Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
This morning I'm hitting the Highways and Interstates on the way to South Lake Tahoe Nevada/California for the 2016 55th Anniversary meet. In tow is my freshly restored 1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan.

[Linked Image from i150.photobucket.com]

Tune in for for my drive across your beautiful country, and then a week long adventure of friends, fun, and vintage Chevrolets!

Last edited by brewster; 06/19/17 07:42 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Have a safe journey. We leave Saturday morning....Joe

See America's First...Chevrolet

1931 Sedan Delivery 31570
1933 Standard Sports Coupe 33628.
1934 Master Sedan Delivery Canadian 177/34570
1968 Z/28 Camaro
1969 SS 396 Camaro
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Have a great trip! We are leaving early Sunday morning and we should arrive in Tahoe in the mid-afternoon.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Be sure to keep us posted from home to home. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. I'll be with you in spirit.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
At the top of this thread,
click on TOPIC OPTIONS,
and then on ADD THIS THREAD TO MY WATCHED TOPICS.

Now you'll receive an email each time a new posting is made here.

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thanks Bill! Now the pressure is on me to make posts! ok

I'm now on day two of the drive to Tahoe. Wednesday started out a bit late because once again I couldn't sleep the night before a VCCA tour! I slept in a bit until 7:00, went to my local coffee shop, and then hit the highway. 10km in I realized I forgot my new MasterCard at home, as the magnetic strip on my old one stopped working. Turned around to head home to get it. Got to give Abby a hug and a kiss, as she was up by then... well worth the first U-turn of the day!

The drive was fairly uneventful. Down the 401, and 402 to Sarnia, where I crossed the border into Port Huron Michigan. The border guard asked me about the child seat in the '51, and wondered where I was hiding the extra people. With all of the nice smooth Canadian highways behind me, I headed into the abyss that Michigan calls an interstate system. My favourite road signs are the ones that say "keep right unless passing". It translates to "Use this torn up, bumpy, broken half of the highway, and leave the nice lane for the idiots that want to speed." Uhggg... Lots of orange pylons too!

Lunch at a Wendy's, and a couple of stops for gas got me to just the other side of Chicago. I hit a rest area and got punished for being cheap! I figured I'd save a bit by sleeping in the truck when I could. The rest area was full of trucks and campers doing the same. The trucks were all left running all night, and it was really hot there! I thought maybe the sound of the trucks would lull me to sleep, like Abby's sleep sound machine at home. It didn't really work that way though. Also, the back seat of the truck isn't exactly comfortable. Maybe I'll hotel it tomorrow... Don't tell Jane I've given up on being cheap though!

The jet lag is already setting in. I woke up at 5:30am, and realized I hadn't set the clock back an hour. An early start today, and I even got 30 miles in before breakfast. I'm all loaded up on coffee now, and headed for the great wide west!

Hanging with the big rigs...

Last edited by brewster; 09/24/16 01:50 PM.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
My experiences with the big rigs is that a lot of the drivers will give you a fair go while you do the same. Leaving their engines idling while parked is a bit of a contradiction though. They probably wanted the air con to work while they rested.
Travel safely and enjoy the party in the middle
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Iowa... This state never ends. That is all.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The next state is even longer wave

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Geeze... Get my hopes up! Lol!

A shout out to my buddy Andy. While I'm wining about all the corn I've seen in Iowa, Andy has driven 1500 miles to North Dakota and Wyoming, and has also replaced a fan clutch after 200 miles in a hot truck! Way to go Andy!

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
[quote=Bill Barker]At the top of this thread,
click on [b]TOPIC OPTIONS[/b],
and then on [b]ADD THIS THREAD TO MY WATCHED TOPICS[/b].

Now you'll receive an email each time a new posting is made here. [/quote]

Won't work for me. Anyone else try this and is receiving e-mail notice of new posts to this thread ??

