Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#240843 04/24/12 04:26 PM
31rob55 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I recently replaced my (modern) plug wires with (Filling Station repop) "old style" - with the angled plug connector and no boot ('31). They are constantly loose on the plug; in the dark you can see mini-arcing at each of the connectors. I've almost ruined these, trying to clamp them tight with pliers. (Maybe the modern boot-style is just as loose - hidden and masked by the boot?) Is there a trick to getting these tight and staying that way?

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
This is a great question... Unfortunately I suspect that there isn't really a good "technical" answer, but rather a bunch of well-meaning "opinions" -- so lets get the opinions started!!! Agrin

Now--- I have wondered about this for over 30 years since I saw my '31 engine running the very first time in the dark. But the amazing thing over the years, is that after owning two more '31's that it just doesn't seem to matter!!!???!?

I have also spent time trying to figure out ways to tighten up the connections while retaining an "original" look. All to no avail.

In the end, my "opinion" is that it probably doesn't matter. bigl

Hummmm... let's see, 10,000 volts arcing across .015 at the plug connection, and another .035 across the tip --- you know, maybe it just doesn't matter.

But - maybe if we're really, really lucky, someone smarter and wiser will set me straight. idea

--Bill B

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by Bill Barker
This is a great question... Unfortunately I suspect that there isn't really a good "technical" answer, but rather a bunch of well-meaning "opinions" -- so lets get the opinions started!!! Agrin

Now--- I have wondered about this for over 30 years since I saw my '31 engine running the very first time in the dark. But the amazing thing over the years, is that after owning two more '31's that it just doesn't seem to matter!!!???!?

I have also spent time trying to figure out ways to tighten up the connections while retaining an "original" look. All to no avail.

In the end, my "opinion" is that it probably doesn't matter. bigl

Hummmm... let's see, 10,000 volts arcing across .015 at the plug connection, and another .035 across the tip --- you know, maybe it just doesn't matter.

But - maybe if we're really, really lucky, someone smarter and wiser will set me straight. idea

--Bill B

Bill I remember back in the 1950's the hotrodders used to always use RAJAH connectors on the spark plug end of their wires. Have you ever seen them ? They are still available I think..My only question is would they be acceptable on a 1930's car or truck. I don't know when RAJAH connectors first appeared on the market but I think they were first used in racing in the 1930's? they are well made and nice to look at.
What do you think.....ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
My only question is would they be acceptable on a 1930's car or truck

They would not be acceptable for judging.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
... and I'm not sure that I can even spell RjAHahJH... or whatever it was that you said. :-)

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a photo? I'd be interested in seeing one.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by Bill Barker
... and I'm not sure that I can even spell RjAHahJH... or whatever it was that you said. :-)

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a photo? I'd be interested in seeing one.

Spell it the way I spelled it..I did not make it up...ED
BTW..On Brewsters post he has a picture of one It's the one directly in the center of the picture ( the black angled one)

Last edited by ED1938; 04/25/12 01:31 PM.

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
These are the 90 degree ones......

[Linked Image from i1264.photobucket.com]

GO HERE

31rob55 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Bill, thank you. I respect and accept your "opinion". (You're the most knowledgeable '31 guy I now of!) I'll run with it for now, but I'm going to try some things before I replace this nastily-scratched-up wire set.
It seems to me that that arc across the .015 (?) gap at the plug connector is "lost energy". A .015" air gap is the resistance equivalent of SEVERAL feet of plug wire, meaning the spark plug gap is receiving only a part of the potential.
...Maybe that's why we gap them much shallower than the 'original' specification? The original engineers may have known something we haven't figured out?

and, I thought about them, but Rajah's are for racers; I'm looking for original.

31rob55 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I came up with a sort of solution; inexpensive, not difficult, appears to work, and it doesn't show.

I made some "reverse spring-clips" to attach to the plugs.
I used 1/4" x 0.006" stainless steel shim stock (inexpensive, Hobby store). (I first tried brass, but it didn't have any 'spring memory'.) Cut strips about 3/4" long, punch a small hole in the center. Unscrew the plug terminal thingy (I don't know the right terminology), and use it to fasten these to the plug. Then, with a little "pliers action", bend the "ears" forward and shape them to fit inside the plug wire connector, and spread them out a bit to act as a "spring". Pinch 'em together as you connect the plug wire.
It's sort of like the reverse of a modern (or Rajah) plug wire spring-clip.

Tight connections! No arcing!
I can even feel that extra horsepower (just kidding)!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
You "might" see a slight improvement in your gas mileage now....
driving yipp

But that involves writing down a bunch of numbers and then using "math"... Probably not worth it for a vintage car. If gas mileage was an issue, then there'd be a TON of cars on the market for sale!! Ha!

parking

--Bill B

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.