Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Jim58 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I am trying to find out the exact size and length of my screws that attached my 1958 chevy impala steering wheel to my column. My son removed them and took my wheel off and now I can't find screws to fit it. can someone help me out and let me know where I can get 3 screws at? I know the tread size is different than what I can find at the stores. The Car Club I belong to suggested I write a post in here here and you smart people could help me out. Thank you so much... Jim58

Long Live American Graffiti
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The steering wheel is attached with a large nut. Perhaps you mean the horn ring???????

Gene Schneider
Jim58 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
There are 3 bolts that attach the steering wheel to the car, those 3 bolts are what I mean. it hold the steering wheel in place.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Chev Nut is correct - the steering wheel is held to the steering shaft with a nut.

There are 4 screws that hold the horn ring to the wheel.
There are 3 screws which hold the inner horn spring/insulator to the steering wheel.

Nothing special about the thread size, they are standard hardware. I wish I could tell you the thread diameter/pitch but do not have that handy, but I do know it is not unique.

Oliver J. Giorgi
Technical Advisor
1958 Passenger Car
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Jim,

Try Clicking Here

I don't know which fasteners you are referring too either.

Jim58 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
ahhh, yes, there is a center bolt that attaches the wheel and 3 screws for the horn ring. they put an aftermarket wheel on and I need the nut size to attach the wheel, and the screw size for the horn.. but mainly the nut size to fit the center bolt, someone said 1/2 - 20 so I sent the wife for a nut that size.. hope it works.

Last edited by Jim58; 09/03/12 07:22 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.