Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#291201 10/09/13 11:25 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello folks, I'm a newbee to your Chevy neighborhood and this is my 1st question in the 58-60 forum. I posted it in the NewBee section but I thought more 58 Chevy guys may stumble on it here.

I'm trying to remove the roof scallop from my 58 Impala hardtop to have it re-plated. QUESTION is..Is it glued on or screwed on? I have the headliner out and what I see is a heavy steel cross member across the back underside of the roof welded at the ends. It's about 6" wide and if the scallop is screwed on, the screws are completely hidden by that cross member. Don't know how I'd remove them. I'm hoping it's glued into the roof cavity but I don't want to start prying until I know for sure.

Some help on this would sure be appreciated...TKX, Chuck

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
It has been too long since I took one apart. Thought it was screwed in place but not sure. Hopefully someone with more recent knowledge will be able to answer more accurately.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 15,000
Online Happy
ChatMaster - 15,000
Got a little more information. Checked with a friend that installed the rear roof scallop 15+ years ago. He was sure that it either bolted, screwed from inside. Probably has studs on the back of the scallop and then uses speed nuts to hold it in place.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Chuck,

I believe we chatted on the telephone about this topic.

There are two clutch head screws accessible once the headliner is dropped from the rear window trim.

There is a flat steel plate and these screw heads are very easy to see once the headliner is dropped.

Remove the screws and the chrome vent pulls slightly rearward and out. That's how the factory built them. Now I do not know if someone may have glued yours in... if they did - shame on them.

Oliver J. Giorgi
Technical Advisor
1958 Passenger Car
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Ollie,
I was finally able to remove that roof scallop from my 58 Impala. I gave up looking for those screws inside the car and turned my attention to the outside. I found 2 small Phillips head screws in the black recessed area of the scallop (1 on each end). They were very hard to see because they were black-on-black and up in the recessed corners.
After removing the screws I had to pry up on the lower edge of the trim and it broke loose. Besides the screws there was some type of adhesive sealant but it popped loose easily.
This had to be a production line change because there were no holes in the roof under the scallop.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I think someone had that scallop out in the past - as the two screws you are speaking of only hold the black sheetmetal to the scallop - and not the scallop to the roof.

The adhesive was probably what you were finding resistant.

No production change - I have never seen a scallop without the inside screws UNLESS someone removed it and "forgot to install it" after the new headliner was in place. :o

I would recommend dum dum around the perimeter during the resintallation.

Oliver J. Giorgi
Technical Advisor
1958 Passenger Car

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.