Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1928FT Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I am replacing (or attempting to) the points on my 1928 national
There are 2 screws on the points 1 that locks the points in place when adjusted and the 2nd a cam style that adjusts the gap. The 1st screw comes out with no problem. However it appears that you can not remove the points with out removing the 2nd cam style screw yet it is tight when trying to unscrew. How is the point base plate removed?

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi ,

The "Cam Screw" as you describe it does not come out, and is permanantly fitted to the plate and only turns.

Once you have removed the first screw, back off the adjusting screw till your points have closed and they should then be easy to pull out. If not or if there is a bit of rust etc, a very small flat bladed screw driver can be used to lever the points from the base plate. There is no need to remove the base plate unless you want to check or clean the innards of the distributor. If you do want to remove it, there are 3 screws that hold it in place, 1 each on the distributor cap clips and another equally spaced on the housing. I have included a link to my blog where I show a distributor disassembled. I hope it helps

http://my28chev.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/gamble-pays-off-nos-distributor.html

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Ray

Last edited by 1928isgreat; 06/09/12 09:35 AM.

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
1928FT Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Ray Thanks for the reply. I can remove (and have) the spring side of the points. The stationary side (adjusted by the cam screw) has the slot in it that the cam screw fits in and appears to hold it down also. So the cam screw comes out with that plate if I pry it up?

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
No the plate stays behind, the points come out, check the pictures I have posted.

The cam screw does not hold the points down, it just locates them.

Last edited by 1928isgreat; 06/09/12 09:39 AM.

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
1928FT Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Ray the pictures were great! I got it and there was rust in between. I am not a get a bigger hammer type and so when things do not come apart as I think they should I like to confirm before applying force. This is my first time on this site and won't be the last. Thanks for the help

Hans

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Welcome aboard,

I hope you get lots of tips and usefull imformation.

Cheers

Ray

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.