Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Hello all of you arm-chair drivers!! rolllaugh

I thoroughly enjoy reading Brewster's Journal along the East Coast, so I thought that I'd begin one for the West Coast tour that is about to begin. This year, it's special since the Annual Meleo/Farris Six-Cylinder Tour is being combined with the Southwest Fall Tour led by Dean Echols. Two for the price of one!!

I'm departing 5 days earlier than anyone else, since I'm going to meet with the folks at the MontBlue Hotel at South Lake Tahoe. Dave Cufr is flying out from Ohio and I'll pick him up at the Reno airport. Then we will spend 3 1/2 days finalizing the logistics of our upcoming 55th Anniversary Meet next year. In fact, I plan on taking some video with my DRONE while we're there!! So you might want to be on the lookout for that too.

Departure for me is Tuesday at O-dark-hundred. I'll make another post before then. Oh, for the record, I'm towing my 1936 Coupe Pickup. It should be right at home in the desert of eastern Nevada.

parking

--Bill Barker

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
At Seattle Washington.
All packed and ready to go. First stop, Yreka California. About 500 miles.
driving
[Linked Image from 1931chevrolet.com]

And the 1936 Coupe Pickup is all snug-as-a-bug in the trailer.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Nice, low profile trailer, bet it cuts through the air nicely. :dance:

What brand is the trailer and what length ?

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Yep. I love the low profile. Surprisingly the company stopped making them. They prefer to build horse trailers instead. The are out of Springfield, Oregon. Called Silverlite. This one is 20 feet. Originally I thought that I wanted an 18 footer. Thankfully, the only available one was 20 feet. It's just like a garage. No matter how big it is, you'll find a way to fill it up!!! rolllaugh

And then you find out it's still not big enough.
stupid

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I'm looking forward to your updates. I hope you guys have a good time at the Montblue. Once you drop him off, the real fun can start.

Chris
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Have a safe trip. Wish I was going.

Roger

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Bill was successful picking me up at the Reno airport and we are now at the MontBleu in Stateline Nevada to work with facility personnel to make the 55th Anniversary Meet the best we can! In one year from now the Meet will be history; we will try to make it a memorable one for all who attend!

I will try to not tire Bill out so he can enjoy the Nevada sites in his '36 Coupe pickup. I am envious of Bill and wish him safe travel after we finish our immediate business for the Meet.

Dave Cufr #12505
1927 Capitol coupe
1928 National 4-door
1928 Speedster
1936 Standard Town Sedan
1975 Nova Custom Hatchback
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
yadda yadda. rolllaugh

Okay, here's a photo out my window on the 10th floor of the MontBleu at South Lake Tahoe.

And here's an expanded view showing all of the construction going on. They finished upgrades to ALL ROOMS - cost $24 million.
Now they are repaving the parking area along with widening the entrance etc. Inside the building, they have the entire registration area blocked off (behind plastic tarps) and are redoing all counters, carpets etc.

Next month they begin a complete face lift of the Convention Center (where we'll hold seminars, club store, etc) and they will replace ALL carpets and chair covers in the Banquet Room.

Should all be done by Christmas this year. We will come in August to a completely refreshed hotel. Pretty good timing, huh? ha ha.

By the way, during this visit to our future Meet Hotel, the following people showed up to begin their roles as Committee Chairpersons - Dave and Lynn Koetje, Dave Gowan, and Jim and Roberta Martoza. They all spent long days surveying and taking notes.

Naturally, Dave Cufr was here too from Ohio. Tomorrow I drop him off at the Reno Airport again... and if he keeps posting here, I may D-R-O-P him off!!!! rolllaugh rolllaugh rolllaugh

Tomorrow morning I continue my trip to Ely.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Howdy from Ely, Nevada. (Pronounced: E-Lee)

Arrived at 9 pm last night to find that my room (all 6 nights) had been "accidentally" canceled by the manager as a "No Show". Ha!! Not a good thing to happen to you after 11 hours of driving.

A couple of photos driving Highway 50 - "The Loneliness Road in America."

This is a good place to fire a few rounds from your handgun if you happen to have one with you in a locked metal box. Just sayin'...

And some "proof" of the Durmax. At 60 mph, in 88 degree weather I was getting 13.3 mpg. And note that I was on cruise control.

Now at the hotel in Ely, NV, here is a photo across the parking lot. At this time, I "think" that every single vintage car was trailered. Not sure, but I'll find out. With cancellations, the expected attendance will be 41 vehicles. The people that I ran into so far, are from California, Texas, Arizona, Utah, Oregon, Washington and Montana.

Here are some snapshots of where people parked while they carried clothing to their rooms.

