Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
My door panels were reupholstered sometime in the 80's. I am concerned with how poor they fit so might have LeBaron Bonney make me up a new set. I am wondering about the stainless trim pieces on my panels. Did the Master Deluxe have the upper and lower stainless, or was it only on the Special Deluxe?

Did the Master Deluxe also have the vinyl brown bottoms? Was the original fabric mohair? I would prefer using the cloth that LeBaron's recommends since it is not as thick as the mohair sample they sent as an alternative choice.

What is the quality of LeBaron replacements? Mine are very thick and heavy and held on by screws attached in the original nail slots, so nailing on new panels would not work. I was thinking of using Velcro to hold them in place. Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

[Linked Image from i1321.photobucket.com]

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The Master Deluxe has no chrome trim or vinyl at the bottom Just some sewn in horizontal ribs. While the seat material has a slight Heringbone design the side panels are plain and color/materail looks alost like a Special Deluxe, a short nap mohair.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the info. LeBaron wants about $1,600 for a set of panels for the doors and back seat area. Maybe I should put my big boy pants on and do the work myself. Curt Kennedy is doing his interior on a 40 4 door and thinks I should/can do mine.

Was there any stuffing between the fiber board backing material and the fabric? My doors also seem puffy as if the fabric is not glued to the board.

I will post some pictures of my rear seat panels to check with you on their authenticity. I have been trying to refit window garnish and am realizing how much some of it was bent to accommodate the thickness of materials. The garnish I am using is not the Special Deluxe type that was on the car when I bought it but rather garnish from a Master Deluxe.

I have lots of question for my local upholster. I have a June 13th appointment for him to do the headliner and windlace. He is coming over to see my project before I place an order with LeBaron's.

Best wishes, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
There was no padding behind the upholstery material.
Note there are the sewn ridges with stiching on the door panels but the rear quarter trim is perfectly smooth. Try to find a sampple to follow..

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Thanks Gene,

Here are some pictures of one of my rear panels. The last picture shows the sandwiching of backer boards that have magnified the thickness of the panels to 1/4" on some of the edges. As I said before to accommodate this the bottom of the garnish pieces have been bent, and screws were used to hold the panels in place. I hope someone (Master Deluxe Owner) will post a few pictures of the proper panels, including for the doors.

Thanks, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Mike it is not a big deal to make these panels yourself. You can buy a roll of whatever color and material to match what you are leaning towards! Plus they sell panel boards that you can trace your old one on, buy some 3M spray foam material glue, and buy a box of nylon door panel retainers so there will be no need for screws anywhere on the panels. You will also need a roll of 1 / 4 inch thick foam or you can use headliner foam to add softness and thickness to your panels! You can buy all of this at www.miamicorp.com Upholstery Fabric - Outdoor Fabric - Upholstery Supplies

I myself would not go with LeBaron Bonney unless you have money to burn!
Or if you think you could get over your head I would bring it to your local upholstery shop with pics of what you would like the end results for a fraction of the cost of going to LeBaron.

Rory
1934 Chevrolet Standard DC Sport Roadster for sale
1933 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1934 Ford 4 Door Sedan under construction
1933 Ford 4 Door Phaeton

ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Rory & Gene,

Thanks for the info on doing the job yourself, and for Gene's talk about stitching on the panels. I decided to go through some old pictures to see if I had any of interiors. I found that in 2006 I had attend a Central Region VCCA Meet in Midland, MI and took pictures of a 41 Master Deluxe. The horn button, door garnish (ruby red), kick panel, and front window garnish maybe inaccurate, but you can clearly see the stitching Gene refers to in his above post.

If this is accurate I could just have my upholster duplicate the pattern after I cut out the fabric, then do the rest of the work myself.

I appreciate your comments, Thanks, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The top two stitchings are slightly recessed. The lower is a pair of stitchings very recessed and raised in the center. There is also a picture in A Historical Hisory of Chevrolet but no better than what you have.

You should have said hellow to me at Midland. Was the last Central Met that I attended. wavey

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Mike.... I restored my '41 5 passenger Special Deluxe in the winter of 1999. A friend and I did all the work. I bought most of my parts from Chev0f'40's and club members. I bought a complete upholstery kit from Labonne Barron. Everything fit and looks like it was originally. My car looks like their ad in the G&D. The price for a complete kit is high but it will look good and be the right material. By the time you piece-meal your upholstery you will have a lot of money in the project and it will not match and you probably will not be satisfied. It cost very little more to go first class. Do it right the first time. JIM

1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe
5 pass. Coupe
On cover of Feb. 2002 G & D
www.rdgsons.com/n2.jpg
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Jim,

Do you have any interior pictures to show off your restoration?

Thanks, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Mike I will email you some pictures. Have not figured out how to put pictures on CHAT.

1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe
5 pass. Coupe
On cover of Feb. 2002 G & D
www.rdgsons.com/n2.jpg
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Here are 2 links to "How to post a picture."

Posting Pictures

Posting Pictures #2

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (Headlighter, Peter_Gariepy, 1 invisible), 69 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,069
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.