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I got an email informing me of your post. Make sure you have the correct email address in your profile. Also make sure the email in not in your spam folder. Some email servers don't like messages with wide distribution.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
"My Stuff"
"My Profile"
"Edit Profile"
Then make sure the question about if you want to receive emails is answered "yes"

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
email address in profile is correct and I have the "By default anything added to watch list be emailed to me" checked with a "yes".
nothing in spam folder either.

Dick
Just now saw in "File manager" the box "add this thread to my watched topics" was not checked. I have check it so maybe that was my problem.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Checking the file manager box should notify you of this reply. Hope to see all of you Sunday morning (late) in Tahoe.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
So today (Thursday) started out early...real early! As I said, I got up early with the truckers and drove 20 or 30 miles to a McDonalds for breakfast & journal writing. The morning coffee crew of locals checked out the car, and gave me the thumbs up on it too. I decided to hit the highway and really put some miles on today, as I knew I was going to have a bucket list stop this afternoon. After an hour or so of driving, it was into the Kum & Go for gas...

I also stopped and bought lunch supplies at a Walmart somewhere in Iowa, and had a nice picnic lunch somewhere in Iowa. I learnt that Iowa is big... and the corn is un-ending! Also, nobody told me there were so many hills in Iowa. I was picturing it being more flat like our Canadian Prairies... except full of corn instead of wheat. It seemed like I was constantly going uphill, and my gas milage went downhill.

Around Omaha, I hopped off of the interstate and took route 6 through the city in search of the Old Lincoln Highway. One of my bucket list things is to get pictures of my '51 on the three big brick ways of America. Two down, one to go. We need a tour to Indy...

Heading right through the city may not have been a great idea at 2 in the afternoon, but I liked looking at the buildings.

All I had for a location of the brick highway was "North of 181st street". It turned out to be harder to locate than I thought. I got the trailer down a gravel road. So much for keeping it clean. Maybe Dave Miner will wash it for me?

I got turned around, and found Matt Petersen out mowing his lawn and selling corn. I stopped to show him the picture of the road, and asked if he knew where it was. he gave me perfect directions, then told me I came too far to not take some corn for the road. You Americans are so helpful and nice! He also had this little International tractor out there that he putters around with. Told me he spends more time fixing it than using it... but he enjoys it. Sounds like a certain '50 convertible that I know too well! I'm saving the corn for tomorrow's picnic...

I ended up driving back into Elkhart Iowa, and unloading the car for the drive onto the bricks of the Lincoln Highway...

Last edited by brewster; 09/24/16 01:54 PM.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
My hat is off to you for unloading your car for the photo. That is dedication!! Impressive.

Bill B

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
After loading the car back up, I left the vent windows open because it's been super hot today. I got about 2 miles down the road and saw this coming...

A huge storm front blew in, and I had time to pull over, get the windows closed, take a couple pics, and hop back in the truck before it hit. It was more rain than i've ever seen at once! The interstate was backed up, as people couldn't see. They were pulled over to the sides and parked under bridges, or just puttering along at 20mph. It lasted about half an hour like this. When it calmed down I turned the radio on. There was tornado warning, and reports of one touching down where I just was!

An hour later, another front moved in. It felt like I could reach out the window and grab the cloud. Picked up the pace a bit, as it was coming from behind, and managed to outrun it before it dumped on me again. There was also pretty cool lightening from it!

While all of this was going on I didn't want to stop until I was beyond the weather. I cut it a little close...

I went 15 miles drafting a truck at 55mph to get to the aptly named "Petro Oasis"!

Tonight I'm hoteling it. My shower was much needed!

Last edited by brewster; 08/05/16 01:41 AM.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Sounds like you are having fun and doing the unload/reload for a couple of pics is real dedication but they are good pics, worth the effort.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Brick road-dirt road-fresh picked corn-and a natural car wash with a light show!! Welcome to the USA!! Glad to see you are enjoying your trip.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Nope, still not getting email notice of new postings to this thread. OH well, I'll just check several time a day on the forum to keep up with Bruce's adventure.

dick

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Bruce, good journal! Your making good time. It's the same trip I made in 2011 but in the opposite direction. This time it's payback...Six Serra View Region members are meeting at 10:00 AM Sunday for a grueling 158 mile trek to Tahoe. We may get the short distance award.
Looking forward a great meet and meeting you and other Chat members.
Jay

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Great Pics. I suppose next series will show your car in the middle of the Platte Rive at an Oregon Trail crossing. :driving:

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Bruce, I know you are pressed for time and there are hundreds of sites to see along the way, but there is a great car museum in Kearney, NE off I-80. Maybe something to consider on your way back.

