Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Not sure where to post this. I'll try here.

Is there a more central site/location that summarizes when and where the various area and other meets are to be held. Local regional information may need to stay in the local newsletters, at least until we get some kind of magical link that automates the local/national update process. But surely there are more basics known for 2013 and beyond, than now show up on our Upcoming Events Calendar on our website Home Page. That seems devoted to a few of mostly upcoming swap meets and tours. Fine for those, but there's room for a lot more, and maybe there's a need for another supplementary format organized by geographic location.

Is there another place to see a comprehensive national listing, maybe with a map, of area and even upcoming national events? Maybe this could be accompanied by a short summary, for new members and to remind old forgetful ones, that explains the region/area/national organizational concept, shows the areas and their meet schedules, as well as the national. This does not seem to be easy to find. Or maybe it's just my poor eyesight. Our Regions section under the Club Info tab on the website may be just the place for an explanation on this. It may even be a good idea to have a version of the map, or some similar geographic tool, right there on the Home Page. Sort of a “one click and you can find your local group” concept. I know there’s a link at the word “region” on the Home Page intro. to VCCA. What’s a region? Just thinkin’.

We just need to think through: How can a new wannabe Chevy person look us up and easily see where we get together, what’s coming up near him?

"Easy" is a good criterion for those new visitors we all want to encourage. Doesn't help much if just a few of us good ol' boys know what's happening in the “area”, when and where. As a post here about a year ago said, people like to plan ahead, to decide what to choose to do in their busy lives. And lots of the new ones will do it on their “mobile devices”, right there where their calendar is. VCCA, and the “Chevy folks events” that are the real fun to us all, needs to be right there on the list of possibilities.

Our website is a well-done and wonderful resource. Just a few comments from a common tater. Thanks.

Doug

SEE THE USA.......

Old Iron (cars, trucks, tractors, fire truck)
Too much, never enough........
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
A great idea would be for regions to submit their annual events to the website after their planning sessions in Jan./Feb. It would be impossible to include the local region stuff in the G&D, as once it's in print, it becomes very final, and a lot of plans don't work that way! Surely we are at a point where every region has at least one member that is computer literate enough to keep an updated list of their regions events available for the public to see on the chat site or VCCA home page.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Doug,

There is a link to a map on the Calendar of Events page.

Look in the upper right corner and click on "Map of North America Events.

Is this the kind of map you were looking for related to VCCA Events?

Regards,

Jim M.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Someone needs to look at that map... We have a "Gulf Coast Tour" happening in March somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Please check the map again. Now it appears to be correct.

Link to MAP

Regards,

Jim M.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The map appears to be correct when I checked it too.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
It's correct because I worked on it yesterday for Chipper. You must have looked at it just before I fixed it.
bananadead
I understand the scheduling thing. I'm one of those people who want to know months in advance what is coming up.

ONE - Cool Events Calendar
The general policy is that we don't add events to our OFFICIAL CHAT EVENTS calendar until they are submitted to the G&D.
I consider this to be the most official listing.
See it HERE

TWO - Chat Calendar
Now, we also have an unofficial calendar which ANY VCCA Member can add to anytime that they want -- without advance approval.
See it HERE

THREE - Calendar Forums
And just to make sure that we don't MISS ANYONE, we also allow posting of almost any kind of car event in the Car Meets and Events forums.
See it HERE

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I didn't realize the tour date icon was shown in the Pacific. Went back in and finally got it in the center of the Texas Gulf Coast. Had to get help from Bill to get the description to "save" correctly. Thanks Bill for the help. Anyone want to go? The Tour is filling fast. Of course it is only a little over 6 weeks from kick-off.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Chevykid, Bill B. and others,

Yes, our Events Map is the exact kind of map a user would want. It just seems that it is way under utilized. For instance, In Ohio, my state, there is nothing going on. Nothing. As a member, I know that here or somewhere nearby, there's an area meet sometime this summer. The map would make it easy to see if there was something, whatever Chevy, within driving distance for me. But the pickings shown are pretty slim.

This whole thing started as I tried to find out about the local area meet, and also looking through a potential member's eyes. Here are some of my comments on the comments so far:

Bill, thanks for the easy links. A great way to do it.

ONE - Cool Events Calendar
That policy that we don't add events to our OFFICIAL CHAT EVENTS calendar until they are submitted to the G&D may be a little out of date, as members and potential ones gravitate towards computers, phones and web sites for answers to their questions (see my first post on this thread). In our region, now, we have a situation where a major event just didn't make it in time for the magazine, but this map could be the easy way to get it promoted and the info. out to those searching for it. Maybe we shouldn't make digital stuff wait on the old print and snail mail technology.....

TWO - Chat Calendar
This is neat for a specific date, but I could not quickly find a way to search by a subject, and it certainly does not have the usefulness of a map.

THREE - Calendar Forums
Again, good if you are a dedicated, experienced VCCA Chat visitor, but too hard of work for a newbie to look for that quick answer to "What's going on near me, and when?"

And I think we still need to give more attention to explaining the region/area/national organizational concept. And, again, to making it easier to find the schedules for the various area meets around our part of the country. I might like to at least go see more than my own.

We need to make it easy and interesting for everyone who we send to our national web site. That's our future, like it or not. I like pretty Chevy pictures on paper. But I'm sorta old.

Doug

SEE THE USA.......

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Just a bump on your thinking...

Maybe we shouldn't make digital stuff wait on the old print and snail mail technology.....
The only thing holding up a posting to the ONLINE CALENDAR is that a Meet Request must be approved by the Area Director and then submitted. Whether it is early, or late, for the G&D is irrelevant. We WILL publish it on the web page AS SOON AS NOTIFIED. So the paper process/publishing/etc is NOT the pacing item any longer. Just the approval notice back to us.

For anyone else... we WILL publish online even if you DON'T publish it in the G&D (for whatever reason). And... get this... we'll even publish a year in advance!! as long as the Area Director has approved the Meet. chevy

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the bump.

We're moving forward. This is way better than coasting backwards down the hill.

Now about that Area stuff I was trying to bring up......

What's an Area? What do they do? When do they meet? Where?

Doug

SEE THE USA.......

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The USA is divided into 12 areas and one Board Member elected from each to represent the VCCA membership. One Board Member is selected to represent non-USA members. That way each member is represented on the Board by one Board Member. The Area Board Members are responsible for overseeing their area, coordinating activities within the area and also in adjoining areas. That process is aimed to not have conflicting activities that might cause a problem. The need for the Area Board Member's approval of official VCCA activities is part of that process.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Chipper, thanks for the info. I do respect the "coordinating activities" process. But my campaign here is more to the point of "How can we make it easier for a new or potential member to find out these things"?

We all love the opportunities that an area meet gives: Make/renew friendships with some we don't see at regular meetings; see lots of Chevies in one place; :learn more about our model year; see folks from nearby regions; learn about judging and being judged; etc.

What are the "Areas"? Chipper answered that here, but a visitor would find it very hard to find this. He would just give up. Or, more to the point, he would have no way of even knowing that there might be two or more really interesting Chevy events within driving distance. I'm a member and I can't even easily find out. So, this leads to:

When and where do they meet? Still no place to look that up, to see all the area meets, plan your summer for one or two of them, in your part of the country.

We can do better for ourselves and VCCA's future. What can we do?

Doug

SEE THE USA.......

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
5 members (Keith Knox, Tiny, Stovblt, THH, cufrcp), 76 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,066
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.