The last two hours last night were in total blackness while I was coming over the last summit of 7,640 feet. It's a two lane road that is many curves. General speed limit was 60 mph, but there were a dozen turns with 35 mph posted. So you really needed to stay on your guard.

During a 10 mile stretch, I nearly ran into 3 different "herds" of Elk. The first one was two cows (females) and a gorgeous buck with at least 10 points. Magnificent. I jumped on my brakes and got down to 30 mph while the three of them casually sauntered across the highway.
Again, it was pitch black so I couldn't see them before or after they left the front field-of-vision of my headlights.

Then a heard of 6 more standing on the edge of the road eating grass. And a mile later, another heard of about 4. Absolutely beautiful animals. And... huge!!

Now the bad news. Just before it got too dark I saw a bird fly very close to the front of my truck. Didn't hear anything. This morning I found that the poor little fella didn't make it.

We depart for our first tour Tuesday morning. It's over 80 degrees outside right now. Got gas, and got water. And -- got a large straw hat!! Doctor's orders.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Your Duramax seems to run all of the same stats as my 5.3L when pulling. Granted, your trailer a little heavier, and in the wind...

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
As a footnote Bruce, if you have not seen this, you may be interested in this long 5 page thread, speaking of the 5.3 AFM engines. I came upon this, looking to assist a frien

If worthy of any conversation , a new thread could be started.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/264300/

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hello Bill: Now concerning your hotel room being cancelled as a "No Show". I think that someone in the VCCA arranged that for you. I believe the logic was that they told the manager that you were living on a fixed income and that you spent your life roaming aimlessly around the USA. yay

dtm
just kidding

the toolman
60th Anniversary Meet Chairperson
Dave
VCCA # L 28873
VCCA #83 Tool Technical Advisor for 1914-1966
VCCA #83 1940 Chevrolet Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Amazing .... I can send this link and open it to anyone, but it won't open here on VCCA.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/264300/tp/1]

Last edited by Bill Barker; 09/24/15 02:05 AM. Reason: Fixed Link.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
UPDATE ONE - Tuesday:

Got an update on the attendance. 42 Vehicles arrived representing: Arizona, Utah, Washington, California, Oregon, Colorado, Indiana, Minnesota, Texas, Montana and Hawaii. How about that? And 3 vintage cars were driven here, one which was a 1932 for 728 miles. Another vintage car was offloaded in Boise, Idaho when the tow rig malfunctioned. The truck and trailer were left behind there and the car was then driven the rest of the way approx 388 miles.

Arrival of Steve after his epic journey from Oregon.

Other cars in the parking lot:

Tuesday. We drove a million miles, or 88... can't remember - in 85+ degrees across the Nevada desert. 42 cars departed at 7:30 am and 35 returned on their own power at 5 pm. What?? Yep, it was that brutal. Almost as bad as Custer's last stand. laugh

We went to the Lehman Caves. Toured in a very narrow, and low, tunnel system to 152 feet below ground. My back hurt when we got back topside, from having to bend over so much! But the temperature was very nice, even a tad cool - until we started climbing back up. Then folks got heated and out of breath. But absolutely worth the experience. Very interesting with an outstanding narrator guide.

Amazing views no matter where we were.

Cars taking a breather after another climb above 6,500 feet.

Tomorrow we go star-gazing. And... We get our cars the dirtiest that they've ever been.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Sounds like 36 people (35 on the tour and a tow truck driver) had a good day.

Was it all trailer queens that needed a ride on the tow truck?

The limestone caves generally maintain an even temperature all year round despite what the above ground temp does.

Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I was thinking how much I'd enjoy doing a western tour someday... Not so much now!! Lol! My '50 never passed up a tow truck ride!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
[quote=brewster]I was thinking how much I'd enjoy doing a western tour someday... Not so much now!! Lol! My '50 never passed up a tow truck ride! [/quote]

Knowing the snags a "restored" car can provide to the owner, AFTER being restored, it's a good idea to have GOOD flatbed towing insurance, in effect, BEFORE the next VCCA meet arrives. :dance:

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Nope. Not a single trailer queen in the bunch. I think that we've gone 240 miles so far. Went over 3 mountain passes (twice) that were approx 7,000 feet high. Probably dropped 2,000 before we got to them. Our motel is about 6,400 feet.

Rode the train for 20 miles. Two guys rode in the engine. I don't think that they'll ever do THAT again!!! bigl

And last night drove approximately 20 miles round trip on a dirt washboard road that nearly shook my teeth out. When I hosed the car off this morning I found more dirt INSIDE the car than was on the outside. My pants and shirt are already messed up just from getting in and out of the car twice.

