Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#249105 07/15/12 09:11 PM
m006840 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 7,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 7,000
Yesterday I called Coker tire as I needed a tube for my 32. The salesperson asked what size tire do you have. I responded 550/18 and he replied they were out of stock for that size. I then explained that the tube I had(purchased from them with tires over 10 years ago) seemed to be incorrecty made as the valve stem was not in the center and had pinched in the stem area. Now he asked where the stem outlet was on the rim and when I said in the center he replied "oh,we have the center stem tubes in stock"."Most of the early Chevrolets used a side stem". It's my opinion that the salesperson's job is not only to sell me product, but to sell me the correct product. If he didn't ask which I needed this time I can only wonder what is in the rest of my tires. This certainly is not the expertise I expected from a company with such a prominent place in the antique tire market. I would have just let it pass taking responsibility for getting the wrong tubes as my error due to ignorance of the subject, however in the 1912-1928 Forum is a posting by someone also having received the incorrect tubes from Coker and it doesn't seem he is getting much help from them thus he is looking for help from VCCA members.

Steve D
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I'm sure you've already done so, but you might check one of the major retailers in your area (Goodyear, Cooper, etc) for tubes.
I was able to buy tubes from a local Goodyear dealer in VT. However, they were radial tubes for P215-70-15 tires. Worth a shot anyway. Might be able to special order.

Good luck.

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."
m006840 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 7,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 7,000
I did get tubes from Coker, but when checking with a local tire dealer they were no help as no one there was familiar with patching a tube and they didn't even have the patch materials needed. I ended up changing the tube myself which was a good learning experience as I'll probably be doing it again seeing as all my original tubes were offset stems. Sure explains why they had a hard time getting the stems positioned when first mounted. I now realize that few tire shops are familiar with tube type tires. Your suggestion of trying a MAJOR tire dealer is an excellent one.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
You might try tire dealers that deal with tractor and farm equipment tires. They, at least, might be familiar with tube installation.

ken48
VCCA 42589

m006840 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 7,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 7,000
Thanks for the suggestion Ken. I actually enjoyed changing it myself and seeing as I didn,t destroy the tube or mark up the whitewall I will most likely do my own from now on.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by ken48
You might try tire dealers that deal with tractor and farm equipment tires. They, at least, might be familiar with tube installation.
That's pretty much what I did...But, I found the "dealer" on Ebay...Not only was he extremely helpful...The tubes were a lot cheaper...I'd never buy from Coker, come to think of it, it was a day or more before they even returned my Email and then it was just useless information...

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
It was the Morrow Tire Supply, Inc. Very helpful...I just took a look at my receipt...Yep, he sold me farm inner-tubes...You can talk to him : kanemorrow@hotmail.com

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I had my "farm" inner-tube installed at the Big-O-Tires just a block from my house...They did charge me $25 (ouch) but they were happy to do it and that included balancing, something you can't do at home...And yes, when I got it back the weights were in a completely different spot...

Took another look at my receipt from Morrow Tire Supply,Inc. it was only $55 dollars for 3 tubes for my original '47 wheels...

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
m006840 / Steve,

I want to go back to your original post and offer a suggestion....or maybe outright give you a 'job' to do.

You said....

It's my opinion that the salesperson's job is not only to sell me product, but to sell me the correct product. If he didn't ask which I needed this time I can only wonder what is in the rest of my tires. This certainly is not the expertise I expected from a company with such a prominent place in the antique tire market.

I feel you're completely correct there. BUT, if nobody at Coker schooled him on that, how was your salesman to know?? I strongly urge you to contact Coker (maybe a "supervisor" type person) and let them know about the situation. Not as a p*ssed off customer; but as a guy who's "just trying to help." If nobody tells them, things will likely remain the same, which, of course, is not good.

Personally, I LOVE Coker. I've always had great service. Even on the one-two 'hassles' I've had over 20 years. I really hope you call and let them know. Let's face it, you'd be doing "us" (the next guy who has your need) and them a big favor.

Bill.

m006840 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 7,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 7,000
My original purchase was 12 years ago and the tubes are just starting now to fail. While I agree about informing Coker of the incident it will not be necessary as the error was rectified within the same phone call. While I expect to get the correct part the first time the person installing the part is responsible for being sure it's correct. There are lots of reasons that the incorrect items could be supplied-I know after being in the truck parts business for 46 years. Factory boxed wrong, stock incorrectly shelved, return from customer put in wrong packaging just to name a few. The shop that installed my original tires/tubes was one I used to service my regular cars and they mounted them and balanced them @ n/c for me so at this point I will call it a learning experience.

Steve D

Link Copied to Clipboard
Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shorty, Mr87Monty, Headlighter), 82 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,076
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.