB 404 G) out. I now have the whole unit soaking in ATF. Hopefully a good soaking will solve my problems. Next I'll see if I can snake a wire up through the vacuum line to 1)make sure it is not plugged and 2)as a future route for a wire if I decide to go with an electric wiper moor.
Thanks again,
Bill

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Don't forget to check the rubber hose to the motor. There may be one under the dash through the fire wall...most people see that one but there may be another one....copper line to rubber. Double check the whole line for leaks or rotten rubber line. Not much telling how they "fixed her up in the past".

You are on the right track to full restoration of the wiper. Way to go.

TwoDoor Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
After removing the wiper motor, I found it would not suck ATF in when moving the wiper arm by hand. So, I completely immersed it in a container filled with ATF for a 24 hour soak. Results were poor. The motor would cycle with out the wiper arm on it at best. (I even took the spring out of the wiper arm). I ran a length of "weed wacker" line up the hose and all is clear. I am considering a universal electric wiper motor as a temporary fix.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Check the working parts for wear. That thing that flips with the little spring wears out. (Found under the protective cover that pops off .) You can order those parts from a lot of places. I have found that is the problem most of the time.

There are also places that "do" rebuild/re-manufacturer your vacuum wiper motor. Specify that they "do" you motor and return it to you. That way it is "sure" to fit.

Good luck.

TwoDoor Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Terrill, I thank you again. I will next replace the vacuum line to see what effect, if any, this has.
Today, I'm scheduled for my (first) NYS inspection, hopefully it will pass the way the wiper is working (sort of manual by turning off and on).

TwoDoor Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
(Terrill)I see you are from Mississippi, I just drove through there on my way to purchase the truck, really beautiful country. And yes, the police were polite and friendly as well, I got pulled over on the interstate to be asked "where is was going and how I was doing" I think they like Yankees with NYS license plates. It was actually quite humorous, the little guy had a big smile on his face the whole time. It's always great to add a little sunshine to someone's day.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.