Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Starting next week, carbana a group of VCCA members
will begin an epic trip, which they have titled : The BUCKET LIST TOUR.

And what better place to travel, than along the famed ROUTE 66.

See the Video Here .

Check back here next week for updates and photos. chevy

Last edited by Peter_Gariepy; 02/08/18 07:23 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
What year vehicles will you be traveling with?

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Vehicles will include:
'64 Corvette
'66 Corvette
'68 Corvette
'71 Chevelle
'14 Silverado
'72 Chevelle
'06 HHR
(I might be off on a couple of the years.)

And we just had a '04 Corvette drop out due to medical issues. (The driver, not the car.)
rolllaugh

As you can see, this is a more "modern" group of cars than normally assemble in the VCCA - but, naturally, they all qualify for the Passport Program!!! chevy

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The 2014 and the 2006 HHR kinda sorta don't fit in with the rest of the cars. bigl

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
[Linked Image from vccachat.org] [Linked Image from vccachat.org] [Linked Image from vccachat.org] [Linked Image from vccachat.org] [Linked Image from vccachat.org]

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I already have a Chevrolet......

Sounds like you are going to have a great trip!!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Sounds like a fun time! Lots of pretty country along your route. The Grand Canyon for one is an awesome place to visit, even if you've seen it before. I hope you are planning to veer off I40 as much as possible to see some of the original Route 66 and small towns along the way. There are several VCCA members close to Wichita so if you need anything just let us know, otherwise, just honk as your corvettes speed by. BTW, I70 in western KS is very flat, if one had an urge to exceed the speed limit. Just sayin.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Ha ha... Speed??? ...Us???? :-)

We're spending next Thursday night in Salina. It's going to be tough to "miss" Wichita. Ha ha...

I'll keep your phone number on speed dial in case we run into a hail storm... You got room for 7 cars under cover?? yay

--Bill

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hi Bill,

Great to hear your trip is about to commence. I will never forget the kind and constant help you and all the clubs were to me back in December.

Of course, when you are near San Francisco, Sacramento, I would love to come out and meet you or wave if you guys need to stay on the move.

My shop is in Stockton and can offer humble but complete repair and recovery services to you and your fellow travelers.

Tips for California to pass on:
1. The road surfaces are the worst in the nation
2. the Mexican food is the best in the nation
3. I will go out on a limb and guarantee sunshine, except on the coast
4. Gas prices will be inexplicably high
5. You will feel as good coming into California as you will when leaving - Ha!

I'll be following your trip for sure!!

Blaine
Crosscountry31

PS - remember hot dogs WITHOUT CONDIMENTS are the preferred "drive while you eat" meal. Flavor Twist Fritos are the chosen snack, and diet coke in the small bottle (old dudes- tiny bladders) is the sanctioned drink.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Blaine,
You made me laugh... bigl
But there's one fundamental difference between YOUR journey and our trip.... We have "navigators". And without being any more specific, I know for SURE that "my" navigator would NOT accept a plain hotdog as a meal. argue

And since I don't want to give up "half of my stuff" (as the old saying goes)... then I'm going to have to stop at a resturant at mid-day. Maybe some other time I can do the "guy thing" and test out your proven solution.
luv2
Will try to tag you in a couple of weeks.

--Bill Barker

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Bill, when you know when (and where) you'll be near SF, please post a place and time where the West Coast folks can connect with your gang. Maybe at a diner somewhere for an impromptu lunch, shine and show.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
If we stay on schedule, I'll arrive in Castro Valley Sunday the 25th. Then spend all day on the 26th chillin'... :-)

That is the 3-day Memorial Day weekend.

I'll send you my cell number in a PM. Thanks!!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
And the Journey BEGINS!!!

Monday May 12th at 6 am. We are ready to depart.

[Linked Image from 1931chevrolet.com]

And the purpose of this voyage was to strengthen the following resolve...

Bob and Florence took this photo of Mt Rainier while leaving Seattle.

And this photo was crossing over the Snoqualmie Pass area about 55 miles East of Seattle.

The only casualty of the day occurred somewhere along here. Jim lost the center hubcap on his 71 Chevelle. There were reported sightings of it rolling along the guard rail, but no one had the guts to stop alongside the mountain road and retrieve it. It's just too risky.

The whole gang at a rest area. Except Helgy - who was taking the photo.

Making electricity from wind for future cars.

An interesting exit in Spokane.

Leg stretch.

And a stop for souvenirs.

<More photos in the next posting.>

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
After almost 6 hours of driving, we finally cross into Idaho. Ho hum.

And another 3 hours later, we enter Montana!!

And today's destination - The Best Western in Missoula, Montana. This is probably going to be one of the BEST motels that we stay at. Just watch the remaining postings to see why. :-)

Tomorrow -- Wyoming!! (Who?)

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The whole gang at a rest area. Except Helgy - who was taking the photo

Okay...if that is the whole gang where is Steve "The Filling Station" Kassis and "Moron Mikey"? Ya, I know.....Mikey is supposed to join the group in Montana....but where is Stevie?

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Stevie is in Montana also!!!!

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
TUESDAY - Sheridan, WY

Mike and Laura join us at Missoula, MT

Steve and Elyse Join us at Butte, MT.

Some of the gang waiting for their coffee to kick in (eg. Grumpy).

Hey!!! It must have worked... Now we're ready to depart.

Folks - The country runs on coal... If you don't believe it, just drive across Montana some time... there are trains with 75 cars FILLED with coal going by -- ALL THE TIME!!! And of course, an equal number of empty trains.

