Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hi Blaine,

So how's the heat in your '31? I have an aftermarket heater (it says Studebaker on the cover) in my '30, and on cold days all it does is re-arange the cold air on the floor. I also do not have a thermostat. Maybe that would help.
Cold temps predicted through the mid west for the next few days, but at least the snow/ ice/ rain should hold off till Saturday. Hopefully you can make some good time once your across the Appalachians. As the Brits used to say "Keep Calm and Carry On".

Happy Motoring,

Dan

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
usa

Keep track of Waldo..... er..... Blaine --- CLICK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just talked with Blaine at 5 pm PST.... I'll update the map on his pending route.

TONIGHT HE IS IN GETTYSBURG PA.
parking

Last edited by Bill Barker; 12/10/13 10:55 PM. Reason: Updated Location

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
FLASH!!! First video from this EPIC trip!! driving

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
That is fabulous! What a trip (both types).

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Awesome! I was hoping we'd get someone that could post pictures! Video is just a bonus! Do us all a favour, and get out and take a walk around the car, Blaine... We all want to see it!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Blaine,

This is great. All of us are along for the ride.

That is my kind of Road Trip Tip: A video on the finer points of the plain unembellished All-American hot dog as the ideal eat-while-you-are-driving-a-floor-shift-vintage-Chevy nourishment.

Brewster's idea is a good one, and with maybe a landmark, skyline or city sign in the background.

Thanks also to Bill B. for the progress-map and all.

See the USA! (I can hear Dinah Shore singing in the background.....)

Doug

SEE THE USA.......

Old Iron (cars, trucks, tractors, fire truck)
Too much, never enough........
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Daily report from Blaine:

Made it to Gettysburg last night and moving out now for Morgantown - 24deg!! I adjusted my radiator muff and hope for a little more heat in the cabin today. I had a great chat with Bill last night - I will forward another video tonight, including a detailed tour of the car, and my luggage!

It was quite magical yesterday going down the main street in Kutztown, snowing like crazy while the bells rang out "Silver Bells". The day finished the coolant level in the same place where it began, went through some oil, though. I stopped to change the plugs - more on that story later - and I noticed that the carburation is spot on - not too rich, not too lean, and not appearing to burn any oil, just slinging a bit. But from my British car experience, we just add oil and claim the nice distribution of oil on the underside is a built in rust deterrent!

More news, and new video to come!

See ya,

Blaine

Note: Blaine told me yesterday that he created a "cover" for the front of his radiator to allow it to stay warmer in the cold weather. He said that he found he only needs 3"-4" open to provide sufficient air flow.
--Bill B

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Here's Video number 2 at Hagerstown, MD.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Nice big red "X" showing.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Try this link:

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The link worked but I can't view the video because of my dial-up.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Blaine
It appears you may go through Tulsa. My garage is unheated, I do have a kerosene heater, I do have a lift, I'm 25 miles west of downtown Tulsa. My garage is full but I can pull the tractors outside. Love to share a coffee or meal with you.

ALERT - The next week through the 20th the weather looks great here, 50's during the day, freezing at night. However, they are predicting snow and extremely cold weather to arrive here on the 21st.

cordman
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Dunkin' Donuts - gotta love it. After all, "America runs on Dunkin'".
I like your idea of covering the radiator part way to let some heat build up. I tried something like that once with some cardboard. It worked ok as long as I was moving. Upon stopping, the temp quickly shot up to near the red, so I abandoned the idea. Probably had too much of the rad covered.
Are you still sticking to the interstates? I've driven my '30 a little bit on the local interstate loop, but the speed of the surrounding traffic just made me a bit too nervous. Especially scary are the ones that come up quick on your rear (and all you can see is grille and the word MACK).
Great videos, keep 'em coming. JYD, you're going to have to find yourself a faster connection. You're missing out on some good stuff here. And Mr. Bill, thanks for the map updates.

Happy Motoring,

Dan

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Blaine
I offered to help in the Tulsa area, now the Mrs. tells me I'm not available Sunday, hope you do not come through till Monday or after.

cordman
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Great video! Exactly what we were looking for... and you even left room for a third video of under the hood! I'm going to have to figure out how the Youtube uploads work before next years tour season!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Dateline Dec 12 5:53 pm

On the side of the road waiting for AAA - going to overnight in Lexington KY

I was coming off the free way and suddenly with no noise or warning the drive shaft seems to have come undone. Clutch engages fine but when you let it out, nothing, then some awful clunks.

I just spoke to Bill in person and he suspects broken axle shaft - will check in the AM.

I might be in the market for an axle shaft and work space rental if anyone has any contacts.

I am having it towed to a Days Inn near here.

Any and all ideas and suggestions are much appreciated! Also, any contacts or vintage car buffs/ members, etc in this area??

