My new computer hasn't frozen or crashed once since I got it.
... I almost hate to plug it in.

Today's Birthdays
32confederate, EdLo, ewv715, galen33, Paul Boyd
Featured Chat Guy (or Gal)

Getting ready for the 4th of July Parade
Interesting Delivery
32' Oldsmobile Dovetail Receptacle
32 Special Bracket ID
Chevrolet Trim Plate
Pilot Bushing Removal Tool artile
VCCA Member Projects
53rd installment - '28 engine tear down
52nd installment - '28 engine tear down
51st installment - '28 engine tear down
50th installment - '28 engine tear down
49th installment - '28 engine tear down
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#389571 - 05/22/17 02:08 PM Looking for electronic ignition conversion
Bill P. Offline

Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: Annandale, VA
Does anyone know of an electronic ignition conversion kit for a 1926 superior-v with a 171cu engine?

Vintage Auto Garage - 6 Volt
#389574 - 05/22/17 02:40 PM Re: Looking for electronic ignition conversion [Re: Bill P.]
Junkyard Dog Offline

Loc: Eagle Point, Oregon
Stay with you have since the electronic conversions usually cause issues.

laugh wink beer2

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

#389599 - 05/22/17 07:49 PM Re: Looking for electronic ignition conversion [Re: Junkyard Dog]
Bill P. Offline

Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: Annandale, VA
Thank you.

#389606 - 05/22/17 09:50 PM Re: Looking for electronic ignition conversion [Re: Bill P.]
Chipper Offline

Loc: The Great State of TEXAS
I had an electronic ignition on a '28 Chevy as a test from a manufacturer. It worked well until a complete failure with absolutely no warning. Luckily the engine was in my shop at the time. I carried a spare points distributor just in case. Installed the points dist and haven't looked back. Those can be fiddled with to get you back home. When the electronics are dead so is your car.

#389646 - 05/23/17 08:51 AM Re: Looking for electronic ignition conversion [Re: Chipper]
tonyw Offline

Loc: Goulburn Australia
I have been there, electronic worked well until it died. The modern computer controlled system is an even bigger pain.
Tony

#389655 - 05/23/17 01:46 PM Re: Looking for electronic ignition conversion [Re: tonyw]
Junkyard Dog Offline

Loc: Eagle Point, Oregon
iagree

I installed an electronic ignition in my 1970 Impala. It lasted one week! The electronic ignition failed at a stop light in a major intersection on a Friday evening at 5:00 PM. A major traffic jam formed because of the failed electronic ignition in the vehicle. In 57 years of driving I have never had the point system in any of my vehicles fail.

laugh wink beer2

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

#389703 - 05/24/17 12:46 AM Re: Looking for electronic ignition conversion [Re: Junkyard Dog]
Bowtie Bob Offline

pumpjockey

Loc: Rochester, N.Y.
My advice would be to heed the above comments, but if you just HAVE to try electronic ignition, check out Summit Racing's site:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/bran...-kits/volts/6-v

They're a reputable dealer,

#395376 - 09/23/17 02:37 AM Re: Looking for electronic ignition conversion [Re: Bowtie Bob]
wesb Offline

Backyard Mechanic

Loc: KS
I am working on a breakerless ignition for 6v 6cylinder applications. My '35 will be tested

#395383 - 09/23/17 08:07 AM Re: Looking for electronic ignition conversion [Re: wesb]
tonyw Offline

Loc: Goulburn Australia
Years ago I found a electronic assisted contact system. Basically it was a transistor that controlled by the original points and the transistor switched the coil. It worked well until the points oxidized and werent connecting, only had to rub fine emery paper between the points. The points didnt burn like standard systems as there wasnt the current flow in through them.
Tony

#396174 - 10/09/17 06:44 PM Re: Looking for electronic ignition conversion [Re: Bill P.]
brino Offline
Oil Can Mechanic

Loc: Northern California, USA
Bill,

Here's how to do it using GM HEI parts:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/convert-a-ford-or-chrysler-ignition-to-gm-hei/#wiring-diagram-2

It can also probably be also done using Mopar components from an electronic distributor.

Pertronix and Crane Cams conversions have failed in many applications. The ultra reliable OEM electronic distributor components may not be 100% failure free, but nothing is. Once, decades ago I was driving a company vehicle with point ignition and the point rubbing block broke off leaving me stranded. Nothing is perfect

Part of the fun of this hobby is tweaking the sensibilities of the originality purists with "stealth" modifications that make the antiques safer, more pleasant to drive and more reliable. The purists don't care about that because it irrelevant in a show-only trailer queen.

.Ray W

#400895 - 12/31/17 09:00 PM Re: Looking for electronic ignition conversion [Re: Bill P.]
Vila Offline

Shade Tree Mechanic

Loc: PA
I agree with the other comments above.

The electronic ignitions conversions for antique cars work great until they fail and then they are dead, whereas the good old points tend to slowly fade into the sunset and provide warning they need replaced.

On a Triumph website I participate in there have been numerous individuals report failures of the Pertronix units in Triumph TR4s while on the road and they end up needing a tow to get home.

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1964 Vespa VNB5T Scooter
1984 BMW 633 CSi

#401987 - Yesterday at 12:05 AM Re: Looking for electronic ignition conversion [Re: Bill P.]
brino Offline
Oil Can Mechanic

Loc: Northern California, USA
Bill, check this out.

http://devestechnet.com/Home/HEIgnition

It's a conversion a hobbyist can do using a Mopar slant 6 reluctor and a GM HEI module. Those components have been in use on millions of engines for decades and have none of the reliability issues of the aftermarket junk like Pertronix and Allison electronic conversions.

Ray W

Moderator:  AntiqueMechanic, Coupefan 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
0 Chat Members (), 1 Guest and 36 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
We speak Chevy!
Time Flys!
Since 12/16/2001
Previous Photos
Newest Chat Registration
Shermy, CommanderSashi, Emanuel, DrDoug, ronp
14741 Registered Users
VCCA Info Links
NEWBIES START HERE
CHAT HELP
Send My Password
Kill My Chat Cookies
VCCA Home
G&D Calendar
Judging
Club Regions
Join Info
Forum Stats
14741 Chat Users
77 Forums
48874 Topics
357761 Posts

Max Online: 304 @ 06/18/16 10:00 AM
See the USA
In your
Dinah says Hi!!

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.