MISSING PHOTO OP

At one of the rest stops, there was a great picture the no one took. Mikey was walking his dog and he found a fire hydrant in the middle of the doggie park. It was amazing to see that the dog knew exactly what to do. And of course, so did Mikey. ??! We were so much in awe that no one thought to take a picture. Maybe next time.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Wednesday - Denver, CO

Well, we made it... three days of approx 10 hours driving each day.

Starting out in the morning at Sheridan, we almost had a problem.. My '66 Vette wouldn't idle. It died each time I took my foot off the accelerator.

With some assistance from the sidewalk superintendents, we figured out that the idle screw must have backed out due to vibration. Turned it in a couple of turns and we were off and running. (This is not the way to start your morning at 7:30 am with 6 other cars ready to go!!)

Sallie, Elyse and Sis discuss the "situation".

Lots of evidence of snow over the past few days. And the crosswind was blowing over 35 mph for over 100 miles on this leg.

Distant snow-covered mountains were pretty -- but it gave us a chill.

Lots of trucks on the road passing us. In fact, one time there was a WIDE LOAD that passed us while the flashing electronic road signs were warning everyone of HIGH WINDS over 35 mph. We were traveling at 65 mph and he still passed all 7 of us!!!?!?!

Shortly after this long stretch of snow and wind, we began to get ominous clouds all around us. Helgy had to turn his wipers on - Finally. He was bragging that his new convertible top wouldn't leak. But we think that he needs MORE rain to prove it.

Kassis passed us trying to outrun the storm. He was successful.

One final cloud picture. It was pretty cool.

And Olson's decided to join the Kassis Gang and outrun everyone too. They actually got to the hotel one hour ahead of us... A lesson for next time.

PHOTO OP MISSED

Well, another photo that we should have taken... During our lunch stop, we went to Subway. But as we pulled in to the shopping center, the ladies noticed a huge banner on a store front -- STORE CLOSING - ALL 40% OFF. They all rushed over there - one of them almost didn't wait until the car stopped rolled, but we won't mention her name or that it starts with an "E". Three of the women came into Subway, ordered their sandwiches and then told their husbands to just bring them to the car - they'd eat them on the road. Then they ran over to the store too!! None of us guys understood any of this... Nor did we know the name of the store - Cold Water Creek.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Steve and Elyse Join us at Butte, MT.

What??? Steve and Elyse??!! No way Billy Boy Barker! If you think that the person on the right in the photo is Elyse then you obviously have major vision issues. That is Mikey, not Elyse. I'll bet that Elyse would be very, very upset knowing that you can't tell the difference between her and Mikey! bigl

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
That just Elyse's standard fill in....Billy cant tell the difference.

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Bill… as you know, there isn't much room for luggage in a Vette. I'd keep my eye on my weeks worth of clean underwear if I was you… Too many stops at outlets and sales, and Sis is going to have to make room for her purchases. Sounds like she's going to need the tools to stay if she plans on making it to the next mall, so I'm guessing that it's your clothes stash that's at risk…

Keep up the great posts and pictures! We all enjoy riding along with you!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
That just Elyse's standard fill in....Billy cant tell the difference

Hum....at least they could get someone a lot better looking for Elyse's "fill in" instead of Mikey!

Ya, obviously Billy Boy Barker can't tell the difference between a male and a female. Seems to me with eyes that bad they shouldn't allow Billy Boy Barker to drive on the road!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The Bucket List Tour group is safe and bedded down for the night after a long day of driving from Salina, KS and touring sites in the OKC area.

Bill will post details later.

Stay tuned.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
We're all still tuned...

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Well, I need to apologize everyone. This has been an amazing trip. And we still have 7 days left!

I found out that 1) we drove 10 hours a few days and there isn't enough time afterwards to work on the computer, and 2) there is a LOT of motels that still don't have Internet connections. We went three nights in a row without a connection.

And, of course, if I only have an hour left in the evening before I need to go to bed, sometimes it's a toss-up of whether to share a beer with friends sitting outside verses going inside and trying to resize, upload and post some photos.... And, as you can guess, after a long HOT day of driving a vintage car, well.... beer most always wins..... Actually, it has ALWAYS won on this trip!
bigl

That's what the trip has been about - good friends, good stories and good refreshments.
beermugs

Today begins two days of doing the Hollywood thing. But in the meantime, here is a photo of yesterday. I PROMISE that I'll post tons more, but probably not for a few days.

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

--Bill
PS. You may have noticed that I changed the header at the top of the Chat site... And I have ONE more that I'll push up there on Memorial Day Weekend. And that will conclude the series of Route 66 graphics. (Maybe I'll put them all in one place on a web page later, in case you missed any of the six of them.)

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Bill,
Glad you are having too much fun instead of being hijacked by bandidos to Mexico or Central America. There are too many nice Chevys and a few great folks so it would be a shame for them to get lost or waylayed. Watch out for the bandidos in CA, some are in business suits and take your money while you are looking them in the eye.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
And the journey continues.....

THURSDAY - May 15 Denver, CO

Woke up to our cars surrounded by guard rabbits!!

They MAY look small and cute, but we were very careful around them. :-)

Later that morning we entered another state. Our sixth state in six days!

NOTE: It is very difficult to take photographs of state signs when you cross the border. For one thing, you're traveling at about 65 MPH, then there's no advance notice that the sign is coming up, and lastly, the dang camera takes TOO LONG to boot up!!! So, sometimes we took the picture at the next Rest Area.

