Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#295414 12/06/13 10:44 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading every post for about the last three weeks in preparation for a solo driving trip I am making from Boston to San Francisco, leaving this Sunday or Monday. What a great resource and collection of knowledge. I hope to exchange info along the way about technical things and traveling in general.

It would be great to meet some people on the way from time to time, and have a coffee with other enthusiasts. I would also love to find out if anybody knows of anyone who worked at a dealership or the factory in 1931 - That would be neat to hear about and possibly record an interview to share!

Here is a bit about the car.

1931 4 door, 2 owner car, 48k. Engine was refurbished but not completely rebuilt about 20 years ago.
Here is what I did to get ready so far:
New top - it did not have one
Complete interior - not stock
New Clutch
New aluminum radiator, water pump, hoses
All new brake linings
New tires, tubes
Wheel bearings serviced
Steering box rebuilt
6 volt alternator, coil, condenser, points, and ignition switch
electric wiper motors
Period Harrison heater
6 to 12 volt adapter for phone and gps
Sleetchaser - period electric defroster panel
All new wiring

I could not find a place to rent that would allow me to paint the exterior, so did a little touch up with a rattle can for now.

The route is heading south from Boston until it gets warmer - - probably around North Carolina, then due west until get to my home near San Francisco - hopefully before Christmas.

I have basic tools, a good stock of spares, a credit card, a phone, and a ton of wyndam rewards points I got from work, so I'll likely be at a Days Inn in your town soon!!

Looking forward to being in touch with you all!

Blaine Dehmlow

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
COOL!!!!

Blaine, you have one great trip planned there! Best of luck on your journey. How far are you planning to drive each day? I realize that road conditions and terrain play a factor, but do you have a ballpark number? Say 300 miles or so? I'm a bit north of your planned route (Cincinnati, OH) so we probably won't meet, but I'm sure there are others you will run into. We did a long drive back in 2007, and the only major issue we had was overcharging the battery. It exploded. Worst part is, it could have been avoided had I backed the charge rate back (20+ amps continuous will do more than just boil the water out). Keep us posted on your progress. I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey as you travel across this great land.

Happy Motoring,

Dan

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Way to go, Blaine!!! I'm a little bit envious to say the least. I had something like that planned many years back but it never happened, unfortunately. If you can, document your trip each day; post some video here in General Discussion - it's new - &/or just post a bit of "how it's going" each day! I know I'd be interested in reading about your adventures!!! Back tires in the Atlantic to start; front tires in the Pacific to finish, EH!!

'33 MASTER PARTS WANTED ~ ESPECIALLY SHEET METAL! RADIOS & "TRINKETS; TOO.
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Blaine,
If you get to the Houston Tx area I would be happy to try to meet you. I have a 40+ year "hoard" (that is what some of my buddies call it) of 1931 parts should you need one. Not a coffee drinker but another beverage would be great. Even have a spare bed if the Days Inn (yes we have one in our small town South of Houston) is not your nights preference. If you are a VCCA member you can use the online access to VCCA membership database to locate members on your route. If not a member you can join online at vcca.org website. Have a safe trip.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Blaine... I hope you have a camera with you, and are able to post photos for us! I love a good road trip journal! We even have a forum here for journals... Hint, Hint!!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Wow...Way too cool. We are having some bad weather west of us here in Northwestern SC. Freezing rain for tomorrow so please be careful, take a ton of pictures and keep a log of what you see and do. We would love to do this is our 32 one day. Peace,

Mac

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Blaine,
Good luck on your trip. It sounds like this will be a trip to talk about for many years to come. Please be sure to bring a video camera. After all Bill has made a new way of communicating via the addition of video's to the chat area. Many of us will be looking forward to seeing your posts about the trip. This is a trip I took in the early 70's but in a new car. It's wonderful way to see the country.

Someone's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
If you come by Cotulla, TX drop by.

David Nittler
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much to you all for the kind responses and offers - I certainly will post some pics and video - just got a GO PRO camera this morning.

I am truly looking forward to checking in with people when I am in their areas.

I have a leaking valve cover gasket to fix today, changing the oil, and installing the rear view mirror - just waiting for some of the snow to melt and the sun to peek out.

The big goal tonight is to pick a route out of New England that avoids icy roads and big cities. Gonna shoot for about 200 miles on the first day. I would expect there to be some things to tinker with, so we'll see how it goes. If things do settle in and everything is running well, I will probably plan to drive all the daylight hours I can unitl I get far enough south or into good enough weather not not have icy roads at night.

It turns out, I am a bit more nervous than I thought I would be. When I was 20 I did things like this all the time with little or no prep, no mechanical experience, and no money - and it was glorious and horrific, and I loved it. Now I have a bit more resource and experience, especially with the power of this forum behind me, but I have grown a little squeamish about laying in the slush at night under the car in big city. I am not that worried about having problems in the middle of nowhere, that has less variables in it for me.

As a kid I remember watching a TV movie that later became the Waltons TV series about trying to get home for Christmas - even then I wanted an old truck like the ones they were driving through those dark snowy nights. Now I'm on my own holiday homecoming quest, missing my two girls and wife intensely already, but feeling equally drawn to being alone on the road in the old Independence.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Be safe and take care. We will all be thinking about you as well as prayers. I know I would feel the same as you. A small amount of anxiety is good as it will keep you alert.

Mac

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If you get somewhere and need help let us know. We know people across the US that would be happy to lend a hand or parts. Documenting the trip in words and pictures would help others make a similar trip, either in person or vicariously.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Blaine,
A good place to post your TRIP photos, dialogue and video is in the YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE forum.
See HERE

If you forget, I can move it for you, once you start one.

