Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My 34's engine and compartment restoration is now two years old so it is beginning to need some clean-up. Unlike my two 60's era cars, it has some seepage of oil & grease. I was thinking of using some mineral spirits soaked paper shop towels to clean the oils off, touch up some paint nicks with a brush, then use some clean wet cloths to wipe down everything nice and clean.

But I got to thinking that some of you have had an older Chevy much longer than I so would you share how you keep your engine area looking good? I have been asked to show it in February at the O'Reilly's World of Wheels Car Show in Kansas City so I need to get looking like new again.

1934 Three Window Coupe
[img]http://www.youngsdecks.com/YoungsDecks/1934_Chevy.html[/img]
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I don't know of anyone who's completely stopped all oil seepage on an old Chevy six. Old Chevy sixes are like old Harley Davidsons, if they aren't leaking oil they don't have any oil in them.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Tiny,

Thanks for the reply. I realize the engine will never stop leaking. I am just looking for ways others find to keep it as clean as possible.

1934 Three Window Coupe
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Wet with water, Dawn dishwashing liquid diluted in water applied with a paint brush then rinse off. Works well and relatively easy to do.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
"...share how you keep your engine area looking good?"

Well Youngfalcon;

I don't know the answer to your dilemma but here is what I intend to do in order to keep the engine in the 41 I'm restoring in pristine condition:

a. Get me some correct shade engine paint from FS. luv2

b. Paint the engine. pipe

c. Shrink wrap the engine whilst I install it and get everything in place. Agrin

d. When everything else is done and nothing more to do, I'll go to the store and get 5 quarts of Havoline 10-30 and shrink wrap them too. I'll put them in the trunk. ok

e. Then I will get a trailer with a good winch to cart the sucker to wherever I want it to go. idea

f. At destination, I will enlist the help of other old chevrolet owners to push it around. beermugs

g. When asked it the engine will run, I'll say, "Well, I don't know why it wouldn't, at least for a little while." hood

h. The shrink wraps will stay in place. tooth

Back to your question. Tiny is right. Except for going completely nuts on chasing the oil seeps (See Steve AKA Wuzinut (sp) who frequents the 37-42 forum) I don't know how to keep the engine clean or even come close, if you ever put one drop of oil in it. You don't even have to turn the engine over, even once. The oil will find a way to the outside. You can count on it. "Mission Impossible.! It's magic. Is too! dance
Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Chipper,

Thanks for the Dawn idea. After wiping the oil seepage off with some mineral spirits, I think I'll use an old Windex spray bottle with the Dawn mix to apply and then brush. Then I'll spray again with clear water in the same bottle and wipe clean.

Charlie: I don't consider cleaning the engine a dilemma. And I am not one that needs the car to always be showroom clean as I drive and enjoy it. But I did spend a lot of time restoring the car, including the engine, to as good as new (but no better) so occasionally I plan on spending a bit of time on the engine compartment to keep it reasonably clean. Since it is going to be shown in February and I have some time now to work on it, I thought it would be a good time to clean up that area. I am taking your lengthy reply as a "tongue in cheek" response, so thanks and I understand your point.

1934 Three Window Coupe
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
One of my buddies says these old engines are kinda like some of us as old men; "we sometimes drool and leak regardless of our best efforts".

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Now I've got a motor of indeterminate age ( operational years ) and the only oil that I see deposited on my driveway is the occasional black spot from the crankcase-breather pipe . The Torque-tube will also drip-a-drop or two a month...there is a weep from the push rod cover but it doesn't seem to go far...guess I'm just lucky ! It appears that the engine has been rebuilt once and the head maybe twice ( judging from the paint ) It also looks like the previous owners or whom ever worked on my '47 knew what they were doing....

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Yes. Everything about the Havaline was 'tongue in cheek." I'll probably go for Valveline instead.
Charlie computer

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I've been successful in using "Simple Green" from a spray bottle for many years. It cleans the grease off but doesn't damage anything rubber or delicate like the other engine cleaners. Plus it smells better. Let it go on a warm engine, set for a few minutes and then hose it off. Make sure you block off the air cleaner/carb and electrical parts with a plastic bag. warm it up and dry it off. Then you can see what areas are really leaking oil next time and address those as best you can. Its helpful to know what's really leaking and what's old "crud" that just accumulates. You may not be that bad once you see what's leaking.

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thanks for mentioning that Daryl...Had forgotten about "Simple Green" , I thought it worked well , too .

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.