Will update tomorrow!

thanks,

Blaine

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Major bummer!

If you go to the main web site (vcca.org - requires a separate logon) and go to member services, you can search the member directory for 'lexington'. According to the database, there are two VCCA members in Lexington KY.

Hearts and wishes are with you!

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Blaine,
Broken axle is first thing that comes to mind. Very rear break a drive shaft in those cars. I have several shafts if you need one.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey Chipper,

Thanks for the advice - if I need the shaft, can you ship it overnight for Saturday delivery??

thanks,
Blaine

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Thanks Chipper -- But I don't know if he can afford your shipping fee!! bigl

I just talked to Blaine again. Also talked with Dave Miner. We are giving Blaine some additional phone numbers of Miami Valley Region guys who might be able to help him. But it's past 11 pm their time, so he'll have to call in the morning...

In the meantime, check out the PROGRESS MAP and read the info posted at each marker.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
TFS has new axle shafts and they can probably ship you one over night.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Blaine,
I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I would check on your progress. Behold and lo, there you are having, probably, the ol’ early-30’s broken axle problem. Maybe I can help a little to speed up your diagnosis and treatment. This might get a little wordy, but may help you get moving. I’ll generally be taking some of my stuff and others from the VCCA Chat site, so you can search further if you can do that from your Days Inn home.

First a clue we have all learned on Search: Good lesson for searches: the fewer key words the better.

So, here are several bits and pieces from a few posts I found. I might start with a few things not necessarily broken-axle related ( I had a “clunk” back there), to help you eliminate other possibilities.

....(Blaine, this is from a Chat post)...I think I gave you too many words for the search clue. Just search here in the 29-32 area, using only the word "clunk", and you'll find the right threads when you look at discussions from about November 2007. I'm still betting on a loose rear axle, since mine was loose before.

Blaine, another possibility....The nut that holds the front universal joint yolk to the mainshaft,should be as tight as possible,with the cotter pin locking in that position.The loose yolk on the mainshaft would be the most likely source of the "clunking" sound.If the nut is loose,it could shear the cotter pin off with very disastrous results.

(this was me) ...I just got my 30 on the road again, after finding a loose hub and a worn rounded keyway. I cut a new keyway on the other side of the taper, put the wheel back on good and tight, and made sure it still cleared the backing plate (still plenty of room). That was it. That clunk is gone, the one that I swore was coming from the transmission area. Search on here for "Clunk", it will help you find "Clunk 1930 Found the Source" for more details and the helpful advice I got.

So, Blaine, now on to the axles. My ’30 has two size axle shafts. One has obviously been broken and replaced with a larger diameter one. Here’s some info. you should use to see which axle(s) you have. The difference is plenty big enough to check carefully with just a tape measure, so one of us can get you the right axle.

(me here again) ...I checked both axles. There is a big difference, 0.20" between them at the inside bearing diameter.
The bigger one is 1.575", the other is 1.375". If the 1932 idea is right, they really beefed 'em up then.
I'm just glad I've put in sealed bearings now. No more oily floor, brake shoes, wheels, etc.

.....There is a topic in the tech talk section of this site which gives you the same dimensions as you quote 1930-31 1.375" and then 1932 at 1.575"

...If you have a 1932 axle shaft in your 1930, then the rear hub has been changed to a 1932 as well.

...rear of my '31 to replace the inner and outer sea...Blaine, this post, started by Vetteman 61 on Jul 09 2011, has and has a link to some great ’31 photos that will surely help.

...removed the axle from my 1931 coach to replace the seals. Here are pictures of my disassembly process. I would like to add that you DO NOT have to remove the brake backing plate at all. Once you can see the actual bearings if you put the drum and nut back on and pull the drum against the nut the axle will slide out.

Blaine, good luck. Hope this helps a little. call me at 937-533-0621. I'm only about 150 miles straight north of you, and I may be able to dig up an axle around here.

Doug

SEE THE USA.......

Old Iron (cars, trucks, tractors, fire truck)
Too much, never enough........
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Blaine,

I have a spare U-Joint if you need it. It is off of a '30 transmission, but the parts book indicates that the '30 and '31 U-joints were the same. Also a spare '30 transmission, but I don't know if it will fit in a '31.

513-207-3302

Good luck.

Dan

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Problem Confirmed - broken axle

I'll need to get one overnight to Lexington KY - if anybody has a used one and would not mind sending it FEDEX - I am in a position to pay handsomely! HA!

Please call me directly if you have any solutions in mind. Thanks so much for all the help so far!

Blaine

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
There is a VCCA member that lives very close to Lexington that has a '31 Chevy. Maybe he would have an axle you could use. I give you his name and number on the phone. I can overnight an axle if you can't find one closer.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shorty, Mr87Monty, THH, fonz8261), 80 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,070
Posts429,049
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.