Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#358228 12/16/15 05:40 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
97 000 Kms, and the Dealership tells me today that we need a new engine! We have the 4 cylinder, and it has had oil problems since day 1. The "oil life monitor" read 87% the first time we took it for an oil change, and the told us it was "almost out of oil. We were slightly over on the Kms, but nowhere's near on the time, and nowhere near using up 4litres of oil! They told me "that was with in the expected parameters". They also told us there was a recall for the oil if monitoring system. We got a recall about needing to replace piston rings last year, and the dealership told me ours didn't have enough miles on it to need it now.

Yesterday, it started stalling out... sounded like a timing belt to me, and they now phoned and told us it was out of oil... and needs a dining belt. Not at the Kms, but 3 weeks over the time. (highway driven). They think it's going to need a new engine. Powertrain warranty is still in effect... it better be covered!

I'm never buying a four-banger again!

Last edited by brewster; 12/16/15 05:41 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
World's Greatest

Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
"The World's Best Chevrolet Club"
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I had a 2011 Equinox with a Four Cylinder. Problem with those vehicles is that the 4 cylinders and the 6 cylinders have the same six speed transmission. While the 4 cylinder is great around town it's not worth it's weight on the highway with the Cruise Control on as the Engine is wrapped up all the time. I traded mine off after two months.

Jon T.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
There is a problem with SOME 4 cylinder models. At first they were replacing the engines. Then they discovered it was a problem with the pistons. I have seen many of them having their pistons eplaces UNDER WARRANTY. They have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty.
If your dealer does not help you contact the factory....see your owners manual for contact number in Canada.
They also have problemms with the timing chain tensioners and timing chains. Was usually caused by not changing oil often enough. Engines with overhead cams and chains with tensioners should have the oil changed from 4000 to 5000 miles depending on type of driving and temperature such as winter driving.

For some reason this problem only occurs in the Equinox version of that engine and not all.....just some egines built during certain build dates. Chevrolet is well aware of the problem.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I do not rely on the monitor systems. I waited once on my Silverado to see when it would recommend a change and it was 9000 miles and 18 months. I don't have the manual in front of me but I believe it recommends at least once a year and I do not go past 5,000 miles. I always used to do it at 3,000 but got tired of draining clean oil. I do use full synthetic for the 5,000 miles and always change the filter. Hopefully your dealer is one that will work to take care of your problem.

Steve D
m006840 #358235 12/16/15 07:14 PM
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I agree with the above except I change every 3000 miles, a little sooner in the winter and longer in the summer. I put on about 7000 a year and most is at 3 miles at a time.
Change my own oil and get Quaker State synthetic at Menards for about $3 a Qt. with rebate.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
We have a 2010 GMC Terrain which is the same as the Equinox. Have had it back to the dealer four times for timing chain, tensioner work. Still don' think it is right but continues to run.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Chipper #358237 12/16/15 07:17 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
We'll see tomorrow. They're calling in some expert to look at it...

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by brewster
97 000 Kms, and the Dealership tells me today that we need a new engine! We have the 4 cylinder, and it has had oil problems since day 1. The "oil life monitor" read 87% the first time we took it for an oil change, and the told us it was "almost out of oil. We were slightly over on the Kms, but nowhere's near on the time, and nowhere near using up 4litres of oil! They told me "that was with in the expected parameters". They also told us there was a recall for the oil if monitoring system. We got a recall about needing to replace piston rings last year, and the dealership told me ours didn't have enough miles on it to need it now.

Yesterday, it started stalling out... sounded like a timing belt to me, and they now phoned and told us it was out of oil... and needs a dining belt. Not at the Kms, but 3 weeks over the time. (highway driven). They think it's going to need a new engine. Powertrain warranty is still in effect... it better be covered!

I'm never buying a four-banger again!

Let's cover all this, one item at a time.

1. Oil problems since day one.
Do you have dealership repair orders, documenting your oil problems?

2. We were slightly over on the Kms, but nowhere's near on the time, and nowhere near using up 4litres of oil!
What is this sentence saying?

3. They also told us there was a recall for the oil if monitoring system.
Did you have the OLM recall performed ?

4. We got a recall about needing to replace piston rings last year, and the dealership told me ours didn't have enough miles on it to need it now.
Does your recall for rings indicate a MINIMUM mileage criteria, BEFORE they will replace the rings ?

Do you have written documentation, from the dealer, stating the time to perform your ring recall is "too soon now" ?

