Vintage Chevrolet Club Forums
A nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation, restoration and enjoyment of all Chevrolets and GMCs.

VISITORS: You are welcome to read our forums. If you want to participate FREE then you need to register. Join the VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to attach/upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

VCCA MEMBERS: Already a member? Great! Info to access the members-only area.

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#334840 - 02/21/15 05:53 PM 261 Full Flow/Bypass Info needed!
Deve Offline
Grease Monkey

Loc: Hesston, Kansas
Hi guys! I am looking for confirmation that I have my 1964 261 engine set up correctly. Yes, 1964. Its a replacement engine with no engine serial number. Sad part is, the Full Flow/Bypass plug is flush with the outside of the engine. This, I believe, means its in BYPASS.

Since I write How-To Articles I am trying to track down exactly where this information is, in print. Does anyone have a Chevrolet manual of some sort that explains this plug? If so, please take a picture of it, so I can include it in an upcoming 261 How-To. Thanks!

Deve
http://devestechnet.com
http://forums.devestechnet.com

#334845 - 02/21/15 06:19 PM Re: 261 Full Flow/Bypass Info needed! [Re: Deve]
bobg1951chevy Offline

Loc: Hendersonville, N.C.
Originally Posted By: Deve
Hi guys! I am looking for confirmation that I have my 1964 261 engine set up correctly. Yes, 1964. Its a replacement engine with no engine serial number. Sad part is, the Full Flow/Bypass plug is flush with the outside of the engine. This, I believe, means its in BYPASS.

Since I write How-To Articles I am trying to track down exactly where this information is, in print. Does anyone have a Chevrolet manual of some sort that explains this plug? If so, please take a picture of it, so I can include it in an upcoming 261 How-To. Thanks!

Deve
http://devestechnet.com
http://forums.devestechnet.com

Here are FOUR pages of 261 info, regarding a UK poster, who is talking about 261 oil pressure, oil flow, full flow or by pass, etc.

Additional info and sites are located within the individual replies/posts, as well.

There IS much info out there on the 261 and its' "dowell positioning", being in or out. Not a pin, not a plug.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/321153/tp/1/

More 261 info.

261 Street Engine Build

By Pat Smith

"Oil Filters: If you have a late 261 with the Ĺ" pipe thread holes on the left side, great! These engines have a full pressure full flow oil filter system. What that means is that 100% of the oil from the pump goes through the filter before it enters the engine. Maybe! Over the lower hole, you will see a boss with a dowel in the middle. If the dowel is out flush with the block, there will be a passage opened between the oil pump outlet and the main oil galley. If the dowel has been pushed in, all the oil has to go through the filter first. I donít think I would try to move the dowel either in, or out. I would be afraid of breaking the block".

#334856 - 02/21/15 09:48 PM Re: 261 Full Flow/Bypass Info needed! [Re: bobg1951chevy]
Deve Offline
Grease Monkey

Loc: Hesston, Kansas
Good information. What I am mostly looking for is a Chevrolet Manual title and page number to reference in my How-To article
devestechnet.com/Home/TheGreat261 on that dowels depth when fully in. I am also looking for exactly how to drill those 6 water holes in the 848 head. Drill bit sizes, angle, etc. Thanks very much for the reply. Lots of good info there confirming things a bit.

#334867 - 02/21/15 11:53 PM Re: 261 Full Flow/Bypass Info needed! [Re: Deve]
bobg1951chevy Offline

Loc: Hendersonville, N.C.
Originally Posted By: Deve
Good information. What I am mostly looking for is a Chevrolet Manual title and page number to reference in my How-To article
devestechnet.com/Home/TheGreat261 on that dowels depth when fully in. I am also looking for exactly how to drill those 6 water holes in the 848 head. Drill bit sizes, angle, etc. Thanks very much for the reply. Lots of good info there confirming things a bit.

Understand about Chevy documentation, in print.

My books are not "modern enough" to take in 261 specs, in print.

FYI, I do know the dowel is depressed into the block .50 to .62 inches for full flow.

Moderator:  bowtieollie, John 348/340HP 
Your Status
Please login to post or reply.* * *
Send My Password
Who's Online
1 Chat Members (Peter_Gariepy), 2 Lookie Loo's and 33 Spiders or Bots online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
32confederate
Helpful Links
Forum Registration
New User Forum
Members Only Forum
Reset Your Password
Kill Your Cookies

VCCA Home
Join the VCCA
Member Photos
My 31' Chevy Show
What is missing?
31' headlight reflectors re-silvered at home
1936 Roadster - S. Africa
Chevy on the Levee
'37 Seat
Forum Stats
15086 Chat Users
79 Forums
50178 Topics
366686 Posts

Max Online: 304 @ 06/18/16 10:00 AM

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.