Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I spoke with my pops for a bit tonight.

He has been tackling the rear cab mounts on the truck. The cab was low in the back because the mount holes were broken out. He has reinforcements made to fix the broken pieces. Having the cab in the right place is going to be a big help when the doors go back on.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I had promised to post some more pictures of my Uncles JD's 40 COE school bus. I will post some details on the bus soon

[Linked Image from lh4.googleusercontent.com]

[Linked Image from lh6.googleusercontent.com]

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Over the winter my Dad has made some progress here and there on the truck. The Next big hurdle is going to be rear cab mounts witch he has just about ready. And a gas tank that was swiss cheese at one end. I was down for spring brake and we JB Welded the bad end of the tank, there were tons of pen holes mostly on the upper half of the tank end. I mixed up The JB Weld and painted over all of the holes with a stiff brush. I do not think that he has been able to fill it and see if we got all of the holes but I think there is a good chance that the tank is back in working order.

The truck had some rear brake line trouble end of last season and so he needs to bend one new brake line and keep from loosing those special banjo bolts. I think he is going to be on his third one. After the tank, Cab mounts and rear brakes are done it should be ready for some road time.

After our above things are tackled the next big thing will be a new front main seal. I do not think he is looking forward to pulling the front clip of the truck to too this job but the seal is getting to be pretty bad.

The truck continues to run well off a gas jug as he starts and moves it in and out of his shop ever day. He does the same with a Model T running gear, I was joking that he is probably the only guy in the country that daily drives a 36 semi and a Model T even if it is only a few feet. LOL

No pictures of the tank I am afraid but I know that there will be some photo worthy moments this summer. It had just been a while sense I had last made an update.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
As mentioned above the rear cab mounts were broken threw the floor of the cab, today the reinforcing patches were installed. The new mounts will be next and with the cab fastened properly than the doors can be refitted after they have the new glass installed.

My Dad also said that he got a different generator for the truck that just came back from the shop getting a rebuild. He had been using the generator off of his 35 standard coupe and now it is back on the car.

He also tested my JB weld patch of the gas tank for the truck, it seems to be holding. It will be nice to hook up the fuel system the way it should be, right now it is running off of a can.

I think that he is going to try to get some pictures of the cab repairs for us soon. Stay tuned!

Last edited by Sam_Russell; 05/07/12 12:28 AM.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well, I got some bad news about my JB weld gas tank fix, after sitting over night with fuel one of the large holes gave way. My Dad called JB weld to see what was up as it had been over three weeks before he had time to try the tank, so it should have been cured well. They said that because I used brake clean on a rag to wipe the tank clean that the mix was compromised.

Any one ever heard of this?

It is going to be a pain to clean off the tank for another repair.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

This is interesting. Keep us posted as to how this progresses.
Would like to know what they consider a usable cleaner.

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
It was Acetone and one other, My Dad will tell us.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Only acetone and lacquer thinner, per JB Weld tech.

Seems odd, when I think of all the stuff which has been repaired with JB with almost no cleaning of any kind.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The cab mounts are in permanently now, this is the first time in a long time the cab has been attached.

The rebuilt generator is in as well, we are hoping that it will put out enough juice to keep the lights on the truck and the trailer as bright as a 6 volt system can. He decided to go with a regulator and hid it on the inner fender, unless you stick your head all the way under the hood you will not know it is there.

With the cab mounts done he tried the fit on the drivers door and found that the hinges are binding. Is any one has any door fitting tips we would love to hear them.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Worked on the truck a bit this weekend. I installed the NOS headlamp switch and bent a new steel brake line for the right rear.
While I had the new line cut to length, I cut one flare off the old line and removed the protective coil spring so I could install it on the new line before re-flaring it.
I also re-made one of the generator wires a little longer so I could install some old stock cloth loom material that I had on hand.
The gas tank has the bad batch of JB Weld removed and is ready for our next attempt at repair. Maybe I'll get some fluid in the brakes this week.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Kool pixs I bet there's not many of those left,never seen a coe school bus.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the kind words.

I did snap a few new pictures of the new cab mounts and the gas tank that is cleaned off and ready for round two of patching the holes.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Look me up. I'll be glad to help.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Kool,Like the pictures and the resurection of that tractor trailor,couldn't imagine that they could haul or pull very much,but with the low gearing,and plus back then speed wasn't important,and the roads weren't the greatest,enjoy it,I used to have a 41 ton 1/2 that sold a few years back had a 12ft flat bed with a pto winch mounted at front of bed.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks it is to hot in central MO to do to much enjoying right now so I think it is OK that it is not road worthy right this second.

