Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Friday evening Abby and I started washing up the 1950 convertible for this weekend's tour.

[Linked Image from i150.photobucket.com]

Jane & I put in quite a bit of leg work getting the route all mapped out... then I was up until midnight on Friday evening making changes and printing out the mapquest copies for everyone. A helpful tip for those of you that plan driving tours... if you're wondering if roads or routes are paved, scenic, etc, use cycling websites to help map things out. They are far more helpful in describing the road conditions.

We left Saturday morning, hoping to make it to the hotel in St. Jacobs by 11am. Our plan was to have free time for everyone to shop the St. Jacobs Farmers Market, and Antique stores, then meet for a quick tour over to Crossroads Family Restaurant for dinner.

The market was crowded and exciting. St.Jacobs is in a huge Mennonite community, so the foods and crafts were excellent. Jane bought Abby a pair of shoes. We had lunch with the Thomson's, then headed back to the hotel to meet the rest of the gang.

Along for the tour are: Paul & Maggie Rozon (1931roadster here on Chat) in their 1953, John & Happy Thomson in their 1934, Dave & Vermayle Longmuir in their '80 Corvette, George & Carole Worron in their 1978 Impala, Don & Judy Lampkin in their 1974 Caprice, and a great big welcome to new guests John & Laura Kennedy (Jack Kennedy, here on Chat) who drove modern as they are not yet finished their 1932 roadster.

The ride to the restaurant got interesting for Rozon's as a wheel almost came off the back of his '53. Some quick help from a local with a hoist in his shop got Paul back on the road... and lost again! Another U-turn, and they finally caught up with us. Thank God for their highly detailed Mapquest map, or we may never have seen them again!

We prettied up the Crossroads parking lot...

John Kennedy looks over Paul's 1953...

Then we headed back to the hotel to get dirty working on John Thomson's 1934. An adjustment to the brakes, and a timing adjustment...

After dinner we headed to the hotel lobby for drinks & chatting. Paul shared the story and pictures of his big new (old) vehicle purchase with us all!!! I'll leave it to him to share it with you guys...

Last edited by brewster; 07/10/15 09:35 PM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Wow. In the first picture, it can't be Abby as the girl in the picture is getting so big.

dtm
ps. I am getting shorter each year.

the toolman
60th Anniversary Meet Chairperson
Dave
VCCA # L 28873
VCCA #83 Tool Technical Advisor for 1914-1966
VCCA #83 1940 Chevrolet Technical Advisor
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The ride to the restaurant got interesting for Rozon's as a wheel almost came off the back of his '53. Some quick help from a local with a hoist in his shop got Paul back on the road... and lost again! Another U-turn, and they finally caught up with us. Thank God for their highly detailed Mapquest map, or we may never have seen them again!

What Bruce forgets to mention is that he is leading the tour and completely abandon us and continues on oblivious to the fact that we are no longer following him and that we have had some trouble. We are lucky that a total stranger takes pity on us and helps us out. Where was he when we needed him? That is the question that I ask. Some leader!!!!!!

Paul
If it isn't broken, fiddle with it anyway so you have something to repair.
1931 Deluxe Sport Roadster
1953 BelAir 4 dr. Sedan
1965 Chevy II Nova SS
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Ahh, Paul! I was going to throw my wife under the bus on this one... but then she explained how it was all your fault for being a gentleman. The truth is that it really was a whole comedy of errors!

Mistake #1... Always torque your own lugs, and never trust a guy that only uses an air ratchet!

Mistake #2... Modern cars go at the back of the tour. I thought my wife was at the back with her cell phone. It turns out that Paul was polite, and let the lady go first! We were headed through town with heavy traffic, and the town was on a slight grade, with a hill at the other end. When we got to the other end of town, I pulled over to get my flock all together and let the other traffic go. Once they were out of the way, we could see the whole way through town... and there was no Paul there! Even on the side of the road, no Paul! I thought Jane was at the back, but she was with us and didn't know where Paul was. He actually had the car in this guy's shop so fast that none of us saw him, and we could see right through town.

Mistake #3... We took the modern car to rescue him, and they didn't see us! We continued on to the restaurant, as it was only a km or two away and our reservation for 14 was in 5 minutes. Besides, the thought occurred to me that Paul may have found a faster way there and was going to be there already to mock my pokey slow 1950! We arrived there to no Paul, so George and I threw the toolbox in Jane's Equinox and went to find him. We waved at them as we went by them in town, but they didn't see us. They had the car fixed and were already headed to the restaurant so we figured by the time we turned around they would be there. We got there... and no Paul!!!

What went on in that car between the bottom of the hill and the traffic circle, only Paul and his TWO navigators with precisely written directions and his other innocent passenger will ever know. There was a lot of discussion about why his car went left when the directions said right... maybe he doesn't have the front brakes properly set yet! bigl

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Anyway, on to Sunday morning! I slept like a baby! Back at home we are babysitting Jane's Mom's dog. It turns out that it's really hard to find a sitter for a dog when you are the sitter! We adjusted our plan by deciding that Jane & Abby would return home Saturday night so Jane could tend to the dog and Abby would get a good night sleep in her own crib. For me, that meant a big empty King size bed, with no wife, dog, cat, or baby moving in on my side of the bed!!

We met for breakfast at 830am, and were soon joined by some more members. Les & Bev Gajdacs in their 1961 Impala and Randy & Brenda Pettitt in their 1958 Apache were with us.

George had missed the antique store across the road, so we added an hour of antiquing to the beginning of the tour. At 11am, we headed for the highlight of the day.

The St. Jacobs & Aberfoyle Model Railway ( http://stjacobsmodelrailway.com ) is one of the premier O scale model railways in all of North America. It has been featured in Model Railroader Magazine several times over the past 40 years. The layout represents Southern Ontario in 1957. A beautiful combination of classic diesel and vintage steam power. The entire layout operates in accurate scale, right down to the night time scenery with fully operating interior lights in all of the buildings and rolling stock. Small humorous scenes are also hidden all over the layout for you to seek out. We saw a bear ready to visit a campground, a lover exiting an upstairs window by bedsheets, a worker showering in an engine shop, etc,etc...

Dave Longmuir brings a sense of scale to the furniture factory...

I'm fairly certain that Paul has some spectacular shots as well, as I spent a fair amount of time wrestling with the settings on my camera and couldn't get it figured out.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
After the railway, we headed into town for lunch. I hitched a ride in the Thomson's rumble seat up to the Main St. Who would pass up a rumble seat ride? Not this guy!!

After lunch we toured through the countryside to enjoy the rural scenery. Mennonite farms, rolling hills, a couple nice river valleys... it was a beautiful drive! We headed along the Conestoga River to the covered bridge at West Montrose. I headed across the bridge first, then Jane sent the rest of the group over for a photo at the other side.

Last edited by brewster; 07/27/15 05:59 PM.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
After the bridge, we headed to Lover's Leap in beautiful Elora Ontario. Here, the Irving River and the Grand river merge together at the head of the Elora Gorge. Here. we looked over the 72 ft high cliffs to the river below. We paused for a half group photo as well...

Then it was on to dinner at the Swiss Chalet in Guelph. There, we were joined by Fred & Jean Rinehart, and Gerry Boyes in his VW bug. Abby and Dave Longmuir started working on the write up for the Clutch Chatter right away...

A big thank you to all of our members for tagging along for a fun weekend again! It was awesome seeing all of you out and enjoying the Chevys and the friendships!

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Rustoholic, Stovblt, Rusty 37 Master, Buckaroo01), 72 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,059
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.