Each state should have a sign that reads "State Welcome Sign coming up in 1 mile." er... make that "...2 miles".
bigl

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
FRIDAY - May 16 Salina Kansas

In the morning after our usual 7:30 am departure, we began our trip down the road, when we were buzzed by an airplane!! But we knew the pilot. We had dinner with him the night before!!!! He was a friend of Steve Kassis who lives near Fort Worth. He and his wife flew up to Salina KS just to have dinner with us!!!

FRIDAY - May 16 Guthrie OK

Then one of the neatest experiences began at the Braum's ice cream store in Guthrie, OK. We were met by members of the VCCA Heart of Route 66 Region - Lee Espraza and Joe Smith.

They led us from here to our first REAL stops on Route 66. But first we toured the old downtown area of Guthrie. The original buildings and signage are so authentic that Hollywood frequently comes here for period-correct filming.

Started our sightseeing by stopping in Guthrie, OK. This is the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry building.

There is a cool story about this site. Behind this building is a small wooden building (still standing) that was the original capital of the State of Oklahoma. A few years ago, the politicans living in Oklahoma City didn't like this location and wanted the Capital moved to OK City. When the Guthrie town fathers refused.... the contents of the building were secretly moved IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. And it has remained in OK City ever since!!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
FRIDAY - May 16 Arcadia, OK

Our very first stop on the original Route 66 Highway was at the iconic Round Barn in Arcadia. Built in 1898, it has been maintained and is still in use for dances and special events. When we arrived, the local VCCA region had lunch waiting for us!!! We want to thank Sue and Lee Esparza, Becky Hamilton, Joe Smith, Lynda and Joe Reiter, and Vada and Bob Strattan. They really know how to make someone feel welcome to their fantastic state!!

Then, the stop that I was really looking forward to -- POPS!!! You can easily find it by the 66 foot tall, LED lit soda pop bottle!!
-web link-

And if that isn't enough, it has a 100 foot unsupported cantilevered canopy over the gas pumps. I was truly amazed at this engineering marvel.

This is a HUGE store. I don't know why I took this photo?

Pops is famous because it has over 500 different flavors of soda pop ready to drink!! We were told by some local members that NOT all of them are "worth" drinking!?!? ha ha

We visited the Wild West Mecca -- The Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City. It's filled with original works of art as well as authentic pieces which tell the "real" story of how the West really was.

Naturally, I had to made another pilgrimage of my own -- to the American Banjo Museum which moved from Guthrie just a year ago.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
FRIDAY - May 16 Oklahoma City, OK

For dinner, we were escorted by our new Region friends to an excellent restaurant named PEARL'S in the Bricktown area of downtown OK City. The food, atmosphere and friendship was excellent. If you visit OK city, feel comfortable visiting this area of downtown after hours - and enjoy any of the many high-quality restaurants.

Our fantastic tour guides.

In the evening we paid our respects to the Ok City Bombing Memorial. This is a very respectful and moving memorial dedicated to the 168 people killed here in 1995.

A "chair" represents all of the people (including 19 children) that were killed in the bombing.

As the sun began to set, we were moved by the serenity of the structures.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
SATURDAY - May 17 Oklahoma to Tucumcari, New Mexico

At the Route 66 Museum in Clinton, OK.

Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, TX

People having their picture taken in the trunk.

And... a very suspicious individual with aerosol cans standing next to a Cadillac with an interesting marking on it. !?!?!
--But I have it on very good authority that the actual culprit was not photographed. Someone said that "her" name begins with an "E".

Just inside the border entering Texas is a small town along the south frontage road call Shamrock. There are a large number of abandoned old-time gas stations here. These obviously contributed greatly to some of the styles and designs in the movie CARS.

And my favorite. Again, you can see this in the movie CARS.

Another stop for souvenirs. Very good selection.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
We went off the road to find Lucilles Gas Station. It has the old original building which was interesting since they lived on the second floor for about 30 years. A couple of miles further down the road is the new Lucilles along with a great 50's Diner serving food.

The Midpoint Café, a restaurant, souvenir and antique shop on US Route 66 in Adrian, Texas, bills itself as geographically the midway point between Los Angeles and Chicago.

More good food and souviners. The sign that is suppose to be above the door isn't there. I asked the new owners about it, and they said that they never saw it before, or after, they bought the building a couple of years ago. Supposedly the sign said "When you're here, you're halfways there."

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
SATURDAY - May 18 Tucumcari, New Mexico

And now we visit the world famous Blue Swallow! The owners are very, very friendly. If you are passing this way, don't hesitate to spend the night here. And the price was UNDER $70. Wow.

We spent the night here renting out 6 rooms. They don't accept pets, so Mikey had to stay down the road at a different motel. The good news: Each room has a garage. The bad news: If you park inside, you can't open your doors! Ha!

The rooms were very clean and the water was hot!

Come early and eat dinner at Del's restaurant about two blocks down the street. Within walking distance. Oh, that's the owner's car parked out front.

RATED: [Linked Image from vccachat.org]
OWNERS: Kevin & Nancy Mueller
Blue Swallow
815 E. Route 66 Blvd
Tucumcari, New Mexico 88401

Phone: 575-461-9849
Web: blueswallowmotel.com
Email: blueswallowmotel@gmail.com

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Lots of Great Picts !! Love seeing what you guys are doing while touring...

That would be a great route to run along and see the sights.

good friends means good times. Keep the picts coming

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
SUNDAY - May 18 Tucumcari, New Mexico

The Blue Swallow at sunrise. Very iconic.
If you're ever in the area -- STAY HERE. It is really great!!!

