Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello, im at my wits end so please bear with me. I have a 4 cylinder that looks like a 490 motor, the push rods are adjustable at the top. i have them adjusted at .003. the points are at 1/32 or .031. the timing method i am using is watching the intake valve begin to open, follow the piston down, then follow to TDC. at that point i have adjusted the points lobe so that the points just begin to open right under #1 on the cap.
the car fires up right away but will not accelerate with or without advancing. ive tried setting the points with the advance plate all the way forward and all the way back. i purchased a rebuilt tillotson that is for the model A Ford but was modified for this engine as far as choke and linkages. also the adjustable jet was fixed so i can not adjust it. but the reputable builder tested this on his model a and it ran great.
the car runs really rich and i think either timing or fuel. dont think it would fire if i was 180 out? im calling the push rod on the left of cylinder #1 the intake. can some one please help. thanks

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Purchase the correct Chevrolet carburetor or borrow one and see how it works. If an engine starts and then has problems you can start with the carburetor as the guilty party.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for responding. The original carb is a zenith t4x. I couldn't find a replacement body as mine has the typical cracked body. I may just find a Carter or some other replacement just to compare. want to verify my timing process. Thanks

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
There is at least on rebuilder that will evaluate and attempt to rebuild the original Zenith carburetors. That includes repairing cracked parts. Check your G&D Services by Members for the person. Keep in mind all carburetors can't be rebuilt. There are two (three if Canada) other carburetors factory installed in the 1922-1925 period.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hi Your valve lash seems tight. I believe the int should be .006 cold and the exh. .008 cold

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Valve clearance should be 0.006" inlet & 0.008" exh set hot,as per owners manual

CJP'S 29
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My manual shows .005 for pushrods that have the locknut at the bottom. And .003 or a piece of paper for the pushrods with locknut at the top. Now I'll try more clearance but might distributor has a casting line that didn't let the cap seat. Then I filed it because it was cracked and expanded. Timing and response improved as I did this. I think I may need another distributor. But I am open to suggestions so I'll try the clearance increase. Thanks.

Last edited by Chevycurator; 04/23/17 10:27 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
went back and adjusted push rods to .005. also the distributor was in bad shape so i purchased one from Mr Wallace, this thing is beautiful. assembled the distributor and installed it and now the car runs terrific! thanks for all the advise.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.