Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#380279 12/13/16 01:46 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I didn't know where to stick this because I didn't want to cover some more importand and appropriate post at some other forum.

This is for our shut-in friends up North. To give them some thing to think about whilst they're sitting around the fire between trips to the woodshed to get yet another turn of wood. With thier cars winterized, roads closed, below freezing outside what in the world do they have to do? This should help:

Question One: We all know that the drive-train furnishes the power for the car to move down the road but do we know if the car is being pushed or pulled? While the drive-train moves itself forward by the traction of the rear wheels (just one at a time) but where soes the car's body get its push or pull? Hmmm. Read on.

It seems to me that the car's body is pushed along with the chassis and front end by the rear springs that are attached at the forward position via the spring eye bushings. Owing to the fact that the rear of the springs are henged it couldn't be there, could it.

Think about my analysis and solution to this question and see iff you agree with me.

Question Two:

How many of the teeth in the ring gear are being presueized at a time. That is, as the pinion gear thrns against the ring gear how man teeth of each are action upon at a time. I say just one. What do you think?

Questiion Three:

What is the optimum operating temperture of our old 207/216 engines? I would say 180 degrees farenhieght. What do you say?

Question Four:

If you changed your oil on the old 207 or 216 and the only oil you culd get was 20 weight or 40 weight, what would your choice be? (Why?

Forget about the weather for this one. Let's say it is summer time where ever you are in the continential USA.) And, that the oil change is merely temporary)

Question Five: (your modern car)

Does it do any good to crank the temperture setting all the way up when the car is cold? In other words if you want it to be a plesent 72 degrees inside does it do any good to crank it up to 85 or so? If you know the answer to this one it will help me convience either me or my wife.

Charlie computer

Last edited by 41specialdeluxe; 12/13/16 01:47 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Gee Charlie I hope you don't get too many replies about where to stick it. I'd like to answer all your questions but I'm too busy roasting marshmellows on the fire while I contemplate the best way to help my fellow Americans who have been either flooded or burned out. Hope you have not been affected by either.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Sounds like someone other than us is housebound...

1) I think the car is PUSHED down the road. But if you have one of those Stylish Fulton thingies, then perpetual motion would apply as the aerodynamic shape would pull the car down the road at the same rate the car pushes itself forward.

2) My stab is 3 Ring Gear teeth: One takes most of the force while one on either side take a partial load.

3) Correct typical Operating temp is around 82C. Yep they seem to like 180F at least in the Great White North.

4) 20. I use that #@$$ in everything. Easy/fast cranking, fast flow on startup and good misting to lube cylinders. Maybe 40 in Texas or prior to really long road trip at high temp - mainly to offset leakage.

5) Depends on the particular modern car. If current car opens the air damper 100% when you want any heat above the current temperature it doesn't matter what the setting is. If the computer only opens the damper in stages, then yes, cranking it way above the temperature you really want, might quiet the missus sooner. You really don't need a heater in SC anyway right?

Last edited by canadiantim; 12/13/16 02:58 PM.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Steve,,

We were affected by hurricane Matthew big time. Personnaly a large oad in my front yard blew over. Took two of my sons and the dad of a neighbor three days to get that sucker cut up and removed from the driveway. Took a month for the city to come by and get what was left after everyone who wanted fire wood to get it.

When tornados hit the area some few years ago I was out cutting and pulling trees and for a week.

You see, I know what it is to lend a hand and I know what is to get a helping hand. I'm sorry you think so little of me.

This whole area was flooded by Mattlew. Some houses completely underwater.

I hope all your marshmellows catch on fire and your missus punches you light out.

Just kidding about that last part. Make some smores. Agrin

Best,
Charlie computer

BTW: I watch the news and feel badly for all out buddies up north who are experiencing such terrible weather right now.

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Tim,

All good replies.

I hope you are weathering the weather nicely. Roast some marchmellows as Steve does. Agrin

Charlie computer

BTW: It is NORTH CAROLINA not South Carolina. There are many differences between the two. In NC we tend to think possoms are merely cute rather than plentiful, mouth-watering table fare.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
#20 oil was specified by Chevrolet for temperatures above 10 DEG above zero. Would never consider using #40 in a splash lubricated engine.
Chevolet also said if in doubt a "thin" oil is safer than a "thick" oil.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 12/13/16 07:06 PM.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
#20 oil was specified by Chevrolet for temperatures above 10 DEG above zero. Would never consider using #40 in a splash lubricated engine.
Chevolet also said if in doubt a "thin" oil is safer than a "thick" oil.

iagree

Ed
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Thanks Gene and Uncle Ed,

That was my thinking, as well.

Charlie computer

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.