And, a sneak peek inside at the shower. Notice the clever method used to bring the water up above my chest.

And a look at the garages. Even my Corvette was a tight fit. But -- it WAS undercover all night.

SUNDAY - May 18 Santa Fe, New Mexico

Took a quick (?) sidetrip to Santa Fe today. It looked like a short distance on the map... oopsie.
This is a big... and busy city. Allow lots of time if you visit.
And I'm not showing the sidewalk vendors. But just be aware that there aren't any good deals for turquoise "on the street". :-(

Had lunch on a second story restaurant. Very relaxed.
Couldn't get Bob to pick up the tab. Maybe next time.

Walking along the street, we sighted this three-wheeler. I forgot the name. Morgan?

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
MONDAY - May 19 Holbrook, Arizona

On our way, we stopped for our usual Pee stop. Took a group photo.

But then it gusted to about 35 MPH and.....
well... let me just say that you don't want to be downwind of us BEFORE we went inside the building.

Jim Darby shows where we spent tonight.

And then he proudly showed off his "new" car and his very own Tee Pee!!!

We were a bit worried when we pulled up to the motel and saw a whole bunch of cars already parked there. We hoped that they still had our rooms. Not to worry. All of the cars here are
left-over props.

Nearly every room has a vintage car parked next to it.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
MONDAY - May 19 Holbrook, Arizona

My favorite car at the motel -- DOC

MONDAY - May 19 Flagstaff, Arizona

For the past two days, my brake pedal kept getting closer and closer to the floor. Finally I had to admit that I had a problem.

With some late night phone calls back to Seattle, Jim Seiber found a fantastic auto mechanic in Flagstaff - only 90 miles away. We went there the next morning and upon arrival, he already had a brand new master cylinder on the bench waiting for me.

For an hour, we all took control of his shop and probably drove him nuts. But finally the crowd decided to head on ahead to our next stop at the Grand Canyon. Once they left, Bob was able to replace my master cylinder and I was on my way by 2 pm.

OWNER: Robert Pennicker
Quality Automotive
5301 E. Empire Ave
Flagstaff, AZ 86004

Phone: (928) 527-6844

MONDAY - May 19 Grand Canyon, Arizona

If you've never been there, the last 50 miles leading up to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon

are very deceiving. Are we there yet?

And then suddenly you are THERE!!!!

Just breathtaking. There is no picture that does it justice.

Steve, Elyse and Bob decide not to take the 10-second tour. (?)

Jim Darby pretends to be a tourist.

Bob and Florence grab a shot for the grandkids.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
MONDAY - May 19 Grand Canyon, Arizona

A Park Ranger asks whether we've bought anything at the gift store.

No, wait!!! It's really Elyse. What a disguise. She's such a kidder!!!

Awaiting sunset - one of the two best times of the day (besides sunrise).

At 7:15 pm we took a group photo while we waited for our 7:30 pm conference call back to the

Puget Sound Region's (Seattle) monthly meeting. They arranged for our cell phone call to be

amplified.

At 7:29 pm, the gang is getting a little anxious. The temperature has dropped about 10 degrees in the last 10 minutes. And we weren't really dressed warm enough.

And there's only two more buses taking people back to the Hotel. We didn't want to spend the night out here.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
TUESDAY - May 20 Grand Canyon, Arizona

Here it is... 5:30 am at the Grand Canyon. Didn't I tell you that there were TWO special times of the day? Ha!!
(Sorry for all of the yellow-car photos.)
I was going to walk to the edge of the Grand Canyon for a spectacular photo, but then I found out it was a half a mile away!! My car was much closer. (... and I wasn't really awake yet.)

On our way to breakfast, we decided to "shoot the rapids" while it was still in the parking lot.[Linked Image from 1931chevrolet.com]

Somewhere outside of Sligeman, Az, we drove the last (and best) continuous length of Route 66 that is left. It was about 140 miles long. Out in the middle of no where, we saw ANOTHER familiar sign from the CARS movie!

And Elyse took this opportunity to... er.... danged if I know WHAT she was doing!?!?!?

This is another iconic motel that still is in business. The owners were VERY friendly. They have EVERY room identified with a famous movie star -- eg. James Dean, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, John Wayne.... very cool. We've added this to our list for the NEXT trip.

TUESDAY - May 20 Lake Havasu, Arizona

Why are Steve and Florence taking a picture of this lousy bridge?

I wanna go and see what the underside looks like!!

Oh, my god. It's the London Bridge!!!

Then we must be at Lake Havasu, Arizona.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Come back tomorrow for the next installment
-- AND see where we signed up a new VCCA member at 11 pm at night!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to JC and his family!!!!!

wel2

OWNERS: JC Stone (VCCA Member)
Lake Havasu Travelodge
480 London Bridge Rd
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

Free Breakfast
Free Wifi
Pets Allowed
Phone: (928) 680-9202
Web: http://www.travelodge.com/hotels/arizona/lake-havasu-city/lake-havasu-travelodge/hotel-overview

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
WEDNESDAY - May 21

Once we crossed into California, people started to get hungry. We stopped at a really great restaurant which was recommended to us by a gas station operator out in the middle of nowhere. Definitely great food!

And then only 2 miles up the road we stopped at our mid-day destination - CALICO, CA.
This is now a renovated ghost town of an old mining village. The photos speak for themselves.

Since we were here on a Monday, the crowds were extremely small. I think that there were only 4 tour buses.

What the? A Starbucks???

At the end of town you can take a short walk up to the top of a "mound" and see the entire valley below. It is an easy walk and takes less than 5 minutes.