I have driven my '31 from Boston, MA to Fredricksburg, VA. My only advice is to avoid rush hour - which generally runs from 6 am until 7 pm, Monday thru Friday. Saturday and Sunday is only 8 am until 5 pm. !?!?!? Sorry.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Blaine,

What a great goal. You will only be alone when you want to be, and there will be dozens of us in VCCA ready to give a push or pull when you ask. As for the "jitters" part, DanR (from the post above) won't brag at all, but his understated "We did a long drive back in 2007" was an amazing 7000 miles, or more, as I remember, everything from no-road deserts to scenic European back roads, from Peking, China all the way to Paris, France, in his '30 Chevy. Dan will be a great one to stay in touch with for encouragement, and some great stories, along the way.

Joining VCCA, and having access to our on-line list of members and their information whenever you need it would be a great comfort and benefit.

Keep in touch. We'll all be rooting for you.

Doug

SEE THE USA.......

Old Iron (cars, trucks, tractors, fire truck)
Too much, never enough........
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Good morning Friends,

Once again, thanks for the offers of assistance and encouragement. I did join the VCCA for that and other reasons, and have to recommend to all the readers of these forums to do the same.

Made it to Waterbury CT yesterday in about 4 hrs - 155 miles. Road speed was between 40 and 47 mph most of the time. Looks like I am getting between 17-19 mpg.

We had three inches of snow last night and now a steady light rain - since freeway speeds have dropped due to conditions - I can blend with traffic now!! I am going to stay on the freeway today, though it has risks ( other drivers) and benefits(plowed and salted). Would like to get to Allentown PA before dark. I mostly need to get through New York ASAP - I might have an outstanding ticket or two there still on the books for driving a sponsored show roadster I built on a scenic byway. Because the car said "Autodesk" on the side, they got me for commercial advertising on a scenic roadway. I appealed by mail, but never heard anything.

The car is using a bit of coolant, which I thought was from the fitting I made to install a heater, but that was dry.

QUESTION - is there a freeze plug on the back of the block, or could it be leaking from the head gasket??? Anyway, since the temp is near freezing, and the engine temp is staying cool, I'll soldier on for now l I can get to a better place to look that over and the oil leak from the rear main.

QUESTION # 2 - anybody in PA want to arrange a day rental of a garage space?? Please feel free to call - 925.325.8051 or post here.

talk to you all soon,
Blaine

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Glad you are making progress.

Yes there is a core plug on the back side of the block. Not easy to access with the engine and body in place. A hole can be cut in the lower firewall to gain access and then welded back later if necessary.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hi Blaine,

Sounds like you are making good progress. As for the coolant leak, if you overfill the radiator, the coolant will expand when the engine warms, and be blown out through the overflow. When cold, the top tank only needs to be filled enough to cover the top of the radiator core, and maybe a little more. Keep on truckin' and stay warm.

Happy Motoring,

Dan

Last edited by DanR; 12/09/13 11:50 AM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hey Blaine,you are making good time sounds like to me ! I cannot help you in Pa. but if you are gonna be in N.J. my gaf is in Red Bank and I could roll out the ol 31 if you would like to do any light mech. work...Not a proper auto shop but got tools and a dry floor !! I sent you a PM the other day so check your private messages. Best of luck,Merry Christmas to you !!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Blain -- what is your tentative major cities?

At Allentown, I can't tell if you're going to continue West or head South some more.

--Bill

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Blaine-I will be looking forward to seeing your progress, you definitely are having an adventure of a lifetime. Yes, Chipper is right, there are tons of VCCA members along your route if and when you might need assistance. I have driven my Independence many thousands miles, but not all at once like you. Please keep us posted.

hoppy

"Four-Doors-Forever"
Jmm Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Ok if your headed south through richmond va and need a place to stay. Look me up on the vcca. I doubt if your doing the interstate 95. I am right off route 1. I will be in nyc 12-19 thru 12-23

Jmm

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Good Morning again!

First, thanks to Chipper for the freeze plug tip - cant really see if that is the source, but when I get to a place where I can do a thorough look, I'll be glad to know what you passed on.

DanR, jay32249,and Jmm, thanks for the tips, invitations and encouragement. At this time I west and north of you all, but we'll see what turns up!

This morning in Allentown we have 3 inches of new snow and will get snow all day. I am gonna head out about 10 AM toward Lancaster and then Gettysburg, hoping to get to Charleston, West Virginia in a couple of days - just trying to get south and a little west for now. Ultimately, will shoot for Springfield Missouri next. If weather stays sour, I'll head south more directly. I would also change routes to catch up with folks from the forum here if that works out.

Might be really icy tomorrow as temps drop - so a layover somewhere between Gettysburg and Morgantown might be necessary - anybody around those parts want to hang out??

See ya,
Blaine

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Just my curiosity, I am wondering why you are going through the mountains instead of the more Eastern route down the valley? I expect the weather (snow/ice) would be less that way. Any way not my business which route you choose. If get close to Morgantown "Corvette" Mike McCagh lives in Cumberland, MD a little East of there. I am sure he would welcome you and your coolant leak. Never been to his place but suspect he has every tool and gadget needed to work on an old Chevy.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Blaine-If you are going thru St. Louis on your way to Springfield, Mo. and would need a place to stay or a garage to make repairs, we have the Greater St. Louis Area Region of the VCCA and many members here who own and drive 1931 Chevrolets that would be happy to help out in any way. 314-852-8991

hoppy

"Four-Doors-Forever"
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Let's try something....

SEE BLAIN'S PROGRESS H-E-R-E

[Linked Image from vcca.org]

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Great way to follow his progress! Thanks Bill!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (swedechev), 50 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman, JEC51
18,307 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,046
Members18,307
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.