Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#374006 08/19/16 10:39 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Where can I find the guidelines for the Historical Preservation class?

Verne

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Verne
In the Members Services section, on the VCCA Homepage toolbar, there is a menu accessible to dues paying members for this and a load of other info.

If you already are a member, add your member number, found on your membership card or address label for the G&D, to your profile in the Chat. One of the gatekeepers will check it and work the magic to get you the access.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks,
The problem is that I'm no longer a paid member.
Verne

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
That's too bad......

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
Guess you just found another reason to be a VCCA member.

Just curious why are you interested in Judging Guidelines if you are not a VCCA member? Is a membership in your future?

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have a car that I "think" would qualify but I'd like to read the guidelines before I rejoin with plans to bring it to a judged event.
I'm very disappointed in the other judging venues that are out there now for full size cars from the '60s. And especially disappointed in the lack of support for original cars in the hobby today.
I'm thinking the VCCA might be a better place for me than where I am today. Since the LGCA got bought (dissolved, absorbed, ruined, cashed out) the hobby has gone to pot where these cars are concerned (IMO). I worked with them for many years helping to refine their judging methods and eventually thought their venue awarded a Gold to a car that actually deserved it. The other associations that judge these cars today might just as well put the gold award in the goodie bag.

Verne

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The HPOCF cars are not judged to get awards. The cars are certified to be origianl in four different areas, interior, exterior, engine compartment and under car. Some minor "restoration" in these areas are permitted. To qualify for this class at least two of the "areas" must be certified by the judgeds to be original.

This is a quick description of the class.
One purpose was to present the cars as they originally looked when new.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
In my opinion the VCCA still has some improvement that would make HPOCF (Historical Preservation of Original Chevrolet Features) much better. I have mentioned it several times to the VCCA Judging Committee leadership.

Those vehicles should be the most revered of all Chevrolets. They are preserved examples of how they were originally built and delivered. With changes to the HPOCF others could use them to either preserve or restore similar vehicles. One change would be mandatory documentation available at each show so others might know what to copy and what was changed or deteriorated.

I currently own one '70 Caprice that has certified in 4 areas at two different VCCA meets. It has been driven over 17,000 miles in the past 5+ years much of it VCCA touring. Have another, a '51 two door, that would also qualify for HPOCF in at least 3 areas. It also is a tour car with many miles on VCCA tours. The '51 even has most of the visor sleeve explaining the PG to the new car owners. It is still in place and stays there even on tours.

A few articles on HPOCF vehicles in the G&D might also help promote preservation and bring more "original" vehicles to VCCA events.

Verne hope you decide to come back to the VCCA. Maybe you can help make it better. BTW I gave up on several other clubs that were or became fronts of commercial ventures.

ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
To add a little to Gene's post. To certify two of the four areas (interior, exterior, engine compartment, chassis) need to be evaluated as at least 75% preserved original. It is a process that is done with the owner present and participating. The evaluation or certification team consists of a Team Captain and four evaluators. I have been on several teams as both an evaluator and team captain. It is a learning experience for all involved. We had a bunch of first class cars a Tahoe to evaluate. Also made some suggestions to a couple of owners on what to do to to better preserve their cars.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
It all sounds like a good process. In the later years of LGCA judging (display), owners of unrestored cars filled out a form that was placed on the windshield stating what components were replaced and deviated from original. The purpose of that was to inform others as to which parts were not original while they studied each car to learn what details to strive for on their restorations. The form was added to or modified by the tech team during pre-classification to make sure it was accurate. (I was usually a part of that process)
Since the best purpose that these original cars serve is for education, the "grading" on those forms helped to ensure that observers gained knowledge that was accurate.

I appreciate everyone's comments.
Verne

"Those vehicles should be the most revered of all Chevrolets. They are preserved examples of how they were originally built and delivered."
I couldn't agree with that more.

Last edited by Verne_Frantz; 08/20/16 05:02 PM.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
When you review a car with an owner often there are incorrect changes the owner isn't even aware of.
Also some swear up and down that the paint is original until you point out why it is not.

Gene Schneider
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
And many will say "that is how the car was when I bought it so it must be correct!"

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well, I joined on line yesterday. There was no opportunity to mention my old membership number so I received the latest one.
I entered the Member's Only section and downloaded the HPOCF Registration Form but I can't seem to find a link to the actual guidelines where approved changes/unapproved changes are mentioned. Is that information available other than what is on the Registration form?

Verne

ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
Welcome back.

I just verified your membership and upgraded you to VCCA member on Chat. You now can visit the forums restricted to VCCA members and post certain size photos.

I can't see your magic number so you can register on the vcca.org website. You can call member services on Monday to get it or wait for your club magazine. It will be on the mailing label. Once you have it you can register to see members only sites on the main website. That includes a copy of the Judging Guidelines. When opened you will be able to read the criteria for HPOCF. It is more extensive than on the evaluation form.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Chipper. I have my membership # via email when I joined. I'll try to navigate to the guidelines.

Verne

OK, I can log into the Member's Only area (it didn't require a member number). I can't find anywhere that requires a member number. I can get to the Resource Center through Member Services, but I can't find the guidelines. I've checked all the links that are available to me.

Last edited by Verne_Frantz; 08/21/16 01:54 PM.
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
OK, I think I found what quidelines there are, but they are buried under the Class (Jr & Sr) link. To make it more clear, I'd suggest that it is also (at least the pages that deal with HPOCF) added under a link within the HPOCF link.

Verne

ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
Yes the Judging Manual is under Class Judging link. Including sections of the manual dealing with HPOCF also included under that link is a good suggestion.

The judging manual is the document that guides all processes on the show field. In addition to the specifics in the HPOCF section the responsibilities of all involved should also be reviewed. Even though HPOCF is an evaluation it requires the same qualifications and responsibilities as class judging. The HPOCF vehicles must also go through Field Entrance check so that section should be reviewed as well.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I read it all. Good stuff. When is the next event within 500mi of NJ?

Verne

ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
Verne,
Check the G&D when you get it. Coming Events page(s) list upcoming activities. Also check with you local Region (listed in the G&D) for other events. The events calendar on the VCCA.org website lists a show at Oyster Bay, NY on September 25.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I did manage to find that show in the events listings from the home page. I sent an email for more info a few days ago but so far no response. sleep2

Verne

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
The 54th Central Meet is to held in Elmira, NY in July 2017.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Sounds like a good trip. Do you know where it's going to be held?

I still haven't heard from the contact person for the Oyster Bay event.

thanks
Verne

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
"do you know where it's going to be held?"

No, not at this time. The subject was discussed in another thread at the completion of the 53rd Central Meet recently with no further information.

I attended the last Central Meet held in Elmira a few years back. It was the first time that Region had held a Central Meet and they did a great job.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Verne did you contact Chris G for the Oyster Bay event? It is unlike him not to get back to anyone, I am down in Ocala now heading back north on Monday/Tuesday I will try to get in touch with Chris later today

John

1954 Belair Sport Coupe
1960 2 door Impala Hardtop 348/340HP 4spd
1962 2 door Impala Hardtop 409/409 4spd
1962 2 Door Biscayne Sedan 327/250 Auto
1977 Monza Mirage 305 4 Speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Yes, His name was Chris. You'd think that if a chapter is hosting an event and they publish an email on their event listing that someone would be taking a look at their emails from time to time. Maybe they don't want any more entries?????

Verne

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (modiol, 1 invisible), 63 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.