A few visitors were at the top and asked us to take their picture.

This lady thought that Steve was a miner. Or a professional photographer. Or a movie star.
Never did figure out which.
Steve didn't let the language barrier stop him from enjoying himself.

Getting ready to depart -- Six of our cars are in this photo. Can you find them?

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
WEDNESDAY - May 21 Barstow, CA

At Barstow we jumped back on the original stretch of Route 66.

This was one of the many buildings that we saw. Some were still in business, some not. I don't have space to post all of the photos here.

Near Helendale, we found this old gas sign that I had photographed about 8 years ago. I was surprised to find that it was still there.

I was kind of hoping that they were selling gas again... at those prices!!??

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
WEDNESDAY - May 21 Barstow, CA

This stretch of road turned out to have way more relics than I anticipated. We didn't stop at very many of them since we wanted to get to our Wigwam before dinnertime.

NOTE: It was along this stretch of highway that I found my gas tank needle pointing to the bottom 1/4 on the gauge.

Even though there was a lot of civilization around, apparently they must all drive electric cars, since there WEREN'T any gas stations around!! As a result I didn't stop at many of these roadside attractions, since I couldn't afford to continually stop and start my engine.

When I FINALLY found a gas station, right where Route 66 merges back on to Highway 40, my car took 14.7 gallons - in a tank that only holds 15 gallons. Now THAT was close.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
WEDNESDAY - May 21 Rialto, CA (San Bernadino)

We finally reached a milestone -- our last night before the end of Route 66.
And we were staying in a Wigwam!!

Jim's car looks good here. He only bought it a couple of months ago, but it has run perfectly the entire trip.

Of course the yellow car looks right at home too.

And this is where we finally took our GROUP PHOTO with everyone wearing their Route 66 hats. Thanks to the Barquist's for buying these for us.

Now to fill in some details... We decided to stay put and ordered Pizza to be delivered for everyone! Fran thought of that idea and it was a BIG hit!

Of course Bob, Jim and I went on a beer run by foot. After walking two blocks to a Walgreens, we discovered that they don't sell beer! Walked back to the Wigwam and then saw a Liquor store directly across the street. That's what happens when you're v-e-r-y thirsty from driving all day from Lake Havasu, Calico and Barstow.

We sat around the swimming pool with some other Wigwam guests and shared our Pizza. One of them was a couple from Australia who were also driving Route 66. But they were in a rental car and going the opposite direction from us. It was their very FIRST night while it was our LAST night! So we gave them a number of tips on where to go and what to see.

They were going to end in Chicago, while we were going to end at the ocean in California. I liked our plan better!
bigl

OWNER: Kumar Patel
Wigwam Motel
2728 West Foothill Blvd
San Bernardino, CA 92410

Phone: (909) 875-3005 phone
Web: www.wigwammotel.com
Email: info@wigwammotel.com

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
There are a lot more photos and stuff coming. Check back in a couple of days. I need to take a break while I get ready for a special 4-string gig on Saturday. :-)
rockband

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
What a great group of pictures. It sure looks like everyone had a great time and a great trip down memory lane.

dtm

the toolman
60th Anniversary Meet Chairperson
Dave
VCCA # L 28873
VCCA #83 Tool Technical Advisor for 1914-1966
VCCA #83 1940 Chevrolet Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Pictures are awesome...
Looks and Sounds like everyone really enjoyed themselves. Love the Wigwams.
Truly a trip down memory lane

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
THURSDAY- May 22 San Bernadino, CA

Just gotta show you some more WigWam photos. This is the kind of place that is a hoot to stay with a group of friends. While the neighborhood is kind of "seedy", we had no problems at all and felt that our cars and us were safe at all times. The rooms are VERY nice and clean.

One family did have a problem when they woke up the next morning and only had luke-warm water in their shower... It turns out that the pilot light on the hot water heater blew out during the middle of the night. We felt that that was just the luck of the draw. No foul.

A future VCCA member?

Lots of space and no noise after hours... and... no one making noise on the floor above you at night!!! ?? :-)

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000

The best was yet to come. The next morning when we got ready to depart, Kumar Patel, the Wigwam owner showed up and insisted on giving us a tour on the way out of town!!

The train station is completely restored. In fact the sandwich counter inside was a GREAT place for us to have coffee and fresh-out-of-the-oven butterscotch scones!! They were delicious. (Two points if your grand kids can guess what Fran is standing by.)

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000

One of the places that I had inked-in on our tour list was the ORIGINAL McDONALDS that was just a short distance from the WigWam. I figured that we'd go see it when we went to dinner... but since we ended up ordering pizza, frankly I forgot about this "must see" stop. But Kumar included it as our second stop. And, what a stop it was.

Since we went there during the day time -- it was OPEN!!! We got to actually go inside - where it is a Museum now (no food is served). And, all of the artists were busy painting the mural on the side. We talked with them and got a very interesting history about the location. In fact they took photos of our cars, and said that they were now going to include US on their mural!!!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
THURSDAY- May 22 Hollywood, CA

And now, the tourist stops that we were looking forward to for the past 10 days. Once we left the WigWam, we headed to Los Angeles. Larry Peterson from the San Fernando Region met us along the way and gave us a guided tour through the city. This was a huge benefit for folks that were busy watching the "wildlife" at Hollywood and Vine, and not paying strict attention to navigation.

First stop was to get a photo of our cars with THE SIGN in the background. This is not as easy as it sounds, but we managed to do it. This is one B-U-S-Y road!

Jim and Bob capture the moment.

