Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#246643 06/23/12 03:53 AM
blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
hi there,
is there a rubber bung availiable that goes into the timing hole at the back of the clutch housing on my 34 chev std ,6 cylinder engine? see the picture:-

[Linked Image from i865.photobucket.com]

Peter

never give 100% unless you are giving blood.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
No,not originally. McMaster-Carr would probably have something that would fit. Why cover it?

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I would suggest leaving the hole open so air can be drawn in for clutch cooling. Some makes of cars had a hole with screen covering.

Gene Schneider
blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
just thought that on dirt roads, 80% of Australia is dirt roads, that it would suck in the dust and interfere with the operation of the clutch mechanism !

I will see if I can make a cover from metal fly-wire screen material.. cool
Peter

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Believe it or not, back in 1934 a high percentage of roads in the U.S. were dirt, also. East of the Mississippi river, there is a very low percentage now, if you discount those trails around southeastern Ohio. bike Agrin

Anyway, wouldn't screen door material just stop it up in short order? Unless you are splashing or throwing dirt at the hole, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It seems the starter might protect it from anything directly aimed at the hole from the ground. freak

I have never taken off a flywheel cover and found anything in its bottom except a little oil residue and a few other minute particles, certainly not clogged up as might be expected. monkey

Owing to the spinning and closed clutch assembly, I don't see how dust could hurt anything. Centrifugal force would surely keep it sufficiently clean. Dust may possibly blow out the same way it got in. Maybe the clutch release (throw-out in TN and OH) bearing could be harmed by the dust, but I don't know. stressed

Have you experiencing any unusually shorter life span, than normally expected, for any of the components that are exposed by the holes in the bell housing and owing to dust getting in there? Unless you are, I would recommend leaving the hole(s) alone. As Gene pointed out there is the cooling effect. That may be more important than the screening effect you propose. Your call, of course. auto

Best,
Charlie computer

blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
hi there, thank you all for the input.
the spinning effect of the flywheel may in some way help to expel any dust coming in, I like that idea.
I will do nothing and see what happens.
cheers
Peter

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Look out! They are coming your way!
pigspigspigspigspigspigspigspigspigs>>>>>>>>>> :aust:
greenman
You know, I got to thinkin'....Charlie may be onto sumthin idea M-port-tant, Maybe, If you need a dust plug for that flywheel timing mark access hole,......then maybe you will need one for your exhaust tailpipe! After all it is a lot lower down and back there at the rear of the car there is a lot of turbolance and the rear tires throw up a lot of mud and gravel and dirt! If that old six hiccups it might suck up a batch of mud or dirt. carbana

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Hi there Mr Mack,
I thought that we only had pigs that fly in Australia, ours fly upside down BTW.

Thinking about you idea of the exhaust pipe, I am now seriously considering fitting an exhaust from a BIG MACK truck..out the back and up about 6 feet, no dust up there, but on 2nd thoughts that would not be original, and I could not enter my car in the pebble beach concourse de elegance?

hope we dont get this post deleted because we are off topic a bit? has happened recently to a friend on here, so sad... driving

anyway ta ta 4 now
Peter

ChatMaster - 1,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,000
This might be what your looking for ! CHEVROLET Timing Hole Rubber Plug (Rare)
Timing Hole Plug. Rubber, rare
For All Chevrolet Cars and Trucks
836802A ALL
Click for more details
www.chevsofthe40s.com
pigs

$6.75 Each

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
That idea of using a stack off of a Mack truck has some merit, just be sure you put one of them rattleing weighted exhaust closer upper flapper valves to keep birds from nesting inside the stack, I guess that is what they are for, or maybe to keep rain out of the stack when you let off the gas and it sucks in a bunch of raindrops. I just put a peanut can over the one on our John Deere dozer, not a good idea, they blow off right after you start the engine.
I actually had a problem with one of those aftermarket timing hole covers-leakseal thingies. I wanted to time a guys 235 and couldn't find the timing hole, thought it had been welded up.. but it had a rubber cover that had just been painted over with that god-awful battleship gray paint.

P.S. sorry about them pigs, there wasn't any pics of flying kangaroos available. Upside down? WOW!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I found it a little interesting that there is a rubber plug for the timing hole...Perhaps this this is a "factory" item that is soon to be discarded...Much to the same fate as brake adjustment hole plugs...Just a thought...

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Nooot so fast there, Kevin. Agrin

I think the dust covers (metal or rubber) for the brake adjustment access serve a good purpose and, therefore, an item we would want to have in place.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
No, the timing hole cover is an aftermarket gadget, probably concocked to make someone some extra money from folks that will buy anything that will fit on their car whether it is needed or not.
The dust covers for the brake adjusting hole are an original item and serve a purpose.

ChatMaster - 1,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,000
idea togo

p.k.

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by 41specialdeluxe
Nooot so fast there, Kevin. Agrin

I think the dust covers (metal or rubber) for the brake adjustment access serve a good purpose and, therefore, an item we would want to have in place.