I talked to my Dad this morning and he has fixed his rear brake line that got cracked during a ride on a trailer to a show. One of the hold down hooks got into the line and messed it up. With the rear brakes offline, it was good chance to pull the rear brakes back apart and put on some correct brake linings, the ones that were on there had been for a different application and never fit the way they should.

The other thing that is now back on the truck is the drivers door. The glass was bad in both doors and the windows went up and down hard if at all. Turns out the door glass that was in the truck was slightly to big. so after a trip back to the glass shop for a trim things seem to be in order. The inside of the outer door skin was covered in some Dynamat for a little sound deadening and it seems to help the door sound less like a tin can when shutting it. He needs to put on the inner skin of the door and add the rubber wipers to the lower sill of the door to keep the glass quiet and seal out the elements as best as possible.

The door fit is excellent and there is no binding in the henge and the door closes well.

We are hoping of the same out come on the passenger side door and to have the wholly gas tank fixed soon so the truck can have some more miles put on it. I will be back in MO at the beginning of August for a visit and will take some more photos and maybe a video as well.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Small update for here and a big one for my Dad. He has both doors now mounted with working glass and they work well and are on for keeps.

He is working to get the tank fixed so the truck can drive to the local club cruse on Saturday. I am hoping someone will snap a few pics for us.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The truck is very close to being roadworthy again. I talked to my Dad on his way home for work tonight and he has the patch for the tank done and it will set up over night.

Tomorrow he is headed back over to the shop to bleed brakes and install the tank. The trip back to his house is a half hour and the longest the truck has been driven has been to the gas station when he found out the tank was bad.

The door update is that one of window regulators is wrong and will need to be replaced so that it works the way it should. They are very close.

Everyone cross your fingers for an uneventful drive home and to the cruse!

Last edited by Sam_Russell; 07/14/12 12:37 AM.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well the truck has somewhere over 60 miles on it now with no major trouble.

He drove it 25 miles home, then to the Cruse and back to the shop this morning. The only real trouble that it is having is that one rear brake is dragging even after running the adjuster all the way in.

It is not what you would call a speed demon, top speed seems to be about 45 miles an hour. This is with oversize 700 rear tires.

The rear tires are out of round which makes for a bumpy ride. This may be time to redo the rear wheels and install the four new 650 tires that he has waiting in the wings for the truck. It sure seems like it would improve the ride but probably not the cruising speed.

My Mom took a quick video of the my dad leaving for work this morning in the truck enjoy!

Off To Work

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My Mom took a few fresh pictures for us.

The 36 and 35Mikes 35

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I drove down to Sandwich IL Tuesday for VCCA show going on. I met my Mom and Dad there to see the cars and trucks as well as have them pick up my Corvair wagon to take it back to MO. I am moving to NC in a few weeks and it will be a little while until I will have room for a third car again.

It was nice to meet all of the very nice VCCA members that were showing off their vehicles.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My Dad got the rear brake apart that was getting hot on his drive.

The brake had the main return spring broken that pulled the shoes back together. The other thing that that was a problem was that the NOS wheel cylinder that was used during the brake rebuild had some junk in it. And seemed to be stoping the brake fluid from retuning and holding the pads out.

He has a new spring on the way and the wheel cylinder is cleaned a reassembled.

Lets hope that this will finally put the brakes in the all done category.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I got to go over and see some progress on the truck last night.

Link to Video of the truck starting and running.

Both doors have their new seal material installed as well as door check straps.
[Linked Image from lh5.googleusercontent.com]

This is a shot of the seat bottom still sporting it's original seat material.
[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

And all of the lights working.
[Linked Image from lh5.googleusercontent.com]

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
One other thing that I thought of after my last post, the gas tank is still leaking. My Dad patched it with JB Weld and then putting some pieces of sheet metal on the outside. The hole seems to be very small and with the tank over half full it just seeps.

I think he should pull the tank once again and do a sealer on the inside. My hope is that it will seal the small hole from the inside and have his tank set for years to come.

Any advice from folks that have had success with sealing their tanks would be a help.

He is also still on the hunt for a set of rear brake springs, they are the ones that pull the shoes back together away from the drum. Any of you hoarders have a set you do not need?

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I am having a brake problem with my truck. Something in the system is acting as a check valve.
When the brakes have been used or pumped a few times, they do not release fully. I originally thought this problem was only on the right rear corner but this afternoon I jacked the rear off the ground and realized that both rear wheels are affected. It did not occur to me, at the time, to try the front axle to see what was going on up there.
The brake overhaul included a NOS master cylinder casting with a fresh kit. New hoses all around but I did not install all new steel lines.
How about some "brainswarming" out there.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Problem in the master cylinder.

VCCA #45194
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (NeilA), 71 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,046
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.