Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#280127 06/06/13 04:47 PM
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Incredible service !!! I placed an online order around 11:00am on Tuesday and had the parts in hand at 12:00 noon on Thursday - 48-hours from Oregon to New York.! Reasonable shipping rates, too (USPS Priority Mail)

They'll be getting ALL my business from now on.

-BowTie Bob
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The Filling Station is a great vendor with great service, but I think it's important to note that the quick delivery and reasonable rate was provided by the USPS. I recently shipped 70 pounds of parts in two boxes from NH to TN and they were delivered in two days @ a cost of around $35.00. I think it's important to give credit where credit is due and the Filling Station wisely chose someone who could provide that excellent service.

PS: I do not and have never worked for the USPS.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by m006840
The Filling Station is a great vendor with great service, but I think it's important to note that the quick delivery and reasonable rate was provided by the USPS. I recently shipped 70 pounds of parts in two boxes from NH to TN and they were delivered in two days @ a cost of around $35.00. I think it's important to give credit where credit is due and the Filling Station wisely chose someone who could provide that excellent service.

PS: I do not and have never worked for the USPS.
iagree

Ed
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Man, I could write a book of horror stories on the lousy service that I have received from the USPS in the last twenty plus years.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If you hadn't bit the mailman your service might have been as good as mine. USPS has been the most reliable and fastest by far. FedEx is okay and UPS has destroyed or lost more stuff with fewer shipments. The UPS delivery driver is a good friend but understands that not all in UPS are as conscientious.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Chipper....obviously you live on a different planet. bigl

Out here the USPS has one lousy reputation. I have several friends who are mail carriers and you should hear the horror stories that they tell about the mail service and what happens to our mail during delivery. Even my neighbors have had problems with the USPS. I ship both UPS and FedEx and I have done so for many years and I have never, ever had as many problems with UPS or FedEx as I have with the USPS.

Heck, I can tell you about a check that I sent to a friend that lives 21 miles away that took four weeks to get there. Then there was the time the mail carrier put a package out in the woods near my house, in the snow, that I didn't find for three weeks.

How about the time that I sent a package to a friend of mine 200 miles away? I had his package weighed at the local post office, I paid the correct shipping that the USPS requested and the package was shipped to the post office where he lived. He actually lived right next door to the post office in his city but they sent the package back to me with a postage due bill of 2 cents and the package was completely destroyed in the process.

Let's see....oh ya, then there was the time that the mail carrier put a package containing breakable material in my mail box out on the road. Not a problem......except that the package was twice as big as my mail box so he smashed it down to size so that it would fit in my mail box! Then, several winters ago it was snowing so the mail carrier put all of his route mail in my mail box and went home for the day. I called the post office to tell them about it and they asked me if I would deliver the rest of the route mail for him.

Yes, I do agree that sometimes the USPS does provide fast service. It happened to me once! I had a package shipped to me via Priority Mail that took 11 days to get here. Then on the flip side of the coin, an eBay seller sent me a package via Media Mail (everyone knows how slow Media Mail is....and it is slow.....that's why it is Media Mail because it is cheap) and I received that package in two days flat! Hum....let's see here.....when did Media Mail become way faster than Priority Mail?

Oh ya...I can remember that not long ago I had about 40 letters in my mail box......all for other people in other zip codes!!! I called the post office on that one too and they said that it was absolutely impossible for me to receive mail in my mail box for other zip codes in California and in other parts of Oregon. Okay then...if it is impossible how did all of this mail get in my mail box? Especially since I took my mail out of my mail box just after the mail carrier put all of that mail in my mail box!

If you want to hear more I can go on for hours about the lousy mail service from the USPS. And, this isn't a rare occurrence......it happens three or four times a month.....every month.....all year long!

