Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#223677 11/03/11 09:39 PM
ED1938 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Ever since I joined VCCA I have been getting mail from every Chevy car dealer in town trying to sell me a new car.....Why to you folks allow access to my private and personal information?????
I have never received mail from a Chevy Dealer in my life until I joined VCCA....You folks have betrayed my trust.
If this stuff does not cease and if they do not stop sending this crap to me, in the mail, the next message you will receive will be from my attorney....got it?....Ed1938
BTW..I intend to share this with every member of VCCA

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
ED1938 #223679 11/03/11 09:47 PM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Ed,
I can ASSURE you that the VCCA has NEVER given your email address out to anyone!!! I know that for a fact since I manage the Chat database. I have NEVER pulled a complete set of email lists from there for any reason.

If it's any consolation, I have also started receiving Chevy email solicitations about 9 months ago, since I did the following:
1) Bought a new truck and gave the Chevrolet Dealer my email address,
2) Took out a loan from Ally and gave them my email address,
and
3) Joined the Chevrolet Truck forums at http://www.truckforums.com/forum/

We have run the VCCA Forum for the past 9 years with the strictest privacy policy and nothing has changed. You are absolutely WRONG by saying that "someone" got your email address from the VCCA forum.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ED1938 #223682 11/03/11 09:54 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Ed... before spouting off at the VCCA, you may want to check with your own computer security provider. There are all sorts of computer programs designed to hack into emails, and files on your computer that are then sold to marketing companies. A virus may not originate with the VCCA, but because it has detected "Chevrolet" in your computer, it sends this info along. It could be from any attachment or personal email on your computer. As a test to this theory, I'm going to use the words "Depends Underwear" here... and we'll see if you get a sample in the mail next week! bigl Another possibility would be to email the dealership and ask to be removed from their list. I highly doubt our personal info is being sold down the road by the VCCA.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
brewster #223688 11/03/11 11:02 PM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Test:

My phoney email address is bill@nowhere.com

(I entered all of the above as valid characters - no graphics).

If graphics show up, then Chat has further disguised your email address.

Bill Barker
ED1938 #223712 11/04/11 09:41 AM
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Originally Posted by ED1938
Ever since I joined VCCA I have been getting mail from every Chevy car dealer in town trying to sell me a new car.....Why to you folks allow access to my private and personal information?????
I have never received mail from a Chevy Dealer in my life until I joined VCCA....You folks have betrayed my trust.
If this stuff does not cease and if they do not stop sending this crap to me, in the mail, the next message you will receive will be from my attorney....got it?....Ed1938
BTW..I intend to share this with every member of VCCA

When you go online for anything anymore you give up your "right to privacy", learn to deal with it!

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
MrMack #223745 11/04/11 06:15 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The other thing to consider is that if your phone number is in the phone book, all your address info is out there. Computers allow mass marketers to create mailing lists quickly, and it may be the phone company, cable company, or anyone that has your address selling it. I doubt Bill is selling it... He knows that we're all cheap buggers that only spend money on our old cars! Who would pay to have their junk mail sent to us, just to have it go in the trash! Maybe the Filling Station?? But that's junk mail I'd give my info for!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Bill Barker #223752 11/04/11 06:48 PM
ED1938 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by Bill Barker
Ed,
I can ASSURE you that the VCCA has NEVER given your email address out to anyone!!! I know that for a fact since I manage the Chat database. I have NEVER pulled a complete set of email lists from there for any reason.

If it's any consolation, I have also started receiving Chevy email solicitations about 9 months ago, since I did the following:
and

We have run the VCCA Forum for the past 9 years with the strictest privacy policy and nothing has changed. You are absolutely WRONG by saying that "someone" got your email address from the VCCA forum.
Bill....Thanx for responding to my complaint....First I would like to apologize to you for coming on so strong (although it did get a reaction) It just upsets me to have the feeling that someone is out there trying to bushwhack you at every turn and follow you home.I know a little something about computers,I have been fooling with them for about 40 Years....Yes, I know about Viruses,phishing and Trojan horses. email is not my problem and I never said it was....I get snail mail sent to my home....that's the problem...It seems strange to me that right after the Flint rally a Chevrolet AD popped up on this site (allowed by VCCA ????) after that I started getting "SNAIL MAIL" Was that Ad sent to collect information???? All I am asking is to beware of AD'S bearing unwanted gifts..Thanx...ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
ED1938 #223989 11/07/11 07:25 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by ED1938
Originally Posted by Bill Barker
Ed,

and

Bill....Thanx for responding to my complaint....First I would like to apologize to you for coming on so strong (although it did get a reaction) It just upsets me to have the feeling that someone is out there trying to bushwhack you at every turn and follow you home.I know a little something about computers,I have been fooling with them for about 40 Years....Yes, I know about Viruses,phishing and Trojan horses. email is not my problem and I never said it was....I get snail mail sent to my home....that's the problem...It seems strange to me that right after the Flint rally a Chevrolet AD popped up on this site (allowed by VCCA ????) after that I started getting "SNAIL MAIL" Was that Ad sent to collect information???? All I am asking is to beware of AD'S bearing unwanted gifts..Thanx...ED

Looks like a fine example of damage control after shooting out talk with the attorney threats. dance

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I really don't believe this came from the VCCA or this forum. There are many ways to get ones email or snail mail address. I have been on here for some time and have not had any such problems. I do receive all kinds of adds (snail mail) from various entities but not much from Chevrolet and I bought a new pickup in '08. Most of the stuff I get is for old folk ( blush medicare supplements, nursing home insurance, etc.) because I am over 65. drink pipe wazzup

Ed
Ed_Osier #224004 11/07/11 09:59 PM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
So here's the FACTS.

We only have 5 ads running on Chat.
(and that's how we were able to pay for the server upgrade in January this year.)

3 of them are from The Filling Station.
2 of them are from the Sloan/Buick museum

I suspect that the Sloan ads are what you're referring to as "the Chevrolet ads"...

Yes, they posted them late last year trying to get interest in people attending their museums while they were in Flint. And, to our financial well-being, they have recently agreed to renew the two for another year.

One more thing --- here's a SECRET page where I can check up on both ads at the same time.
http://vcca.org/~sloan/

Thanks... and thanks to our sponsors.

Bill Barker
ED1938 #232375 01/27/12 06:24 PM
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
"my attorney", First, you would have to PROVE you've been damaged, then you would have to PROVE the extent of your "damages". If you could find an attorney stupid enough to take such a ridiculous case he would have to dumber than you; is that possible?

ron
greencorn #232413 01/28/12 12:25 AM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
I just read this entire thread from the beginning (again), and I can't see where any additional postings are going to add value, so I'm going to lock it now.

And, since I'm doing so, then I get the LAST WORD. bigl

The VCCA has NEVER given any commercial or charitable organization permission to use our member's names and addresses for any solicitation of any kind.

I'm pretty proud of that fact. ok

Bill Barker

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.