Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I posted recently about a issue with my 47 going into 2nd gear hard and got that resolved it looks like. Now when I go into second gear it drops out of gear quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could I be clutch adjustment? I am lost a bit at this point. Also wanted to ask if anyone has heard their vacuum shift make a vacuum leak type noise when the car is idling? And if I lift the shifting lever a bit it stops. This car really giving me a run for my $$ lately.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

It is obvious that your vacuum shift is misadjusted. Go to your maintenance manual and follow the instructions. It is possible your vacuum system needs to be torn down, cleaned, replace any worn parts and adjusted. The instructions says to use a gauge to make the adjustments, however if you understand how the unit works can make those adjustments by yourself.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I will check the manual out and etc. it seemed strange as I had the transmission out twice this winter and spring and the other two times when we tested the tranny out it did not slip out of second gear.I appreciate the information. What parts would need replacing inside the vacuum shift? And do they still have a conversion kit to eliminate the vacuum shift as some have done? Than You Again

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Just wondering, what did you do to get it to go into second without grinding?

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The guy that rebuilt it said to just go through the gears several times as he thought maybe a synchro had a burr or something on it or that the gears did not mesh perfectly at first. I also double clutch it sometimes. Know anyone whom has a vacuum shift they may want to sell?? I prefer to keep it as original. Not many guys in my area that have good expertise in troubleshooting on these old cars. Glad I am learning more and more.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.