Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
He's getting close to the "Left Coast"! yay pineapple carrot

If you're along his path, be sure to call his cell and plan to connect with him along the highway!! And dont' forget... if he doesn't answer, then he's probably eating one-handed!!!
bigl bigl bigl bigl bigl

<que music> music 17 days on the road, and I'm gonna make it home tonight! music <end>
woohoo
Call Blaine at 925.325.8051

--Bill B
See Blaine's Route HERE

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Bill,
Thanks for the assist with the photos.

Sorry about the duplicates.

This whole thing is exciting to follow. I feel like I met a celebrity.

Dan

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Just talked to Blaine. Tonight he's in Albuquerque, New Mexico. carbana

He'll try to send some photos later, which I'll post. In the meantime, I added some comments about today's adventure on the MAP that's tracking his progress.

Just move it around until you find the Albuquerque, NM pushpin, then click on the pin..... The comments will pop-up.

If the map doesn't show up, try again (and again).... We noticed problems earlier today, but eventually everyone gets it to display.... (Thanks Google.)

The Map is located H-E-R-E

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Guess he will meet up with the NM guys tomorrow?

I would think that the high desert to be the better option than up to Tahoe. More traffic but also more help if needed. The up and over can be a real challenge even without snow. Talked to VCCA member in LV today that would be available if needed for help or talk.

Might be able to cut off some miles by heading north from Alb toward SLC or west to Gallup and then across Indian country. Some interesting but lonely scenery.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Yeh, I think that he got "religion" today with some traffic close-calls..... so he wants to avoid the worst of CALIF... if you can. Ha!!

Here's a photo from yesterday!!! Be sure to read the caption.

[Linked Image from vcca.org]

"I stopped by this General Store in Oklahoma to pick up some Dapper Dan hair treatment for myself and some Standard 600w oil, both of which were on the shelf. They also had a good selection of Ford parts in a barrel - the owner tells me they are quite necessary for the daily repair the Fords need. He said that the Chevrolet owners mostly purchase road maps, Coke, and chewing gum - that's all they need to keep going"

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I-40 is not the most user friendly highway particularly where he has been. West from Alb. is not as bad until he gets closer to LA. If he wants thinking and goat counting time then across the reservations is a good option. Problem is that there are not too many road options so may have to put in a few more hours and miles. That stretch between Vegas and Reno doesn't even have goats to count. Has more mystery wrecks (single car run off road rollovers) than any other hwy. Saw three of them last time I ran it. Got to pay strict attention to gas supply too. Not too may places to buy or beg fuel.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
in 1969, my wife and i drove from cumberland md to so calif in an olds powered 50 chevy convert. in 1971, we repeated the trip in an olds powered 51 chevy woody. we still have the convert. we were really proud of ourselves traversing the country in 20+ year old chevys. our accomplisments pale in comparison to the current cross country trip in a stock 31 chevy. hats off. mike

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello Everyone from Albuquerque!

Spelling that has is a lot harder than driving to get here for days.

I had some great experiences in the last three days. Of course, meeting other club members, talking cars, and seeing workshops has been incredible.

As you can imagine it also involves 8 to 12 hours of driving alone each day - which for me has fun, necessary, insightful, and sometime emotional. When I think of "road trip", I am not drawn to it for just the roadside snacks, or even the mechanical charm of an old Chevrolet. Its also a time to be reflective, sometimes deeply lost in deep thoughts for as long as I want to be with no one changing the subject.

But now its time to meet the guys from town here and see old iron and get breakfast.

talk to you all soon,
Blaine

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Blaine,

You probably already know this, but if you are planning to head North in CA on I-5, this is the shortcut to avoid L.A. freeways and traffic. It's a good road "The Blue Star Highway" and the travel time is accurate at speed limits. Just a suggestion.

How to Avoid L.A.

You've really captured everyone's attention--and we all wish we were actually there with you instead of vicariously! Stay safe and be home soon.

1936 Low Cab Pickup
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Blaine,

I'll second WinoWally's recommendation of CA 58 being a good route to get west of the Sierra Nevada Mtns via the Tehachapi pass from Barstow to Bakersfield. You will have some opportunities to get off of I-40 and follow old historic 66 in western NM and across AZ. I recommend that when it makes sense. From Kingman, AZ I recommend AZ 68 to Bullhead City to Laughlin, NV and then south to connect with old 66 & west through Goffs, Essex and Amboy to reconnect with I-40 at Ludlow rather than going through Needles. Old 66 from Kingman through Oatman to Needles is an exciting and fun road, but steep and narrow and not the way to make time.

I have emailed Dean Echols (VCCA member in AZ that organizes tours) about your trip but have not had a response. Hopefully the locals along your way will chime in with better route alternatives to the interstate.

We are all watching and enjoying your adventure. It was an honor to meet you and your faithful stovebolt six steed as you entered Indian Territory.

Bob Strattan
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
As of this morning, this thread was viewed 2,913 times since Dec 7th.
bowdown driving

SEE MAP HERE

Bill Barker
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Is there something special I need to do in order to see the map? I've tried at least 25 times over the past 3 days and get https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zHYU-lwpbtA0.kLHc2pJ_4Sgw but the map part is blank and the bottom left says "DONE".

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Just talked to Blaine (6:45 CST). He's in Springerville, AZ. He may be stopping there for the night. He had a really good day of visiting with several VCCA members in ABQ, seeing Jay's shop/museum and scenic driving well off of I-40.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I've added a group photo of the VCCA members that met Blaine at Hug Chevrolet in Charleston, AR on Monday December 16; and moved the 2 photos I had posted earlier to a post in the Member's Photos Gallery on the chat room. If I have the gallery & linking process figured out the photo should follow. The other photos can be found in the VCCA Member's Photos section.