Their rates constantly go up and their service constantly goes down. Look at it this way. About 160 years ago we had a thing called the Pony Express. They could take the mail and deliver it by horse back from Missouri to Oregon in 10 days. In doing so they had to fight off Indians, change horses a zillion times, go through rain and snow and anything else that was thrown at them. Today, we have jet planes, semi-trucks, freeways, and etc. and that same letter can now go from Missouri to Oregon in 11 days! mad

So Chipper...buddy.....please don't tell me how great the USPS is because I have had over 20 years of experience with these dudes and you ain't gonna convince me that they provide great service. stressed bigl

For those of you out there that have great service from the post office that's cool! You are lucky and I am glad that you do get great service from the post office. But, where I live, and for miles around, that ain't the case....unfortunately.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I can tell you about the service and performance that I see with the USPS. Since it does not seem to be the same in Oregon just maybe the problem is with your carrier and/or the local post office, not the entire system. I am not the only one that has praised the USPS for good service here on Chat.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chipper
I can tell you about the service and performance that I see with the USPS. Since it does not seem to be the same in Oregon just maybe the problem is with your carrier and/or the local post office, not the entire system. I am not the only one that has praised the USPS for good service here on Chat.

They do good most of the time, but there are definitely some people working there that don't have any business working in such a customer related business. I sent a Christmas gift to my nieces in Texas addressed to "Da Gurls @" and the address. It was returned about six weeks later with a note "No such person listed as living at this address". My last name was on the return address and the same as the people living there, but somebody at the local postal facility felt the need to not even try to deliver it because of the way I addressed it, so the girls didn't get their present.

It only takes a few such people to give a business a bad name, and you've heard about a few of them here and now. I mostly use UPS now.

Richard
Waverly, IA
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Most of the time the USPS service is good from here, but to here, that's a different story. I had a rare 35 part sent to me on May 16th from Virginia, still don't have it, don't know where it is!!

Jon T.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
....maybe the problem is with your carrier and/or the local post office, not the entire system.

Not true. All of the "exploits" that I listed above were with different mail carriers. The lack of service from the USPS nation wide has been on the CBS News. Lots of folks have complained about their mail service and the total lack of management by the USPS. Another case in point is at our main post office in Medford, Oregon. If you deposit a letter there in the drop box, which is located right next to all of the PO Boxes, and the letter is addressed to someone that has one of those PO Boxes not six feet away, that letter will take, on average, three days to be deposited in their PO Box.

Last week, a dude was so upset with his mail service over at the Oregon Coast that he burned down his local post office.

Some people do get good mail service while the rest of us get horrible service. Just ask the VCCA guy from back east that was here on this site awhile back that was restoring the wood on his 1930 Chevrolet. He sent all of the metal braces for the car through the US Mail and the post office lost the package. I'm sure that he won't agree that the USPS provides good service.

Problems with the USPS mail delivery seem to be all over the USA and not just in my local area.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I have had good service from all 3 carriers but the USPS seems to be a little faster and cheaper. Guess we all have different experiences.

Ed
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I have had both good and bad service from all of the carriers. Several months ago I ordered a part thru E-bay from a seller in Fla. It was sent to 3 different post offices in California. I live in South Carolina and I still got it in 8 days. Go figure!

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Shipping via any carrier is always a gamble, especially when it's a hard to repair item. No matter which carrier careful packaging is required. If it shakes or rattles inside the package chances are it will not reach its destination. If its heavy it should be placed between two pieces of plywood or similar material and taped or wire tied down, and then packed in a corrugated box of proper size that does not allow it to move. Also important is to attach an address label to the part, use a marker and write the address directly on the package and then put a label over that which is covered with clear packaging tape. Even then there are no guarantees so be sure to insure it. When I ship with the USPS I use their packaging and the flat rate priority service. If you use a used box with FEDX or UPS stickers on it I can almost guarantee it will get lost. While I have also had some problems with the postal service I do not think its fair to compare letter delivery with package delivery. Try sending a letter via FEDX or UPS and compare the cost. Suppose the USPS decides to discontinue letter delivery- do you think FEDX and UPS will jump at the chance to get that business for the rates the postal service charges? I don't think so. With 46 years in the parts business and directly involved with shipping I can only say that all have their problems and I can provide horror stories for each, but in this case the quick service was provided by the USPS so I'm sticking to my original statement of "give credit where credit is due". Perhaps we could start another thread about shipping horror stories or intelligent people who burn buildings because they are upset.

