Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Chef-Chevy

I did not drive with the car so far. Just after I installed the links a Chevy 53 torque tube with 3.7 gears came here in the market so I am slowly installing it (no time and suitable work space)When I am so far I will come back with my comments. chevy

Kevin

My shocks worked good and they do not leak. Here they dont have jack oil as known in the USA.I use ATF hopping to obtain a little *harder* ride I used it in my earlier days with good results on motorcycles and rebuilding car schocks. monkey
driving
Jianis

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My 48 Fleetmaster is back on the road again.
I replaced my standard 4.11 differential and torque tube with a 3.7 unit I purchased from someone who is hot-roding his 53 Chevy station.I am also using a set of 700 x 16 light truck tires witch gives a total overdrive of near 1.2
After driving for a couple of days around town I took her today for a final test on the motorway.With the help of GPS I found myself cruising nicely between 60 and 65 Mph luv2 (2500/2600 rpm)with lots of *quiet* power to spare. carbana

Chef- Chevy

The NOS after-market rear shock links seam to be fine but I do not think they will last long as the rubber is thiner and softer also the contraction in general is allot lighter as the originals.

Kevin

The Use of the ATF in the rear shocks improved their performance but I am still not happy with them.I have already got a NOS one so I am looking for a second one to show in the market then I will replace them. chevy
driving
Jianis

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
...Thanks for the ATF information, Jianis...

...Every time I read of someone changing their Differential to a lower ratio I have to heave a sigh...As much fun as it sounds, I have to remember the hills I have to climb...And the joy it brings when I can do it in second gear...!

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You have accomplished alot in a very short time.I am glad to hear you have got her back on the pavement with great results!!
I am presently looking into the issues with my differential,quite sure it is bearings..Summer has not made it to the Pacific Northwest as of yet,so I have not missed out on much...

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
painted the floor board in the ole chev today,the floor mat,everytime I take it out it tears or rips in a new place so I think I will not be putting back in.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
idea In my efforts to make life easier with my 48 I installed a 6 to 12 volt converter.
I found an old Blaupunkt converter that was normally used in VW beetles.
The converter was nicely worked away under the dash. curse
Now I can use it for the GPS instead of a motorcycle battery that I used to have with me. monkey
driving
Jianis

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.