Charlie computer

I am a-gin the plugs in the timing holes...Being I am a soft hearted guy who is sympathetic to the possible plight of the poor homeless rodents should their nesting holes be plugged up.
Were will the poor things go ??????>>>>ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Oh, I know the brake adjustment hole plugs serve an important purpose...Go tell that to "shade tree mechanics" and their brethren...Their the ones that usually toss'em to the wayside, just happy to be done with some miserable wretch's wreck...Thanks for the reminder though, I need to order some...

...As for those poor rodents...Your right, they need a nice comfy spot to digest all that new wire harness they been munching on...

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Originally Posted by kevin47
...As for those poor rodents...Your right, they need a nice comfy spot to digest all that new wire harness they been munching on...

Seat padding as well.

[Linked Image from i47.photobucket.com]

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000

Tiny,

That is a great image. Thanks for sharing the rats bedroom picture with us. What a trunk! Wow! pineapple

That trunk is deep enough one could put down a pad, get a pee jug and tour the country. Betcha, the mice would get a kick of the trip. One could take them to see all their kin folk in Tennessee and Southeastern Ohio. They could spread a picnic lunch. Gnaw some cheese, so to speak. Cousins could... well, let's not go there. drool luv2

Tell me, is the 38 the mouse residence of choice. Do you reckon it's the ancient cotton upholstery that attracts such a plethora of them? They seem to be so prevalent there that one would think it was a most desirable preference for housing anywhere. Location, location, location, I guess.

Having a 41, I haven't have the experience of furnishing living quarters to these critters. The 41 is too tight for them to invade and set up residency. Go figure.

Tell me, is it true that no matter how hard one tires, a 41 can't be made into, or ever become, even through neglect, a rat-rod? Hmmm?

Well, obviously, I do put up with one mouse. Just one.

Best,
Charlie computer

[Linked Image from i753.photobucket.com]

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
The old coupe spent a lot of years on it's belly in a barn before I drug her home. There were more than just mice living in her. flush The inside smelled BAD. potty

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Tiny,

That is a great image. Thanks for sharing the rats bedroom picture with us. What a trunk! Wow! pineapple

That trunk is deep enough one could put down a pad, get a pee jug and tour the country. Betcha, the mice would get a kick of the trip. One could take them to see all their kin folk in Tennessee and Southeastern Ohio. They could spread a picnic lunch. Gnaw some cheese, so to speak. Cousins could... well, let's not go there. drool luv2

Tell me, is the 38 the mouse residence of choice. Do you reckon it's the ancient cotton upholstery that attracts such a plethora of them? They seem to be so prevalent there that one would think it was a most desirable preference for housing anywhere. Location, location, location, I guess.

Having a 41, I haven't have the experience of furnishing living quarters to these critters. The 41 is too tight for them to invade and set up residency. Go figure.

Tell me, is it true that no matter how hard one tires, a 41 can't be made into, or ever become, even through neglect, a rat-rod? Hmmm?

Well, obviously, I do put up with one mouse. Just one.

Best,
Charlie computer

[Linked Image from i753.photobucket.com]

Charlie...I don't think you have to worry about mice invading your 41.
Mice are smarter than you think. They like to take other mice home with them to "show off" their Pad,Dig's,Crash house...or whatever the hippest reference to "home sweet home" is at the time.
I am sure no self respecting mouse would want to visit the cramped quarters of a "41" trunk...Especially one that is so far out of style and behind the times that the owner does not know yet that the United States now has 50 states opposed to 48 as the flag in the window shows.....ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Hi there P.K.
that's just the part for the hole, thank you for finding it for me.
I will order one today.
that is an amazing site too..
cheers
Peter

ChatMaster - 1,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,000
Happy to help.... beermugs

p.k.

blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
just love that car,

look at all the Patina,

providence and oodles of character.

The mice have very good taste (no pun intended) now I know where the term "rat-rod" came from. Should it be mouse-rod?

love that car

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000

TINY, have you done anything to the pictured coupe since the picture was taken. It appears to be pretty solid. It would make a nice looking car, if done right and you can keep Steve's hands off it. wave

Solution for what to do with the mice thingee: Tow that car to Southeastern Ohio. Take a cat with you. Before the trip, withhold food from the cat for a few days.

After you arrive and are stopped there to get a cool drink and pack of square nabs for the return trip, take a good look around to see if there are any police because what you are about to do is considered cruelty to animals, then, if the coast is clear, toss the cat in. The mice won't like it none too much but they will quickly see the wisdom of choosing between moving to new digs over being eaten alive. The choice will be real tough for them but, either way, you'll be rid of the mice. And, the new increase in the mice population won't even be noticed. Agrin

EASTERN ED,

The flag is period correct. There were 48 states when the 41 was made. dance

You see, we add a star whenever a state is added so the original thirteen. But, I think you already knew that. wavey

The time was so short between Alaska and Hawaii being added, I can't remember for sure but I think we had a flag with 49 stars for a short period of time.