No breakdowns on Wednesday. And, I'll count, but I think 4 out of 5 from Tuesday are back on the road with new fuel pumps and other fixes. Gas and water boiling were the two main issues. At 7,000 feet it's tough to prevent vapor lock in 85 degree weather. And while the photos show lots of flat ground in the distance, we seemed to always be going UP or DOWN one of the steep mountain roads.

Next update includes the Moon and Saturn. And somebody who... well.. I'll save that for later. rolllaugh

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
UPDATE TWO - Wednesday:
Ah, the big day. Took a train ride on a STEAM locomotive. Traveled 10 or so miles. A couple of guys got the "privilege" of being in the engine. They had to put on long-sleeve shirts. It was H-O-T and sooty. Both had soot on them afterwards. And they had to STAND for the entire 90 minute ride. Remember this the next thim that you volunteer somewhere.

Some photos of us parking at the station - and having our picture taken my Jim Seiber on a hi-lift.

At 3:30 pm we departed for a really interesting tour. (Now about 38 cars?) Went to the WARD CHARCOAL OVENS. That's where they used to "make" charcol between 1876 through 1879. Not used anymore. Drove 7 miles on d dirt road to get there. Extremely dusty.

Then after dark the local astronomy club gave us a 1 hour class outside under the stars. They had a very professional telescope set up and we all got to view the MOON up close. Then later it was the SECRET viewing. This heavenly body had a large RING around it. You can guess which planet it was. Frankly I had never seen Saturn (oops) before. Fascinating.

Our reward was when we got to make SMORES over an open fire. How old do you have to be before you STOP enjoying this? Ha!! Our Tour Master, Dean Echols said that this was the very first time in his life that he had ever had smores. So they took a photo of him eating it.
Some wag in the crowd said that "You always remember your first time." idea

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
UPDATE THREE - Thursday:
We gathered again with Chip calling us from afar.

We went on ANOTHER train ride. This time it was a Diesel locomotive. Traveled to the far side of town where the Renaissance Society has re-created a miners living area of 8 small homes. They handed out samples of different ethnic foods in each home - Italian, French, Slavic, Russian, etc., along with an adult drink of wines or beer representing that region. Outstanding. Then, you guessed it, another train ride back to our cars!!

An afternoon tour took us to Cherry Valley - site of an old silver mining town which is still populated.
Along the way, we stopped at a roadside area which was exactly on the route of the Pony Express.

Read this sign carefully and see if you qualify.

Ha!!... I didn't think that you did. bigl

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
UPDATE FOUR - Friday:

We had the pleasure of touring a car collection belonging to one of the local collectors. While he had a hankering for Studebakers, there were many other brands in his stable. I'm purposely not mentioning his name or exact location. But as you can imagine - he has enough winter projects here for the rest of his days.

And then we walked out back.... drool

In case you haven't seen this before. Hiway 50 crosses Nevada from East to West. It has a unique moniker. In reality, Hiway 50 begins in Maryland and ends at Sacramento. Depending upon your route to the Tahoe Meet next year, you might get to experience it.

That afternoon we got our photo taken with the local celebrity.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
UPDATE FIVE - Saturday:

Time to head home.

The local newspaper featured us on the FRONT PAGE. We were on the lower half though, because Rand Paul was in town the same day and he got more coverage.

Departing at 6 am headed North by Northeast.

As I exited town, I was glad that my gauge read "F".

A typical view for the next 3 hours.
Wear different sunglasses and you'll see different colors in the hills. wow

And along another stretch of road in Nevada......

And then I entered Idaho. driving yipp

Thanks for letting me be your tour guide.
-Bill chevy

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Looks like most of you at least had a good tour but I dont think that straight road would be much fun to travel and especially at night.
Thank you for posting your view.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I invented the steering wheel tether while on the way to the tour and forgot to test it on the way back home.

We had a "BALL" thanks to Dean Echols, Tom Meleo and Jim Farris. If you haven't been on a VCCA tour you have missed a lifetime adventure (or more). 3500+ miles to get there and back home but worth every mile especially when you add the scenery going and coming.

Only went on a few short sections of straight road on the entire tour. Went over a few passes and some natural earth roads. Found out that at 7000+ feet alt. water boils at near the running temperature under climbing load. Water bottles became a necessity for both the vehicle and folks. 15% humidity produces "toasted" bread in minutes.

Thanks for the photos Bill, especially bugle boy.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
What percentage of the participants take their wives to your tours? I dom't see many in the pictures.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (Oldiron, BearsFan315, NeilA), 59 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,046
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.