Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
hi there,
I finally installed a solution to the problem of charging my 6 volt battery under the seat of my Chevrolet standard 4 door sedan.
I kept reading about an "Anderson plug" and it intrigued me as to what is was. Its a plastic type electrical plug that when reversed upside down fits into the other half which is exactly the same molding of the other, yes its an amazing piece of engineering.Clever stuff indeed.

I attached two wires to one half of the Anderson plug and the other ends to the battery terminals. Drilled a hole in the floor, pocked the wires through and screwed the Anderson plug to the base of the seat under my legs.

Cut the clips off my 6 volt battery charger and attached an "Anderson plug to the wires.

Now when I wish to charge the battery, I just open the door and plug in the Anderson plug to the other mounted on the front of the seat frame and start charging the battery. No more struggling with removing the front seat, carpet and floor hatch to attach the charger leads to the battery.
Best mod made this year and there have been many.
My other best mod this year is fitting a 6 volt petrol pump in tandem with the mechanical pump, to assist with percolation of fuel on summer hot days of 35 deg C and above. Works a treat. Only turn it on to clear vapor lock if it happens. australia

The end

Peter

never give 100% unless you are giving blood.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Peter
Your idea of the anderson plug connection will make charging a much easier task. To take it a step further if you use heavier cables (same as battery to starter and earth) the same connection could be used to "jump start" if you get caught with flat battery away from your charger.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Your idea sounds great. But why take the seat out to get to the battery when all you need is to hook the charger up to the + wire on starter and just ground wherever?

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Earlier this year, I did a similar thing to my corvette. Permanently attached a small "jumper" wire (with a plug) to the battery terminals. Now when I need to put the tender on it, I just pop the hood and plug in the battery terminal to the jumper plug. Don't need to find a flashlight to look for the right terminal.

On my '31 I do as Chevy37 suggested. I open the hood and connect the positive to the starter cable. The negative to a spark plug base.

blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
hi there,
thats a good idea, I did not know that a battery could be charged that way.
Could the vehicle also be jump started in the same manner?

I have a battery isolator switch in the starter circuit so I guess that I would have to turn the isolator switch to the "ON" position, to allow the current to flow to the battery?
but in my case I will use my new Anderson plug set up.
Thanks for the info, that will be useful for others that have a battery under the front seat.... winner

Peter

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Peter
You are right about the isolator being turned on for the charger unless you can easily access the battery side of the isolator and jump starting is just as effective any where between the battery post and the heavy terminal of the starter, the negative (in theory) can be any where you can get a good contact.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I did the same for my 24 Superior except it is accessible from under the car. Very Handy but I'm curious if the judges give a hoot!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I wouldn't give a hoot if the judges did give a hoot.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
now thats a lot of Hooting and tooting , going on in here bana2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.