Best,
Charlie computer

BTW: EE, Until relatively recent, the date chiseled into the the frieze on the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC that Ohio came joined the Union was incorrect.

BTW2: Tiny, after the mice are scattered and there's no chance they will grab onto something and try to make the return trip with you, call the cat off. Buy it something nice for a job well done. Don't worry none about getting it back in the the tow car, after glancing around and seeing where it is, it will jump back in on its own. And hide. Will too! Agrin

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
TINY, have you done anything to the pictured coupe since the picture was taken. It appears to be pretty solid. It would make a nice looking car, if done right and you can keep Steve's hands off it.

You might say I've done a "little" to it. laugh I know all of you fog light, fender skirt and Fulton visor fans will just LOVE it. wow

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Wow! Nice. wave

Come to think of it, I believe your shared those pictures with us a little while ago. I didn't know if this was a different car or not.

Enjoy the ride,
Charlie computer

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
The wife and I are planning on being in central Tennessee in October for the Southern Fall Tour. Sign up & join us. I've been twisting Steve's arm trying to get him to sign up. Maybe we can cast dispersions at each other face to face. laugh

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Glad to see your pictures...I was going to place an order to the "fillingstation" and I was thinking of adding fender skirts to the order but I don't think it would look "right" without some sort of "trim" on them ( like Fleetline ) just to plain...I have a Fleetmaster so there is no trim...Any opinions...?

...Makes me wonder if the Fleetlines cost more than Fleetmasters...

...Also makes me wonder if I'm "posting in the "correct" forum...

Last edited by kevin47; 06/26/12 07:14 PM. Reason: ...uh oh....

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Tiny....Car looks Great,,,,,It's come a long way from when I first saw it (in your pictures) with that big "SMILE" in the front fender.... BEST.. ED

blueyAU Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
that is a gorgeous car, love its lines, great restoration. driving
How long did it take? and cost? is it 6 volt, if it is, does the engine turn over rather slowly?
Peter

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Very,Very Nice...Maybe lower the visor a bit..The avitar of my 48 was taken before I lowered the visor and it is a dramatic change in the look...Great job

Last edited by chef-chevy; 06/27/12 09:01 AM.
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Originally Posted by ED1938
Tiny....Car looks Great,,,,,It's come a long way from when I first saw it (in your pictures) with that big "SMILE" in the front fender.... BEST.. ED
Is this the smile you refer to? laugh She has come a long way, the much smaller size of my savings account proves it. flush

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Originally Posted by blueyAU
that is a gorgeous car, love its lines, great restoration. driving
How long did it take? and cost? is it 6 volt, if it is, does the engine turn over rather slowly?
Peter
Still 6v and the starter does turn slower than my modern 12v vehicles. I have an Optima 6v battery but it's starting to age a bit @ 6 years old. My restoration went in phases and took several years. I first got it running and re-did the upholstery so I could drive it. Second phase was from the back of the doors back (rust below the trunk & lower body behind the doors, re-chrome back bumper & guards, minor dent removal in the rear fenders then black epoxy primer from aft of the doors to the back). Third phase was body work on the rest of the car, re-chroming the front bumper & grill and paint. The last phase was overhauling the engine. The body's never been off the frame and I chose to reuse the original glass (except the windshield which got broken on removal) plus I didn't repaint the interior. I've not added the exact cost up but since I've had to hire nearly all of it done I imagine I'm getting close to $25K if not over.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Originally Posted by chef-chevy
Very,Very Nice...Maybe lower the visor a bit.

I actually went the extra mile to raise the front of the visor. I don't like the sleepy sombrero look. There's enough adjustment in the side brackets to raise it up but not the center support. We had to make a longer center bracket to get it up where I like it. Since it's aluminum I was concerned at first about the wind ripping it off or at least damaging it but it's well designed. There's enough of an opening along the aft edge to allow the air to pass. I had her up to 70 once by accident (speedo was off by 10 MPH) plus I've run 60 into a strong head wind numerous times and had no problems.

Last edited by Tiny; 06/27/12 09:24 AM.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I agree...visor is nice where it's at...I've been meaning to ask if it's a visor from the "fillingstation"...?

I hadn't noticed the "smile" (...uh, smirk...) before...Did the local body shop fix it or did you replace it...?

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
It's a Fulton I bought locally. It's the original fender.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Wow...So the fender never left the car..? Makes me think about a body-off-frame restoration for my car...And why would I do that...? It's a California Car, very little rust and life is to short...

Have you an opinion on the fillingstation fulton style visor's...? Anyone...?

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
All of the panels were removed for paint. It was just easier to work the dent with it mounted.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Good idea, I'll go that far...I'm just afraid I'd get that far and say "ah what, the heck..."

So, he removed every bit of paint to apply that epoxy primmer...no primmer-surfacer first...?

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Most of the paint was removed. Any paint that was still well adhered was feather edged and left on then primed over.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.