5. Yesterday, it started stalling out... sounded like a timing belt to me, and they now phoned and told us it was out of oil... and needs a dining belt. Not at the Kms, but 3 weeks over the time. (highway driven).
Are you saying the powertrain warranty or the bumper to bumper warranty has expired, or has the scheduled time to replace a belt, gone beyond its limit, time wise ?

BEFORE contacting Chevrolet needlessly, is the dealership going to replace your engine, under the provisions of the factory warranty?

If the answer is "yes", you're on your way to a new engine.

If the answer is "no", you need the following information, at your fingertips, before you make contact with Chevrolet.

1. VIN
2. Delivery Date.
3. Current miles on vehicle.
4. ALL REPAIR ORDERS, in chronological order, showing dealership and/or independent shop work, going from first repair order to current.
5. If you do your own maintenance, a log of events, showing the work you have performed, should be available.

My 35 years with Chevrolet are my reasons for asking and stating all the above.

If you are fully prepared with correct documentation, you're more likely to get a favorable outcome .... IF you are currently being denied for warranty coverage.

Fact is, you may be asked for documentation, even if warranty coverage is applied.

FYI, A friend, here in NC, just had his Equinox 4 cylinder engine replaced, under factory warranty, instead of having only the rings replaced.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
I read it's a problem with the high pressure fuel pump getting gasoline into the oiling system, and causing the oil to thin out. Also eats up the timing belts. GM knows about the problem, and my warranty is good up until 160 000km or Dec.2016 here. They wanted me to do an "oil consumption test" by driving it another 3000k so they can measure if it's losing oil. I've read that is a stall tactic, they already know it's losing oil. They're just hoping the customer trades it in. I won't be doing that.

Last edited by brewster; 12/16/15 08:30 PM.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Sorry to hear about your problems. I can definitely appreciate what you are going through.

I won't buy a new car with a four-cylinder engine. The new car that we bought a few years ago has a V8 and we love it! Had to go to a non-GM product to get a car with a V8 however.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
Sorry to hear about your problems. I can definitely appreciate what you are going through.

I won't buy a new car with a four-cylinder engine. The new car that we bought a few years ago has a V8 and we love it! Had to go to a non-GM product to get a car with a V8 however.

laugh wink beer2

If the subject is engine problems/concerns, the earlier production 2009 Chevy Traverse, with its' V6, had a wheelbarrow full of issues. I own one, but my '09 is a June production, so some of the engine oiling kinks were resolved.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I read it's a problem with the high pressure fuel pump getting gasoline into the oiling system, and causing the oil to thin out. Also eats up the timing belts. GM knows about the problem, and my warranty is good up until 160 000km or Dec.2016 here. They wanted me to do an "oil consumption test" by driving it another 3000k so they can measure if it's losing oil. I've read that is a stall tactic, they already know it's losing oil. They're just hoping the customer trades it in. I won't be doing that.

If the engine was losing/leaking oil at the rate you posted, the engine bay and undercarriage would be saturated with oil.

Do they still want an oil consumption test NOW, or is the dealership ready and willing to replace the engine NOW ?

If you feel "static" coming from the dealership, if me, and I know it isn't, I would have a "sit down, face to face" with the Service Manager or Service Director.

I would also have all my documentation in order, and at my side, at this meeting, to get the commitment that an engine replacement will take place, at Chevy's expense.

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
I'm not sure... some "expert" is going to look at it tomorrow. I'm a little concerned the "expert" works for the warranty company...

I'm calling B.S. on the consumption tests. They have it documented on their own notes that it was low on oil 3 different times. I don't think they need to test to see if it's losing oil now... it is.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I'm not sure... some "expert" is going to look at it tomorrow. I'm a little concerned the "expert" works for the warranty company...

I'm calling B.S. on the consumption tests. They have it documented on their own notes that it was low on oil 3 different times. I don't think they need to test to see if it's losing oil now... it is.

The warranty company you are speaking of is Chevrolet Motor Division. The "expert" you mention would be the Area Service Manager. This individual is employed by Chevrolet Motor Division, not the dealership.

The dealership Service Managers answer to the factory Area Service Managers, for warranty issues, beyond the "norm". . The Area Service Managers have the authority to accept or reject warranty claims, within or outside the normal parameters of the stated factory warranty.

Please understand, the name or title of "Area Service Manager" may be known by a different title, in Canada, but wanted you to know the pecking order of who's who.

F.Y.I, if you call Chevrolet Customer Service to issue a complaint, a "case number" is assigned to you and your vehicle.

Chevrolet Customer Service does NOT make warranty coverage decisions on their own.

Instead, they hear your complaint, issue you a case number, then C.C.S. contacts the dealership Customer Service Representative. This dealership representative may or may not be the dealership Service Manager. If the concern can be rectified at this level, all is good.

