Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#389855 05/26/17 07:02 PM
mongol Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
When Im driving say after 20 minutes and i park the coolant spits out the over flowtube .Its not overheating ,I have new 3 row radiator,new thermostat,timing is about the middle of the ball and the # 5 stamped in the flywheel. Running about 190 degrees from what I can tell and you can feel the heat under the dash when im driving.what possible causes or what can I check . thanks all

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Are you overfilling the radiator? When cold the coolant level should be low, just so you can see it at the bottom of the tank.
If you are running a "hot" thermostat and plain water this can happen.
Heat entering the cabin is due to holes etc. in the firewall.

Gene Schneider
mongol Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Do you mean the top tank of radiator should maybe be half full or less ,i have a 180 I thought about maybe 160 also running coolant right now

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I had a similar problem once. I switched from a zero pound pressure cap to a 4 poi d pressure cap. Problem went away.

VCCA Member 51121

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
A pressure cap will not work on a 1939 or prior year as the overflow tube is in the top tank of the radiator and it will not hold pressure.

If you run a 180 Deg. thermostat and clear water the heat in the engine will build up when the engine is shut off and the water will be forced out. The 50/50 antifreeze soloution will raise the boiling point by several degreeses and help a little. First install a 160 Deg thermostat and keep the coolant level low and you should have no problem. If you have a 1948 a 4 pound cap was instaled at the factory. The filler neck on an original 1947 radiator was not designed for a pressure cap.......If you have a new radator and a 1946-47 car the pressure cap can be used.

Chevrolet sold an overflow tank as an accessory for that reason.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 05/27/17 07:56 AM.

Gene Schneider
mongol Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
thanks guys im check those items and will keep you postesd

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I agree with Gene, if we fill our '47 to the top of the radiator tank, it will piddle out the overflow after a few minutes of driving at full operating temperature. Usually at a show. Its not fun. We usually just fill it to just above the radiator fins when you look inside the top tank, and it holds the proper level & temp from there on. I think you'll find a similar level will work for yours. Best of luck.

Now if we could only get the water pump to stop piddling in storage... that's next on the list.

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Daryl, and et al,

This is long. It is not very informative, You may wan to just toss it. Whatever. Read at your own risk.

A few notes about radiators and the cooling system.

a. The radiator fins are those things running between the flues where the water run down in radiator.

b. The flues are those tubes that carry the coolant in the radiator from top to bottom. They are what you see when you look in the top of radiators. They are sometimes hard to see depending on the radiator construction.

c. There is the top tank and the bottom tank (upper and lower) . The upper one tank is where you want to keep the coolant not over half full when cold. This allows for coolant expansion.

d. There is the overflow tube.

e. And there are the upper out;et and the lower one. A lot were cast but replacement radiators had about the same material as the tanks.

f. There is the honeycomb design. Some honey-comb fin ones had straight flues some had zigzagging flies. The latter ones are impossible to "rod" out. Mostly found in thirties and pre-thirties.

g. All radiators that wi;l "fit" are not the same as the original. Check the model/part number on he top tank

h. When all other things are in good working order, any original radiator has sufficient capacity to keep the engine cool enough. The engine is designed to run on thermostats with lower opening temperatures than 180 or 190. I like and recommend 180 degrees. That assures a good oil operating temperature. And that is where the little dot is on the instrument panel temperature gage on a 41.

i. If your "good" thermostat is a 180 and the engine boils over there is something else wrong.

j. The water "pump" merely circulated water. Heat will too owing to hot water being ;less dense. (See Chipper) Seldom does over-heating the fault of a water pump. The water pump usually hive no problems other than leaking.

k, Absence water n the radiator/engine will likely cause damage. Steam,m and or boiling would be created when the coolest ever gets brow the water pomp. If there is water/copilot in the block you may not get too much damage. No water can cause damage. It is best to either let the engine cool down or pour (ADD) water in slowly into the top tamp whilst the engine is riming.

l. Old radiators that are on their lsat leg can be boiled and rodded out. Any large holes need to be soldered up or the offending flue cut out (eliminated). A Tiny holes under test pressure of about 10 pounds are not always a problem. Just add a tube of mechanics/rebuilds helper or Solder Seal or equivalent. No eggs.

Remember 180 degrees is hot to the hymn touch but is just about right for a 216. A 190 would be even bearer. Water itself boils at 212 degrees at sea-level. Thats 22 more degrees. No worries.

In keeping any engine at good temperature it is essential; yo treat the problem(s) instead of the symptoms.

Sorry this is so long but I'v noticed that many of our fe;;ow Chevrolet owners are not always up on the cooling issues.

Don't worry. I probably made some mistakes in my advice but maybe not too many. I'll surely hear about it posthaste. talk

Gene has mentioned these items as well. He mentioned that the Harrison was the GM radiator make and that McCord made them for other makes. I can't think of other companies who made radiators.

Charlie computer

NOTE: There are typing errors. Wadde through it Agrin

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I'd just like to add that good flow through a radiator does not necessarily equal good cooling.

On a '58 panel that I used to have, the fins separated from the flues, so there was good flow, but lousy cooling. I had this radiator flushed and rodded, but in the end I had to replace it.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
In his first post he mentioned that he had a "new three core radiator". Also if he lives at a higher altitude the water will boil at a much lower temperature.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 05/29/17 07:50 PM.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Oops, I missed "new three core radiator".

I always get into trouble when shooting from the hip.

Thanks, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I had that problem too. Turns out the head gasket had failed and the engine was pressurizing the water jackets, or something like that.

Best Regards, Pat

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.