Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have successfully jumped many 6 volt cars, including my own
from 12 volt sources with never a problem. I usually try to
have an assistant to help me in the process. First, I make
sure all lights an accessories are turned off. Next, have your
helper connect the 12 volt source to you battery pos to pos and neg t neg. I then engage the starter and while the engine
is cranking I turn on the ignition. Instruct you assistant to
disconnect the jumper as soon as the engine fires, and there
should be no damage to the 6 volt electrical system. It has
always worked for me! The best solution is to always maintain
the 6 volt system so you don't have to jump it!

flip
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
iagree

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
"The best solution is to always maintain
the 6 volt system so you don't have to jump it!"

Flip and Gene,

You are masters of the obvious. Are too! auto

I doubt you two ever parked out near the woods with "little Suzy" luv2 and had your pleasure dampened by the constant and nagging thought of "will this old car start when I get ready to take her home. ("Little Suzy not the car. ) Anyway, the thrill of that old sucker a-turning over and starting is better than the finest orgasm you ever experienced. You two really must have lead unadventurous lives. (Read on)

Before you went out on a date you always borrowed Dad's new car rather than drive you own heap. I can see you pulling up to her house like Richie Cunningham on "Happy Days." Of course you could have gone over your old 39 just before each date, checking out all the battery connections and topping off with distilled water; pulling the starter to look for worn brushed, bushings, change a field or two, and cleaning the armature and commutator. dance

Where is the thrill of adventure? I bet you wouldn't even play the radio when out there with the crickets and mosquitos. When "Little Suzy would say "Gene (Flip), I sure would like some music whilst we are just a-sitting here a-waiting to spot deer with your Captain Marvel Special Flashlight." You probably replied "No Suzy, it may drain the car's battery a mite and you know that I am a always cognizant of "never having to jump the battery." Now shut up and move on back over to your side of the car. Mercy, some date you are." Gene, I'll bet you and Flip were first in your class, wore taped up glasses, and had a pocket protector. Double mercy! Agrin

Best,
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Charlie, you make a number of good points.

Isn't using the hand crank the alternate starting method when the battery is low? Besides, if the car won't start in the woods, you're stuck with Suzy a little longer.

laugh

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Charlie,
Despite the audacious description I respectfully consider it BS. All you had to do when in the woods with Suzy was park on a hill or downslope. Once rolling pop the clutch in second and it was running. If no hill then you had to teach Suzy how to push. Not a fun experience.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Well Charlie I can see now why you love the Fleetlines so much....The 1st Chevy Babe magnet....Add some wood and a Fulton... Suzy's friends would be standing in line!!!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I would be interested in a 6V jumper as well. Let me know when they are available.

31 Chevy Roadster
64 Corvette
76 Corvette
77 Grand Prix
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
A representative from the MaxxStart company contacted me after I sent them an email. They are doing research to see if the 6volt jumper is a viable product. If you would like to be included in their research, send me your email address and I will forward it to them. I would love to see this product become a reality!
Doug

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I just looked at the MAXXSTART site and they show a 6V jump start pack at $400.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by 41specialdeluxe
"The best solution is to always maintain
the 6 volt system so you don't have to jump it!"

Flip and Gene,

You are masters of the obvious. Are too! auto

I doubt you two ever parked out near the woods with "little Suzy" luv2 and had your pleasure dampened by the constant and nagging thought of "will this old car start when I get ready to take her home. ("Little Suzy not the car. ) Anyway, the thrill of that old sucker a-turning over and starting is better than the finest orgasm you ever experienced. You two really must have lead unadventurous lives. (Read on)

Before you went out on a date you always borrowed Dad's new car rather than drive you own heap. I can see you pulling up to her house like Richie Cunningham on "Happy Days." Of course you could have gone over your old 39 just before each date, checking out all the battery connections and topping off with distilled water; pulling the starter to look for worn brushed, bushings, change a field or two, and cleaning the armature and commutator. dance

Where is the thrill of adventure? I bet you wouldn't even play the radio when out there with the crickets and mosquitos. When "Little Suzy would say "Gene (Flip), I sure would like some music whilst we are just a-sitting here a-waiting to spot deer with your Captain Marvel Special Flashlight." You probably replied "No Suzy, it may drain the car's battery a mite and you know that I am a always cognizant of "never having to jump the battery." Now shut up and move on back over to your side of the car. Mercy, some date you are." Gene, I'll bet you and Flip were first in your class, wore taped up glasses, and had a pocket protector. Double mercy! Agrin

Best,
Charlie computer
Yes I did park up with Little Suzy in 1964 when I Got my '39 and I always made sure I was parked facing downhill 'cos 2 hours of Elvis etc on the all bells and whistles 6 tube superheterodyne would certainly dispose of the battery charge and her father was someone to be truly feared!

ColinGrant
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I don't know why you would want a 6 volt jumper. I have used a 12 volt for years with no problems. If there is a starting problem the 12 volt will spin it over musch faster and it will start much more quickly.
One of our members has a 1947 with a 12 volt system. It still has the 6 volt starter and has been performing well for over 10 years on 12 volts.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
iagree I have started 6 volt cars with 12 volt jumpers for years with no problems, just make sure the 6 volt lights etc. are turned off.

Ed
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Keith Knox, Tiny, THH, cufrcp), 86 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,066
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.