Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
123 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi this is grease monkey 123
My question is this. I know there is a oil o ring at the top of the valves just under the keys.but do they also have oil seals at the bottem of the stem and head.
I know on ford 6 cyl they have rubber seals that slip over the stem and goes over the valve guide to prevent oil from going down the guide and causing the engin to smoke.Thanks for any info

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
For a 216-235 engine, 1948 and up the O ring seal was used on the valve stem inside of the valve spring retiner. If this O ring is installed properly no other seals, etc. are necessary.

When insalling the O ring the spring retainer must be compressed, the O ring installed and then the the pressure released. If not done in that order the O ring willl be knocked out of the grove.

I use the Ford seal on pre 1948 engines as they have no provision for the O ring seal and have had good luck with them.

Gene Schneider
123 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Chevgene.
Thanks for the info. I don't know if this is true but a old timer told me that between 1950 and 52 they did use a seal like the fords on assembly..
What is confusing me is the car does not smoke but under the valve springs there are valve seals like the ones used on fords 6 cyl. I had found pieces that have broken apart and was on the head. Either they were put in at the factory for some reason or someone did it after. In all my books there is no mention of the ford type seals being used only the o rings.Because they are beaking up I guess I will have to replace them with the ford type.If that stuff the broken rubber or cork isn't removed it could clog something (LIFTER) or bend a push rod

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Believe me, I am an old timer also. Was employed at a
Chevrolet dealer (parts dept) from 1950-1977.......those seals were installed at a valve grind some where in the last 60 years. Was not unusual to grind valves on those engines every 35,000 miles or so.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
From another Old Timer, I worked as a mechanic in the fifty's and it wasn't unusual for the Ford seals (we called them bonnets)to be used on Chevy valve jobs if the guides were worn.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.