However, the dealership and/or Chevrolet Customer Service may have to contact the AREA SERVICE MANAGER, for a final authorization, or denial of warranty.

P.S. A belated "Happy Birthday" to you!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Your Equinox does not have a timing belt (rubber) it has a timing chain (metal) like a bicycle chain.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thanks Bob... good to have all of the inside info when I go in there from both you and Gene!

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
Your Equinox does not have a timing belt (rubber) it has a timing chain (metal) like a bicycle chain.

So how is this messing up the timing chain? No lube causing the links to stick? It can't stretch out, right?

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Chev Nut

So how is this messing up the timing chain? No lube causing the links to stick? It can't stretch out, right?

Timing chains can stretch, without adequate oiling, just like the chain on you chain saw.

That was the specific issue with the '09 Traverse V6. During most of the '09 model run, the oil passage in block to the chains was insufficient, undersized, causing inadequate oiling and chain failures.

BUT, add to the inadequately sized oil passage, to the fact that many owners go too long between oil changes. Now, you have sludge plugging the inadequate oil passage, which = stretched timing chains ... three chains to be specific.

Chevy called the Traverses back, reprogrammed the oil life monitor to "tick down" faster, which then, in theory, would produce more frequent oil changes and less sludge .... in the undersized, inadequate oil passage.

By late '09 model run, the V6 block was redesigned with LARGER oil passages, going to the timing chains.

Larger oil passages, plus the faster "ticking down" oil life monitor has stopped the timing chain failure issues ..... thus far.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
If you have not done so already I would advise you do an internet search on your cars problems. You will find you are not alone regarding oil CONSUMPTION (not loss), timing chain problems, etc. and it not only can affect the engine but also the catalytic converter due to the higher temps from burning excessive oil. The sad part is the many various B.S. explanations that people are getting from their Chevrolet dealers and the factory . With the information you have here and what you learn online you can be better prepared when discussing your problem with GM.

Steve D
m006840 #358292 12/17/15 01:19 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Update... So I took all of the advice here, and did some reading on other forums about "oil consumption tests" and this problem. The last time I went in for an oil change, I told the service tech that it sounded rough, and mentioned the piston issue. Up here, they did not do a recall, but issued a bulletin that said something to the tune of "check with your service advisor to see if your car has a problem." I specifically asked about that, and was told No, once we change the oil it should be fine. They changed the oil and told me it was down 3 quarts. I got into an argument with the advisor about wether or not an engine should lose 3 quarts of oil or not. It wasn't sitting in my driveway, or my wife spot at work. She told me that was well within spec. She suggested we do an "oil consumption test, would I bring the car back after 3000km? Sure I said. Now, I don't drive it... It's Jane's car. By the time I noticed we were at the 3000, it was more like 4200. Under the 5000 regular maintenance, but over the "oil consumption test".

This morning she phones me and asks why I didn't bring it in on time! I told her I'd be right up to talk to her and the service manager. It was starting to sound like lawyer speak to me. Like I was going to be blamed.

When I got up there, I explained to her who I was and where I get my information from. Thanks to you guys, they all of a sudden started listening. I asked her what an"oil consumption test" consisted of, and she told me it's where they measure the amount of oil drained from the engine, and add more until the 5000km mark if it needs it. I told her that she has told me twice now, and the other advisor has told me once before that, that it has been very low on oil. (they had that on file) and I wasn't going to play their "oil consumption test" game. I also explained that i've bought 3 new cars from them, and if they want to see me again for so much as an oil change, this had better get fixed now.

She went in to talk to the service manager, came back and told me that it's going to get new pistons, rings, timing belt, and a whole bunch of other new seals and gaskets etc. I asked about the fuel pump, and explained that I didn't want a patch job until the warranty expires. She wasn't sure. I told her I wanted to speak to the Service manager.

He's a new guy, 6 months now on his second go-around with a GM dealer. I told him my concerns, then we had a discussion about engine rebuilding. He does it for fun on the week-ends as part of the Canadian Tire Cascar Series. (It's like a minor league for Nascar we have up here) He assured me he would personally be out there inspecting not only my piston replacement, but the other two in the shop at the same time. He showed me on the computer that there are two different bulletins for warranty work. One with the fuel leaking into the oil system, and one with under-sized pistons, where the tolerances around the rings are just too big. Mine falls under the second job. I did notice that a fuel pump seal was part of the job though.

To top it all off, he said he would cover a loaner car for me as well. They are usually only given under recall situations, but he really wants me to respect them for good customer service.

