Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Thanks Ken, Seems like a back door approach. Must be something wrong with my computer as it keeps flashing a header saying;

"SEAGULLS" "SEAGULLS" "SEAGULLS" When we closed our local landfill most of the seagulls went away. Must have gone to the wrong coast. Thank God we still have some Patriots around to disperse those that remained!!

Steve D
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
While we all agree that Stainless Steel exhaust systems were not original on most of our cars, I don't find it particularly annoying that we do not deduct points if you choose to put one on your car. That and the aluminized exhaust systems certainly keep your exhaust looking better longer. I put it in the same category as paint. My 1948 had lacquer paint originally but nobody is using lacquer these days and we're all pretty happy with basecoat/clearcoat or some modern equivalent, as long as the color is an original color for that year.

Now we just have to get Bill Barker to stop flashing that Seattle Seahawks message across the top. :-)

Dale Carter
VCCA #8661
1948 Fleetmaster Convertible
1948 RHD Stylemaster Sedan Delivery
1948 1-Ton Tow Truck
1967 Camaro Coupe
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
My 1948 had lacquer paint originally but nobody is using lacquer these days

I use lacquer exclusively and I love the stuff!

Seattle Seahawks? Oh....you mean the Seattle Seabuzzards. At any rate I hope that they beat the "Deflaters" on Sunday!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I agree with Chevnut that unless the stainless exhaust is bright that it should be ok. As far as basecoat clearcoat I think that most cars that have it never had as nice a finish from the factory and is not what "preservation and restoration" means to me. I can remember several new cars from the late 40's and early 50's and the paint was no where near as smooth as todays. Darn Seagulls keep flashing. All I can picture is the Seagulls coming on to the field to their theme song "The William Tell Overture" and the cheerleaders chanting " To the Dump"-"To the Dump"-To the Dump-Dump-Dump".

Steve D
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I believe basecoat clearcoat helps preserve. I do not like that same finish on the chassis and under the hood but we are almost to where it takes that to get a first place in todays judging.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by m006840
I agree with Chevnut that unless the stainless exhaust is bright that it should be ok. As far as basecoat clearcoat I think that most cars that have it never had as nice a finish from the factory and is not what "preservation and restoration" means to me. I can remember several new cars from the late 40's and early 50's and the paint was no where near as smooth as todays. Darn Seagulls keep flashing. All I can picture is the Seagulls coming on to the field to their theme song "The William Tell Overture" and the cheerleaders chanting " To the Dump"-"To the Dump"-To the Dump-Dump-Dump".

Speaking of GM paint jobs, I can CLEARLY recall ongoing complaints, due to paint runs, dirt in paint, thin paint (primer showing) and etc.

Great improvement was the addition of the robotics era, robot painting ..... the paint jobs got better immediately.

Sometimes, new ideas are good ...... sometimes.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
if its ok to use deflated balls in a national football championship, it should certainly be ok to use a SS exhaust system on a 48 Chevy
P.S.If you do not like the rules, don't play the game

BTW....GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
You must have been looking at one of my EARLY versions of the header. I posted the "final" version later this afternoon. That should be "unbiased" enough for everyone.
ref winner

You should see the early ones that even I REJECTED!! Ha ha.... confetti

--bb

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Try Waldron's...expect to pay up to $450.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Doug Zeno
Ray,
Can you recommend a place for good SS exhaust?

Based on ongoing dissatisfaction with "ready made exhaust by mail", I would opt to speak with a car club or car guys and get a name of an exhaust shop from them, that does exceptional work.

I recently bought a '51, which had its 6 cylinder DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEM fabricated from scratch, by a young Hispanic guy in Albuquerque NM. He's an artist, in my book. dance

The work was a "thing of beauty", in my eyes, and it fits perfectly.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.