Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Been having issues with the negative battery cable {side terminals} where it attaches to the battery. I put a new battery and cable in and tightened the negative cable as tight as I felt it should be without stripping the threads out or twisting the bolt off inside the battery. Then sometimes it starts fine and sometimes it does not make a good connection and I have to go under the hood and move the negative cable a bit on the battery and it usually starts then. But I feel the cable si tight enough already but I have pretty strong hands and can always move the cable a bit. Seems to me that the cable bolt should have longer threads on it than it does. Anyone had this issue??

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
There was a cleaning brush made for side terminal batteries. One end had a little round wire brush for cleaning the recessed area of the side terminal on the battery.
Make sure both cable and battery contact areas are clean. On genuine Delco cables the bolt was built into the bable end opening.
There also could be a break inside the cable.

Gene Schneider
Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I finally;y figured it out and this will probably not make much sense to most. I was getting so frustrated with this issue and for whatever reason I decided to take the cable off the other end that mounts to the alternator bracket and scuff it up a bit and put it back together. Now this is a 14,500 original mile car and the cables were never touched on the alternator bracket. They did put a new battery in it and I also put a new Delco battery in it this month. Well after cleaning the opposite end of cable and refastening it, low and behold it started then and continues to start ok now. But why did I have to just nudge the negative cable on the battery side and it would start ok sometimes.Then it would not. I did not have to mess with the alternator bracket end until I scuffed the paint. This is a good learning curve I guess. Does not make much sense to me. Thanks for trying to help.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (Peter_Gariepy, 1 invisible), 78 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,069
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.