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

This thumbnail photo shows (left to right) Jack Schwartz, Blaine Dehmlow, Ed Vann, Frank "Buddy" Hug, Sr. & Bob Strattan with Blaine's '31 in front of Buddy's workshop on the Hug Chevrolet campus in Charleston, Arkansas during his December 16, 2013 stop on the coast to coast trip.

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

Bob Strattan
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
nhinchas,
Here is one possible fix for not being able to see the map.

The easiest and safest way to enable viewing maps in your browser is to add Google Maps to your list of trusted sites in Internet Explorer. Here's how:

• Click Tools > Internet Options.
  • Click the Security tab.
  • Select the "Trusted sites" icon, and click the Sites button.
  • Deselect the option "Require server verification for all sites in this zone."
  • In the text field Add this Web site to the zone, type "maps.google.com" (without quotes) and click Add.
  • Repeat the above step to add the following sites: "local.google.com", "www.google.com", and "*.google.com" (all without quotes).
  • Click OK, then click OK again to save your changes.

Other possible tips are HERE

Please let us know.

Map is located HERE.... and don't forget to click at the bottom of THAT page to see a larger version.

Bill Barker
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
This morning at 8 a few Rio Grande VCCA members met with Blaine for breakfast, then a short drive to Jay's shop, a lot of car talk and great friendship. Blaine's '31 started and ran like it was quite ready to go another thousand miles. We convinced him US route 60 was a good road and safer choice than I 40, and off he went into the bright New Mexico sunshine. Great fun.

If you have old Chevrolets, other old Chevrolets will find out where you live.
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
He is charging his camera battery right now and will send me a video in a little bit... i'll post it tonight.

In the meantime, I have posted a couple of sentences under his "pushpin" for today.

See the MAP HERE. chevy

Bill Barker
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey Everybody - hers a quick update from Globe AZ

I made it to Show Low last night, and left in a snowstorm this morning - not expected - for Globe, outskirts of Phoenix, and then west to Parker.

The visit I had in Albuqueruqe was awesome - it was great to meet the local chapter of Chevrolet enthusiasts and see what they are working on. I hope that all of who have collected, restored and preserved a part of our history will someday know how it has inspired and enabled, in a positive way, those of us that are new to the scene. So thanks a heap to all who show and share their knowledge and experience with these good old soldiers - the cars I mean!

I had a great discussion with Lee last night - just catching up now as if we had been friends forever! We happened on the subject of "driver cars" and how they are viewed in the club, and at shows and meetings. Of course I have an interest in that subject, and I hope to be part of helping the club grow and expose new people to the fun and deeply moving experience of seeing the country through the windshield of our venerable tributes to a simpler way of traveling.

Seee ya soon,

Blaine

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Driving after dark....

If the viewer doesn't display -- try this:

See a MAP OF THE ROUTE and the daily progress. (Click at the bottom of it to see a larger view.)

Last edited by Bill Barker; 12/20/13 03:07 PM. Reason: added direct YouTube link

Bill Barker
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
wow, great lights for a 31!

Ed
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Friday night status:

Talked to Blaine tonight. He's making good progress. Needs to adjust his valves tomorrow morning. Then he'll be on the road. Estimates that he might be home in two more days. Then the following day, he'll go to San Francisco for a final photo-op.

Where is he tonight? A Ha!!!! You need to check THE MAP to find out....
chevy

PS. As of tonight this thread has 3,505 views.
That makes an average of 250 per day.

Bill Barker
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Quite a few looks, EH? That's 'cause Blaine is a popular guy, huh. Or could it be that Good Lookin' Ole '31 Chevy he's drivin'?????? ................... the one with the bright lights.

'33 MASTER PARTS WANTED ~ ESPECIALLY SHEET METAL! RADIOS & "TRINKETS; TOO.
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey Everybody,

I'm in Mojave CA for the night. I noticed a noisy valve or two coming into Lake Have - uh - Sooo last night. After calling Bill, I thought I would adjust the valves first thing in the AM.

It turns out the noisy valve was due to a broken valve spring keeper on #6 intake. The pieces were lying in the spring cup, just barely wedging the valve stem to the cup.

I decided to make up a quick solution rather than to go looking for a keeper of some type at a parts store. So I got out a hand grinder and made the keeper out of a large washer I had in my supply bag. By using a thin piece of copper strand from a piece of wire, I was able to tie the valve up while I compressed the spring with a large screw driver, then slid in the keeper with a needle nose pliers - after I backed out the adjusting screw all the way to allow room to work. Normally I would expect this to take many tries, many swear words, and then drop the keeper pin down in the engine, but uncharacteristically, it went together in short order.

I might make it home tomorrow late if all goes well - going through Bakersfield and up the Central Valley. I'll let you know when I make it !!!

See ya,
Blaine

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Yankee ingenuity at its best! Way to go Blaine!

When you put together a slide show and go on the 'Travel Speakers' circuit, let us know where you are speaking and we'll bring our old Chevys to be inspired by your's! Even if it's just at the local donut house.

Cheers, Dean

Last edited by rustoholic; 12/22/13 01:45 AM. Reason: added a sentence

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Blaine, you dodged a bullet on that one. If you dropped a valve it would have been ugly.

I'm glad you stopped when you did before major damage could have occurred.

You're ingenuity continues to impress.

Dan

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (WildernessTruck, minetto, conv48), 66 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,057
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.