Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
46chevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi.. another post...
I need to replace my rear bearing and seals...
Any suggestions where I can get the best parts at the best price for my 46?
How much should I expect to pay for bearing and seals for both rear wheels?
Should I be doing any other servicing while I have the axles out???

Thanks a bunch..

Marcellin

Marcellin
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Rear wheel seals I believe fit 1937-1954 passenger cars Chevrolet number 3663166. My local Advance Auto parts ordered me new "National" brand rear wheel seals ( #450666 )for $11.49 each. You can also get the seals from Chev's of the 40s and I believe The Filling Station. Many folks prefer The Filling Station for parts. The axle bearing for your car has the inner race installed with a press fit onto the axle. I just replaced mine with the help of a machine shop. The inner race with removed by grinding a small groove in the inner race parallel with the axle. The groove was made with a high speed hand grinder. Then before the groove was cut into the axle, I hit the inner race with a chisel. The inner race cracked and then removed from the axle. The new inner race was pressed onto the axle using a huge arbor press. Are your axle roller bearings worn out? Maybe the roller bearing can remain in the axle housing and be reused?

the toolman
60th Anniversary Meet Chairperson
Dave
VCCA # L 28873
VCCA #83 Tool Technical Advisor for 1914-1966
VCCA #83 1940 Chevrolet Technical Advisor

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.