I think that Sissie was the only person who got a photo of the Real Estate company that originally put up the Hollywood Land sign. Cool.
By the way, this is a good place to make a U-turn. :-)

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
THURSDAY- May 22 (afternoon) Hollywood, CA

And then it was time to get serious! Next stop was the PETERSEN MUSEUM. I don't remember how many cars they have on display, but it's enough for anyone to go into "overload". They have everything from one-of-a-kind to a car that maybe you (or your parents) owned.

I tried to capture some signage.

I took way too many photos to include them all here. You can get a better idea of the extent of this fabulous facility by going to their web site.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
THURSDAY- May 22 Santa Monica, CA

This is soemtimes called the end of "the road". For us, it was a good time to relax and stand-down. Bill and Sis take a moment to prove that they did finish the trip together. :-)

And then we took Jim's photo. It seems odd, but we never did get a group photo at this iconic ending. Everyone was so relieved to be free of a driving schedule, that they just went down the pier in groups of two or three. I might find a photo later of the cars parked on the pier - and if so, then I'll post it here.

Finally --- the ONE SIGN that we could have used many, many, many times on our journey. Did I mention how many times that we could have used this to notify the other cars?

We spent a couple of hours walking the world-famous pier. In fact we stayed until 7:30 pm hoping that the traffic on the freeway would be much reduced. Wow... were we ever wrong. It took "some of us" over 3 hours to go the 31 miles to our motel - the Santa Anita Inn, across the street from the race track.

(And I'd like to sincerely thank Jim and Sabrina Karras for finding and checking out this site for us about 6 months earlier. It worked out very well for us.)

I'm glossing over a "small" side story at this point, but maybe it'll be printed somewhere else, sometime. You'll know it when you see it... because.. there is a AAA Tow Truck involved!!! Ouch.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Think we're done yet? Not a chance. I still need to show you who cleaned my windshield on the way home!!?!?!?

parking hood wow

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I'll bet that I know who that was!!! yay bana2

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Cool stop at THE McDonald's :-)
be interesting to see your cars incorporated into the Mural !!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
FRIDAY- May 23 Arcadia, CA

Yes, we did eat during the trip. I'll try not to show any food... or pictures of people "eating"... :-)

Also, we gave ourselves awards... !!?? (Thanks to Steve and Elyse
for being the award fairies.)

Bob also got recognized since today was his birthday. He's now eligible for Social Security. Ehhh... on a Gold Card.

Dick always enjoys going to resturants.... and food. :-)

Bob... uh... well... likes to find food in small containers.

Elyse appears to be SOOOOO innocent here... Don't believe it!!

Oh, gads. Don't get me started with Florence. She is taking a
HUGE piece of mudpie back to her motel room... Looks like Bob
might get another birthday present tonight.

Ahhhh... Sallie is enjoying the moment. Don't disturb her.

Sis received an award too. (Probably for putting up with me for the past 15 days!!)

Steve's ready to go home.

NOTE: Not all members were shown here. The names of some members are being withheld to protect the innocent.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
SATURDAY- May 24 North on 101

First up is a ticket that Steve got when we stopped for lunch at an
In-And-Out. He was number '66'

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
SATURDAY- May 24 at Sylmar, CA

Here we are at the famed Nethercutt Musuem... Mikey is multi-tasking.

The cars are all lined up and easily viewed. It's very nice to be walking on carpeting. This place is truly "top drawer".

A 1928 Diana... from the Moon Automotive Company... the first of THREE cars from Moon that are on display here.... Amazing.

Radiator mascots. Wanna see more? (Keep scrolling)

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
SATURDAY- May 24 at The Nethercutt

Got spark?

Another Tucker?? Gads. How many are THERE?

Here's an interesting view of a 1939 Rolls Royce Phantom.

Cord, anyone?

My favorite photo.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
SATURDAY- May 24 at The Nethercutt

And, then we went across the street for the "private tour"... nanana

The entire building is built to represent an authentic Dealer's Display from the 1930's. For "upper end" vehicles... Sorry Chevrolet and Ford.

By the way, if you go here, you NEED to request reservations to view the "private reserve" of cars. But I can tell you, it's worth it. And... are you ready for this? It's all FREE!!!!!

Every car on display (250+) is fully operable. They told us that they drive EVERY SINGLE car at least once a year!! There iis not a single car on display that does not run. Wow.

Bob and Florence looking for a Father's Day gift. (Dream on.)

Our tour guide was excellent. Very knowledgeable.

Double 6 means a 12 cylinder!! Wow.

All cars are painted in authentic colors. No mods of any kind allowed.

Did you say that you wanted to see more mascots? How 'bout these?

And the grand fianlie was going up to the third floor. That is the "music" floor. This is a fantastic display of instruments that were all built and functioning during the early part of the century. They are fully maintained and kept operational by a full-time musical instrument curator. All displays here, earn their stripes during every tour.

The Nethercutt Museum
15151 Bledsoe St
Sylmar, CA 91342

Phone: (818) 364-6464
Web: http://www.nethercuttcollection.org

Admission: FREE
Reservations: Required for private tour. See Web site.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
SATURDAY- May 24 near Hearst Castle

While we were having dinner at the San Simeon Resturant, Steve's twin (or rather, his car's twin) showed up and parked outside the restaurant. Steve immediately jumped up and left his meal in order to take this photo.

Later on, Sis and Sallie enjoyed the sun setting over the Pacific Ocean....

...while Florence enjoyed her dessert that she brought from the resturant. What a tease.....

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
to protect the innocent ?? we are the Innocent !!

