Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#380063 12/08/16 05:45 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
So I have pulled the windshield, rear window, and mouse nest infested headliner from my 1941 Master Deluxe. I am preparing to replace the headliner and window rubbers, but have been arguing with myself about the proper order. I don't think I am going to use all the pesky tacks to reinstall the headliner - I plan to use a pneumatic stapler.

It would seem easier to do the headliner first so the glass isn't in my way of getting to the tacking strips. But then I debate that it may be easier to put the glass in first without the fear of stretching or tearing the headliner or getting sealer on it.

Any thoughts or preferences you folks have on the order of install?

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I had mice get in my headliner on my 37 P/U. They had to get there up the post by the windshild. I stuffed some steel wool in there to block it.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I strongly recommend you install the glass first, not the headliner. You will damage the headliner if you do it first. You need a lot of extra room and soapy water to get the glass and rubber weatherstrip into position. The soapy water would make a mess of the headliner. I would not use any sealer in the process until I had driven the car in the rain and the weatherstrip leaked. You can always apply the sealer, and it is too messy to consider doing it as part of your original installation process.

The following posts will help you with the process. This job requires a lot of patience, planning, and time. It may be best done alone with 2 to 3 hours of uninterrupted time.

Give me a call if you have any questions.

Good luck, Mike
989-832-7634

41 Master Deluxe Windshield Glass Installation

41 Master Deluxe Vertical Windshield Divide

41 Master Deluxe Rear Glass Installation

Mike 41 Chevy
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank You Mike. I appreciate the posts you had put together. These really helped me to plan my attack. I'm going to attempt the rear window this weekend as it seems easier. Your car is my cars twin, a ruby maroon 41 Master Deluxe.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Mice a problem?
Can get to plague numbers here and write a car off by damaging the interiors and in modern vehicles in particular, the electrical wiring.
Several of my friends on farms where the problem is often severe, protect their old cars, trucks, tractors and harvesters by putting a small tray of napthalene flakes or balls in the cabin. These are removed and cab aired out before vehicle usage. Mice seem to hate the smell and stay away.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
the best product for keeping mice from setting up camp in your car / truck is available from AMAZON.COM

PRODUCT IS CALLED........CAB FRESH.

I put down old socks in the car full of mothballs, I loaded the floor with dryer sheets.

Feeling I was safe , when I got the coupe out last spring I found in the trunk right at the very rear, under the trunk lid latch , a real nice nest the mouse had made from the carpet material into a nice bed. Guess it might have got chilly as the evil one dragged a dryer sheet onto the nest to sleep on or use as a blanket ????

Last spring I left the little weasel a bowl of mice poison and another bowl of automotive antifreeze.. So far no D B's have been found .

mike wizard

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I never use poison. Dead mice dont smell good and you never know where they die. Set traps and check every day or so.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I also put those small bottles of Peppermint Oil with the top off. The kind my wife buys at the grocery store for baking. It leaves a nice smell and mice hate it, too. I also place plastic lids off of jars filled with Moth Balls in the trunk and engine compartments, too. Don't forget to plug the tail pipe...those buggers will build a nest in that too.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

If you leave the plugs out of a 4-cylinder, those boogers can go through the plug holes and build a nest on top of the pistons, yes plural, a nest in all 4 holes.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
My first attempt to keep mice out of the Chev I used mothballs. I think the little buggers used them to have soccer games in the trunk. Lots of evidence of mice, a bit of chewed seat stuffing. Next time, going by what a friend told me, I put the car up on blocks, then sprinkled Comet cleaner around each block. Not a shred of mouse evidence after that.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
After reading this thread I ordered some CAB FRESH through Amazon.

It arrived today. I placed a packet in all four cars.

Got my fingers crossed.

Bill B

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I wonder what is Charlie's solution to the critter issue? Maybe he spreads the seeds of his wisdom around and that chases them away. rolllaugh
Let's hear from you Charlie.

Dick

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.