Vintage Chevrolet Club Forums
A nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation, restoration and enjoyment of all Chevrolets and GMCs.

VISITORS: You are welcome to read our forums. If you want to participate FREE then you need to register. Join the VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to attach/upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

VCCA MEMBERS: Already a member? Great! Info to access the members-only area.

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#389523 - 05/21/17 08:21 PM Ammeter Accuracy
Rusty 37 Master Offline
Backyard Mechanic

Loc: Iowa
Having lots of fun driving around town in our' 37 Master Coupe. I have put about 120 miles on it with only a few minor issues.

What are your observations with respect to in-dash ammeter accuracy? Here is the situation I have.

Based on information in some prior posts and the '37 Engineering Specs I wanted to confirm that the generator was providing the right output. When I rebuilt the generator I set the 3rd brush at 2 commutator bars from the main brush.

I was concerned because the dash ammeter was showing 15-16 amps with no lights and over 20 amps with the head light switch in the second position (no resistor). With the lights on it does show a slight plus charge. This car does have a sealed beam 6v headlights and I have put the higher candle power bulbs in the brake and tail lights.

I connected an ammeter directly to the battery side of the cutout on the generator. I was getting about 14 amps with the lights off and about 19 with them on. Remember that the ammeter has already subtracted the ignition and fuel gauge load (about 2-3 amps).

Based on that difference I connected a different ammeter and got readings within 1 amp of the first one. I am also getting about 7.9 volts which I feel is very acceptable.

Should I be concerned with the what seem to be high reading from the in-dash ammeter? Am i getting too much from the generator and running the risk of overheating it?

Thanks for the help.

VCCA #44680

Vintage Auto Garage - 6 Volt
#389530 - 05/21/17 10:46 PM Re: Ammeter Accuracy [Re: Rusty 37 Master]
Chev Nut Offline

Loc: West Allis,Wi.
I would say you have it adjusted as perfect as possible with out better equipment. The generator is designed to put out up to 21 amps or so . Being that the generator is air cooled it can safely put out 21 amps. That how I set the generator on my 1934 using the later air cooled generator with the pulley fan. Never had a problem. While I did not have sealed beams had higher C.P. head and tail light bulbs (dual) and would just be a bit on the + side unless you went over 50 MPH. The 3 brush generator peaks arounr 50 MPH and the charging rate drops after that.

#389563 - 05/22/17 08:39 AM Re: Ammeter Accuracy [Re: Rusty 37 Master]
tonyw Offline

Loc: Goulburn Australia
I dont think you have a problem, most automotive instruments are not always spot on accurate. Your readings are very close and within specifications.
Tony

#389578 - 05/22/17 03:32 PM Re: Ammeter Accuracy [Re: tonyw]
Rusty 37 Master Offline
Backyard Mechanic

Loc: Iowa
Hi Gene and Tony,

Thanks for the confirmation that my readings are in range.

One interesting point and the reason I had to question the ammeter + readings is that the discharger readings seem much more accurate. Those readings all match the calculated loads within about 1 amp.

Gene: Just got my confirmation for the Middle West Meet. It is a shorter time there than I would like but I will be there mid-Wednesday afternoon. See you there!

VCCA #44680

Moderator:  AntiqueMechanic, Coupefan 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
1 Chat Members (Peter_Gariepy), 1 Guest and 29 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
32confederate
Helpful Links
Forum Registration
New User Forum
Members Only Forum
Reset Your Password
Kill Your Cookies

VCCA Home
Join the VCCA
Member Photos
My 31' Chevy Show
What is missing?
31' headlight reflectors re-silvered at home
1936 Roadster - S. Africa
Chevy on the Levee
'37 Seat
Forum Stats
15086 Chat Users
79 Forums
50178 Topics
366686 Posts

Max Online: 304 @ 06/18/16 10:00 AM

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.