Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#379837 12/05/16 02:28 PM
danie Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Can any one supply me of photo of the piece of spring metal that is supposed to make the noise when motor of hooter is turning. Mine is missing ans want to make one

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hmmmmm.
Not too sure what you are after. I presume you are referring to the diaphragm of a Claxon type horn which have an electric motor that spins with a small star wheel attached to the spindle. The raised serrations on the face of the star wheel rub against a metal tooth protruding from the centre boss of the diaphragm which is made from thin (approx .020") very springy steel. The tone of the horn is adjusted by increasing or decreasing the pressure with which the two parts meet. (adjusting screw on back of horn and slightly moves the motor armature forward or back).
Swap meets are usually scattered with incomplete horns of all breeds, and it is just a matter of getting one that will fit/adapt to your situation. I have found not too heavily rusted (pitted) diaphragms work OK when cleaned up, but do not paint it as this acts like a dampener. Not sure what the best protective coating would be, maybe a very light coat of etch primer (clear watery type). The diaphragm is fitted each side with a thin paper gasket approx 1/2" wide,where it clamps between the horn funnel and motor housing.
Earlier '25 Superiors had an inferior Remy vibrator type horn protruding through a hole in the firewall, and make quite a different sound, more like a frog burping, and feeble at that!
Sorry I can't oblige with photos. All too much stuffing around for my intellect to fathom.
Cheers.

danie Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Rusty. Not sure what the diaphragm should look like.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Sorry. Upside down english!
About 3 1/2" diam spring steel disc with 5-6 holes around the outside that align with the matching holes in the motor body and horn funnel. The disc diameter needs to match that of the flange and body where the two mate up with each other. The disc is clamped between the two with a gasket each side. It is about the same size and appearance of a fuel pump diaphragm, except made of spring steel.The design/size of the small lug boss in the centre of the disc that engages with the motor armature varies with models/ brands.
If still not clear, email me and I should be able to get you a picture that way.
Geoff.

danie Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Got it flicked. Makes good noise

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (JEC51, corvaired, CarDC, Nick_in_Manitou), 66 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,053
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.