That is a top notch museum and display of cars...
well worth the time to visit I am sure

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Can't believe I missed you all coming through my neck of the woods. I'm about 3 miles from the Santa Anita Inn. Maybe next time.

Jim Barnhart
Temple City, California

Link to Jim's Chevy
1929 Sedan
1969 Corvette Coupe
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Yep.. too bad.. we pretty much spent the entire day in the parking lot working on the cars. It turned out to be a good place to do that.

The only thing that I was missing when I rebuilt my distributor were the correct screws to re-install the rotor. So I went to the local Auto Zone, bought a couple (shortest that they had) and then came back to the motel and CUT them shorter!! ha ha...

MORE PHOTOS -- and a short VIDEO are still coming to this thread... carrot Stay tuned.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
SUNDAY- May 25 Paso Robles, CA

Departed from the Motel alongside the Pacific Ocean. I was very surprised that my windshield was dry in the morning.

We decided to get a few miles under our belt before we stopped for breakfast. Little did we know that we'd run into detours and road construction.

Finally found a McDonald's at Paso Robles. At that point in time we were ready for anything!

Sis, Florence and Elyse seemed to really like this place.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
MONDAY - May 26 Castrol Valley, CA

Spent the night with my Aunt and Uncle. First time in 14 days that we didn't have to pay for a place to sleep. Now THAT felt good. I slept like a baby. bed

Got a Phone call from Dean Meltz (CHAT: Rustaholic). As it turned out, he only lived 4 miles from my Uncle. So we went over to see his "stash".

Here he is in his 1928 1/2 Ton Canopy Express.

The engine is completely original. Lucky for Dean it was not started between the 1950's to just recently. Now Dean takes it to schools and lets kids see a piece of working Americana.

In fact Dean told us that he was going to be in a parade the next day.
NOTE: I'll Post a VIDEO of a ride that I took.

Then when we got back to my uncle's house, there was another surprise parked across the street? It was a 1922 Star!!!

A former neighbor drove it over for his annual visit. If I remember correctly, his dad originally bought the car when it was new!!! Needless to say, it is in excellent condition.

Now the interesting part -- The owner happened to mention that he was going to be in a parade the next day -- the same one as Dean!! How's that for a coincidence? stressed

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Here's a treat. I got a ride in Dean Meltz's 1928 Canopy Express truck. See the video HERE.

Last edited by Bill Barker; 02/02/19 09:27 PM. Reason: Link updated
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
What a great old truck. That is the first that I have seen with the metal panel behind the door. My '28 Canopy Express, also from California, has a small rectangular window on each side in the space behind the door. I also has a Hercules Body.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
TUESDAY - May 27 Weed, Ca

Stopped at one of my favorites places -- Weed in Northern California. Took a photo that mimics one that I took 4 years ago at the same spot.

Reached our motel at Grants Pass, Oregon.

If you don't know, Grants Pass is located just a little bit north of Medford, Oregon (Of Junk Yard Dog fame.)
And since we were in the area, the JYD never misses an opportunity to check out a vintage Chev.

Not surprisingly, he showed up at our motel.
Surprisingly though, he is very trainable.

Bill checks out Skipper's attention to detail.

I figured that this would give me a great start with a CLEAN windshield the next morning, when left for the final leg to home.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
WEDNESDAY - May 28 Grants Pass, OR

Time to make the mad dash to home. Only about 8 hours of driving and it will be the end of the road for us.

I forgot where I was... Oregon. And do you know what it does in Or-re-gone? It rains!!!!

And it rains.

And, you guessed it.....

ditto

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
LESSONS LEARNED - May 28 Seattle, WA

One thing that we learned on a previous trip is that motel rooms don't have many electrical outlets. And the second thing that we learned is that our lives are fully run many MULTIPLE doo-hickeys that need to be recharged... nightly.

Bob and I came up with a neat solution when we went to Flint in 2011. And we both used the same solution on this trip with our wives. Here is a "flexible" power strip that I carried along with 6 chargers that I kept plugged in to it at all times. Two Walky Talkies, 2 cell phones, 1 Kindle, and 1 Notebook. And occasionally I would unplug one of them and plug in my Laptop.

The beauty of this setup is that each morning I just disconnect the devices and kept the chargers plugged in. Then I picked up the entire contraption and put it in a soft canvas bag. Then it goes in the car just like that. At the next evening's stop, I just pulled it out of the bag and plugged ONE cord into the wall - and all 6 things are ready to be charged... Looks sloppy, but it works like a champ.

Quick and easy. And it leaves you more time to relax with your friend, Bud Light. beermugs

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Kindle?? Who had time to read??

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
After 5,310 miles we were finally home. bowdown bed

After this posting, I will include some additional photos that are out of sequence, but worth showing.

If you haven't figured it out by now, all of us had a fantastic time... I think that everybody would do it all over again. One person already sent an email asking "When do we leave?" after I suggested that some folks might want to drive it again, just to see the spots that we missed!

At the end of the next couple of days of additional photos, I'll post a summary of our statistics. Maybe this will encourage some of you to drive the "Mother Road".
wave

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Steve's station wagon had an odometer "event"... He took a picture of it on the side of the freeway!! I think that this was in New Mexico....

A few days later, after we left the Pacific Ocean and headed north to San Francisco, my corvette turned 66,666 miles, but I didn't see it until we were 12 miles past that. I actually thought about backing up to see it, but then decided that it wasn't practical...
Dang it. bigl

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
When we were at the Calico City Ghost Town, there was another family just walking along the main street of town.. and they had their a pet with them. This was too cute to pass up.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
More pictures by Steve (Kassis)...