So today I'm driving a Chevy Cruise, and my local dealer is doing his best to make me happy.

Last edited by brewster; 12/17/15 01:21 PM.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Glad things are working out. Hope our Terrain continues to hold up. It is a very convenient around town and short trip vehicle. Not sure as it is beginning to make the whirring sound in the engine. Maybe time to trade it off.

It is always a good idea to do a little homework (computer??) prior to talking to the dealers. The answer the most often given is "they all do that" or something similar. I have had such bad service that I won't let my shadow cross the sills a that dealership. And I know both the brothers that run the place. I have had better luck with the GMC dealer across the street, even though I know several people who have had bad experiences there. Taking care of the customer (or lack thereof) is what got GM where they are today. My son works for Lexus, they understand that "service sells cars".

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
As of 3 weeks ago, the local dealer here replaced the 4 cylinder engine assembly, in the Equinox, belonging to my friend. Short block or long block, I am not certain of that fact, however. Perhaps a difference in Canadian and U.S. warranty policy ? Don't know that answer.

"Rebuilding" can be fine or "not so fine", depending on the tech who is performing the job. That statement is based on watching my techs do a job, like or surgeon, or watching the guy in the next stall, slapping crap together, like a short order cook.

Truly, the phrase "THE SPEED OF THE BOSS IS THE SPEED OF THE SHOP" is absolutely "dead on". If the manager cares, his hand picked employees will be the caring type ... if the boss is willy nilly, the workmanship will be at the lowest level.

My concerns with customers were my "easy" part of my job. The TOUGH part of my job was maintaining a crew of techs, who exhibited pride in their work, each day, every day.

The success of the rebuild, in the shop, depends on the tech doing the job .... AND THE SUPERVISION THE TECH HAS, WHILE HE IS REBUILDING THE ENGINE.

For me, there are too many variables in rebuilding to allow me to be comfortable with the "in shop" rebuilding process. But, that is me.

Happy the job is moving forward, under warranty.

I had my concerns, the service dept. "wording" sounded as if there was going to be an attempt to place the burden of repair upon your wallet.

You need to make a promise to yourself, after this surgery is complete.

Once per week, on level ground, and before initial start up for the day, check and record your oil level.

Do it religiously, even more important now, after the upcoming in shop rebuild.

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Yes, I'm going to track the oil levels weekly. My concern is more after another 20000 kms, but Im going to hop on it right away. Part of me thinks GM is trying to push these lemons past the 160 000km powertrain warranty.

We also talked about the techs. He told me he's paying them straight time. No bonus to push a 12hr job out in 8 hrs. He has a newer young guy there that he's trying to groom for the long haul...

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Yes, I'm going to track the oil levels weekly. My concern is more after another 20000 kms, but Im going to hop on it right away. Part of me thinks GM is trying to push these lemons past the 160 000km powertrain warranty.

We also talked about the techs. He told me he's paying them straight time. No bonus to push a 12hr job out in 8 hrs. He has a newer young guy there that he's trying to groom for the long haul...

I have never believed that a REPUTABLE dealer (there are some out there) or the factory has ever discouraged anyone from obtaining "warranty work" that is due to the customer.

That being said, like any business, there are some dealers and managers out there, who are looking for the gold in your pocket NOW, and the hell with you, after that.

Whether it is warranty work or customer pay work, the fact remains that it is work. That work, whatever the source, is the income for the service dept.

In your specific case, the manager and dealership owner have decided to pay their techs a hourly rate, instead of flat rate.

Paying hourly rate HELPS in getting the job done correctly, for flat rate ALWAYS encourages a tech to 'beat the time", which creates shortcuts or mistakes, in the overall job.

Hourly rate takes that "beat the clock" mentality away, which allows for more eyes to be dotted and more tees to be crossed, as the job is being performed.

Problem with paying hourly rate is the fact that it encourages techs to drag their feet, waste time, etc. Hourly rate employees are good, if they have the ability to manage their time efficiently.

Enough on the lives of dealerships, you now have insight. Be mindful of what you are being told, as this engine rebuild unfolds. Any questions or concerns, give a yell.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I agree with Bobg regarding the rebuild process rather that replacement with factory assembled. My main concern is the re-use of parts that may pass inspection but have reduced life left. Also the factory replacement could contain improved parts that are not replaced in a rebuild as long as they pass the inspection process. It's good that the service manager has made a commitment to remedy the situation, but be sure you have something in writing so there is no question down the road about what was promised and what was delivered.

Steve D
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Keith Knox, Tiny, THH, cufrcp), 86 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,066
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.