Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#376407 10/04/16 09:38 AM
47Aero Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have what looks like the original trans in my 47, and if I pull up to a stop and the trans is in 3rd, I cannot get it out of 3rd unless I am moving (so I have to slip the clutch a bit and take off in 3rd, then I can go to second once I am moving). The rest of the shifts are OK, and the linkages have been renewed with bushes, etc. What could be the worn part/s that need replacing,or is it adjustment?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I would start with the assumption that the problem is with the linkage. Try disconnecting the linkage at the transmission and shortening it by loosening it by a 360 degree revolution of the shaft. Make sure you count each revolution you try. After each attempt check the results by a road test.

If the linkage can not be turned at the bottom then you will have to make the adjustments at the top of the shaft where it connects to the steering column in the engine compartment. Adjustments there take a lot of patience and fine motor skills as you deal with cramped quarters and a spring, washer, and carter pin.

Good luck, Mike

P.S. I read your old transmission posts back to 2013. Your present post and the old ones do not give us much background info that we could use to help you. What work have you previously done on the transmission? Is this a new problem, or has the transmission always performed this way? Do you have vacuum assist still installed? Have you ever adjusted the transmission linkage? Have you looked inside your transmission to see its condition? We have discussed transmission shifting problems before, have you searched old posts for assistance? Do you know how to do a SEARCH of our old postings?

Mike 41 Chevy
47Aero Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the info Mike. I have only found out this happens by accident when I had to come to an emergency stop and It was still in 3rd, so I don't know if it has been there all the time since I bought the car. The vacuum assist was removed before I got the car as well. I have been searching (and I changed the mounts, as suggested to cure "jumping out of gear" and it worked!!) but found nothing very specific. I have not yet removed or opened up the trans , but I will try the 1 turn at a time adjustment method.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If the car is right hand drive the adjustements and possible problems may not be the same as our L.H. cars.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.