Steve D
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
Another case in point is at our main post office in Medford, Oregon. If you deposit a letter there in the drop box, which is located right next to all of the PO Boxes, and the letter is addressed to someone that has one of those PO Boxes not six feet away, that letter will take, on average, three days to be deposited in their PO Box.

laugh wink beer2

Out going mail doesn't get looked at by the people in the post office where it is mailed. It is all gathered up and sent off to a central clearing house and sent off from there to the PO of delivery address.

Richard
Waverly, IA
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
That is correct and that is exactly my point. Because of the clearing houses, it is possible for someone in New York to receive a letter mailed from Medford, Oregon faster than a person in Medford with a PO Box, with both letters mailed at the same time in the Medford post office.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Our local post office has a drop slot marked "local stamped mail only" so the mail does not go to the sorting center. I would be curious if your local facility has one also.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I get the impression that they just tore down the horse stable from the PE days.

I even requested the Filling Station to ship by USPS whenever possible. Have not had any problems with their shipments either. Have shipped over 600 carburetors to every corner of the USA and some foreign countries nearly all by USPS. Have had a maybe a handful or two of delayed arrivals but that is all. Nothing destroyed or lost yet. Guess I need to start buying lottery tickets?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Guess I need to start buying lottery tickets?

Man, you should. With your fantastic luck you could be a zillionaire!

I haven't shipped anything of any value through the post office in years and I never will....especially with their extremely poor tracking system.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I guess I can speak up on this. I worked for USPS for 20 years. In the end I was a Postmaster. Yes, I got to hear all the horror stories in every town I worked. I went on to a second career and have retired from that as well. Lately USPS has seemed much better to me, getting packages amazingly fast cross country. They even have the electronic tracking systems like the other carriers. But two weeks ago I ordered hood insulation for my vette and watched it go to Anaheim for 2 days then Santa Ana for 2 days, then finally my town, several days late. I checked the label and the package for any markings that would excuse the misdirections, but none found.
But UPS is the real butthole for me. I ordered an amplifier and it arrived in pieces, with half the packaging gone. They wouldn't let me file the claim, only the sender could, so I had to send it back, on its way it was ground up even more. USPS allows either party to file a claim and the damaged item is kept at the local office.

But, I would like to agree with the purpose of this thread, and that is that I, too, have never had anything but excellent service from the Filling Station.

Jim Barnhart
Temple City, California

Link to Jim's Chevy
1929 Sedan
1969 Corvette Coupe
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Have you eaten today?? You seem a little crabby!!

hoppy

"Four-Doors-Forever"
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I eat every day. I am only crabby when I have to deal with the post office, which I try to avoid as much as possible. bigl

On the tracking, yes I have noticed that the USPS now has more of the detailed electronic tracking like FedEx or UPS. That was a good move on their part. Several weeks ago I checked the USPS tracking on a package that I was getting from eBay. The tracking worked fine.....except none of the tracking information was listed on the USPS site until the day after the package was delivered.

wink beer2

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hoppy, The JYD has probably been eating RFD mail carriers that are skin and bones and dried up old former left coast hippies. We have good service from USPS and UPS but FEDEX in my area, uses certified idiots that have been kicked out of the Texas MHMR Department looney bins.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I can tell you that on this side of the line we'll take USPS, Canada Post, FedEx and Purolator anytime before using UPS. It's not that they aren't reliable, they just gouge.

Best Regards, Pat
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I've had great luck with USPS and anyone who thinks they're overpriced needs to send a letter 2-3 day delivery with UPS or FedEx. I consistently get two and three day delivery of First Class mail for 46 cents. UPS is $28.27.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
UPS has many different rates depending on the type of customer and the service desired and the destination. Depending on your customer status you could pay much more than someone who has contracted service. It seems they have a rule and regulation (reason to charge you more) for almost every package. The company I worked for shipped nationally and internationally and determining the charges was the hardest part of the shipping process.

Steve D
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bishop, Chev Nut, THH, bowtiefan, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,069
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.