Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#377269 10/21/16 12:31 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The speedometer instrument in my '25 Touring is only half working. The odometer seems to work fine---odometer and trip meter. But the speedometer just "flaps" in the breeze. I want to take it apart to see what's going on, but can't figure out how to dismantle it. What is the trick to getting the "guts" out without damaging the outside ring holding the whole thing together?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

I have bad news for you. There is not much to be gained by disassembly of the 25 speedometer. What you will find is that the tower (?), which is made from potmetal, has warped and probably also broken and is not fixable.

Try to locate a 25 speedometer for another GM product of the same year and use that.

Don't bother sending your speedometer to one of the speedometer places, even if they accept it the bill will put you in a state of shock. I have been quoted in excess of $1000 for repair.

If you find a speedometer at a swap meet, twist rapidly and see if the speed indicator moves smoothly for the entire scale, then check to see if the shaft will turn freely. You may then have a display speedometer.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Send a picture.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.