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
So I slept in a bit yesterday morning... checkout time ended up being 8:00am. It was nice having a shave and a shower and a hot breakfast. Expensive... but nice! I hit the Interstate with the plan to roll up the miles and try to make it to Salt Lake City by nightfall. I didn't want to go past there, as I'm a little unsure of what there is for accomodations and rest stops in the middle of a dry lake!

The day started out with lots of Nebraska corn fields. Last week I picked up a National Geographic that was at the dealership while they changed the oil in the truck, and read about how America is running out of water as the farmers in the midwest drain the aquifiers beneath the earth to water their crops. I thought it was weird that even though it was raining heavily yesterday, they were still out there with all of the taps on!

As I drove along I all of a sudden saw a large cattle farm, then another. It was as if they drew a line and said “no corn farms after this point”! All of a sudden the rich greens of corn gave way to the dry browns of grass and scrub... and the hills sharpened into jagged little peaks. Then I started climbing. Up into the foothills of the High Plains.

I have no idea where it was, but I made a stop at a rest area just inside of Wyoming. It was the stop with the memorial to Lincoln for the Lincoln Highway. It's at the highest elevation of the highway. Without Jane around it's impossible to run the maps and concentrate on the driving... so I just drive along in ignorant bliss of where I've been, and hope to get where I'm going. As I got out of the truck an RV pulling a small Jeep pulled up and I was complimented on the nice Chevy! Thank you, whoever you are!

Back into the truck, and I headed out again. I made a stop at a Walmart in a town that looked exactly like Radiator Springs from the Pixar movie, Cars! I had to by a US certified fire extinguisher for the show on Tuesday. (Someday we'll have y'all up to Canada and watch you scramble to buy CSA approved extinguishers!)

Another few hours of driving, and it was time for lunch. You guessed it... Peanut butter sandwiches again! This time it was at a rest stop somewhere near the middle of Wyoming. As I was pulling out, The RV with the Jeep was just pulling in... Hey again, stranger!

The rest of the day until 5 or 6 was uneventful. I must be getting old... I dont drive by as many rest areas as I used to. Near the end of Wyoming I started to get into some really big hills. One thing I've noticed with the truck is that it doesn't like the altitude. When I get up around 6000ft, it really works and tries to hunt gears. I hit two long 5% grades that I had to put the four ways on and chug up with the trucks in 2nd gear with it held at 2800-3000rpm. The grass lands have given way to straight out desert now, and I'm weaving through mountain passes. The last long run was up into Echo Canyon, where I pulled into another rest area. I took a quick hike up the mountain and shot some neat photos.

When I got back, there was that RV for the 3rd time today! Small country! I met Gary and Judy. They are traveling from the east for the summer, and are seeing most of your beautiful country. They asked if I had dinner plans and quite frankly I did... more peanut butter sanwiches! Well, we negotiated a better deal for all of us. I supplied the Canadian beer (a nice Sleeman's Honey Brown) and the corn I got from Matt yesterday, while they supplied the hotdogs, coleslaw (Gary's secret recipe... I talked it out of him!) and the ice cream. We ended up having a really nice tailgate cook-out and meal. Sure beat peanut butter again! Gary worked for years as an autobody stripper back in Conneticut, so we had lots to talk about! I face timed Jane to brag about the coleslaw, and they told her that they've adopted me. She seemed a little too pleased...

Thank you very much for the meal and comraderie, Gary & Judy... Safe travels!

Last edited by brewster; 08/17/16 12:23 AM.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lou, minetto, BearsFan315, Rustoholic), 73 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,060
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.