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
And still more.....

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
If you have a problem on the road, THIS IS THE PLACE that you want to have work on your car!!! (See info about Bob's shop in Flagstaff in a previous posting.)

Four of our cars getting ready for a peaceful night at the BLUE SWALLOW.

I swear that this is the BEST CREAM SODA that I've ever tasted!!

Would YOU eat here? bigl

Don't ask. bonk

Photos courtesy of Steve K.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Even photos don't begin to capture the entire experience of traveling Route 66. People from around the world come there to drive it. As mentioned previously, we met approximately 25 motorcyclists from Germany, a funny couple from New Zealand and a nice couple from Australia. I's sure that we would have met more, if we hadn't been so busy TAKING PHOTOS!! :-)

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
This is the entrance to the Cadillac Ranch.
World famous and even sacrilegious to some folks.

Oh, my gosh... did she REALLY do that!!! (...cool)

We were VERY lucky to miss some bad weather by a couple of days. It sure made it a scenic trip for us.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
A good stop that you shouldn't miss.

If you are driving WEST on I-40 from Texas, there is a FREE car musuem that you should stop at. Just after you cross the border into New Mexico (at Ende) is Russell's Truck stop. Not only can you get gas, and eat here, but they have a heck of a good car museum.
It is Excellent. And there's a huge GIFT shop as well as tons of ice cream and other treats to help you cope with the heat.

Russell's Endee Truck and Travel Center I -40 exit 369.
Gas, classic cars, museum, Subway, grocery store.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
More photos along the way.

Kumar took us to a "Vintage Car Dealer"... He really knew what we wanted to see. :-)

I wondered why my shoulders were kind of raw the morning that we were ready to depart the WigWam. Then Sis took my picture and I figured it out.

An authentic section of Route 66. You can travel almost as fast as the Interstate... but who wants to?

When you go to the first McDonald's, look for our cars on the mural. And, please, post a picture here!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
And a set of Burma Shave signs... I have four more sets, but I'll only post one here.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
And, the last of our pictures... I think....

A photo taken at HOLLYWOOD and VINE... (this wasn't the way that I envisioned it)

Our hotel in the LA area. We "thought" about going for a swim, but then decided NOT to...

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Thanks and Recognition

Thanks to Jim & Sabrin Karras for checking out some motels for us 6 months in advance. We stayed at two motels directly based upon their recommendations.

Thanks to Leon Esparza and Joe Smith (and the rest of the gang from the Heart of Route 66 VCCA Region. They met us an hour up the highway and then guided us to our first Route 66 stop at the Round Barn. They even had lunch waiting for us!!! And then they led us to our motel where we parked our cars and they chauffeured us the rest of the day and evening. This was a HUGE relief to us after we drove almost 500 miles four days in a row to get there.

Thanks to Fred Johnson and his wife for driving for 3 or 4? hours just to have dinner with us at Lake Havasu.

Thanks to Robert Pennicker for taking in a wayward "vintage" vehicle with almost no brakes and getting me back on the road the same day.

Thanks to JC Stone and his family for joining the VCCA when we stayed at his motel at Lake Havasu. We will see you again at Lake Tahoe in August 2016.

Thanks to Kumar Patel for giving us an unexpected tour of San Bernardino the morning that we departed the Wigwam Motel. You are a huge asset to the memory and preservation of the Mother Road.

Thanks to Dean Meltz for letting us tour his place and giving me a ride in his 1928 Canopy Express.

Thanks to Larry Pearson - San Fernando Valley Region for leading us through the maze that is known as "downtown Los Angeles"... We would never have been able to navigate our way unassisted.

And a special thanks to all of the great people that we met along the way.
-Two waitresses (in Kansas and Arizona) get our special thanks for feeding all of us (with guests) and keeping our table laughing the entire evening.
- The owners of the motels that we stayed at. We found that their cordiality and hospitality were genuine and honest.

STATISTICS

Miles
Everyone drove at least 5,310 miles on the entire trip. Some drove more due to visiting friends that were located off the main road.

We drove 64% of Route 66 (Modern length 2142 mi).

Total miles driven in the Land Yacht (Chevelle Station-wagon): 5,622 miles
Total gallons of gas used: 327
Low MPG: $ 13.06
High MPG: $ 22.02
Avg. MPG: 17.3
Highest price paid for gas: Salinas, CA $4.429/gal
Lower price paid for gas: Oklahoma City, OK $3.229/gal

1966 Corvette (used Premium for 2/3 of the trip)
Cost of gas for the trip ~ $ 1,212
Highest price paid $ 4.50
Lowest price paid $ 3.44
Avg. MPG: 15.9

Motels
Cost of motels for 14 nights = $1,439

Pictures taken:
Steve: 900+
Bill: 600+
Helgy: 1,000,000+
Sis: 150

Future Plans?
We could easily do this trip again and never stop at any of the same places. As I review my notes and list of potential stops, I'm amazed at how many additional places there are to visit. In fact a person could run the entire route and ONLY look for abandoned gas stations!!?!?! or abandoned motels!! It truly is a lesson in history that exceed's viewing any video or reading any book. There is no better way to see history than by living it.

Best of luck and good traveling if you decide to do it.

This is one item on my Bucket List that I'd be willing to re-live, because the Mother Road did NOT END. It is alive and well

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
What an awesome trip!! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Doug

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
A bunch of photos from the trip in an ALBUM format.

http://barkerville.net/Route66/

CLICK HERE
---bb

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I already have a Chevrolets...LOL

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.