Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks.

I guess I have not said much about the trailer. From every thing we have been able to find (witch is not much) it is a 36 or 35 trailer. When they drug it out of the field one of the wheels was locked up as was the landing gear. They got both free and moving well. The trailer uses the same wheels and tires as the truck and my Dad has enough mounted for the truck and trailer and a spare for each.

It would have had a flat deck on it with boards running length ways on the trailer. He is hopping to have the deck material sawed out of old phone poles at the steam show as they have a working saw mill.

The trailer has only single wheels mounted on it right now but other than that it is ready to be hitched up to and go for a drive.

All of the vacuum mechanical brake components are there on the trailer and the plan is to get them working at some point.

Here are some more pictures of the trailer when they got it.

[Linked Image from lh4.googleusercontent.com]

[Linked Image from lh5.googleusercontent.com]

[Linked Image from lh6.googleusercontent.com]

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The mounting plate for the fifth wheel is back from the shop and is not quite what we had in mind but it will have to work for now.

The latch parts for the fifth wheel are back from the blaster and are painted.

My Dad has is hoping to get quite a bit done on the truck tomorrow. I think the main things on the list are sorting the lights and mocking up the fifth wheel so the mounting holes can be drilled.

Wish him luck!

Last edited by Sam_Russell; 09/05/11 01:52 AM.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I check into you post everytime you post something. Really enjoy it. You guys are doing a great job. Wishing your Dad lots of luck. driving

I think I'm a fairly wise person because I'm smart enough to realise I'm not too bright.
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Glad to know that people are enjoying the coverage!

I just got an update on some of todays progress.

All of the lights are working. The headlights turned out to be a real pain, the harness in the lights was not staying where it should. Some of the wire in the sockets were being allowed to touch witch caused havoc. After sorting this out the park lights work as they should and the headlights seem as bright as you could ask for. He did forget to check to see if the dash lights are working.

The tail lights went better. A matching second light on the passenger side was added and they are both wired up and working with the new brake light switch. At some point turn signals will be added but for now it is old school all the way.

All that is left it hooking up the gas gauge, installing the rebuilt generator and cut out and repairing one fuse holder under the dash. When this is done it all of the electrical will be fully operational!

When I talked to him he was headed to assemble the fifth wheel and install it on the mounting plate. One bolt was broken off during disassembly but it broke with quite a bit of it exposed, hopefully it will come out with out two much trouble. After this he will need to make a pair of wood stringers to go between the plate and the frame before final install.

This coming weekend is the Steam show, lots of small stuff to do!!

Here is the drivers side light before wiring.

Last edited by Sam_Russell; 09/05/11 06:52 PM.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Last update for the long weekend.

The fifth wheel latching mechanism is back together. There is a big spring that had rotted off that proved hard replace. In the end three starter solenoid springs stacked seem to fit the bill. My Dad is not sure it is going to work but I think that it is going to work great wink. We will find out when the truck backs up to the trailer for the first time.

The hunt for just the right spring/springs ended up taking most of the evening. Still need to remove the broken bolt and drill 16 big mounting holes. 4 Days to Go wink

Last edited by Sam_Russell; 09/05/11 11:08 PM.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well today we have progress and a set back.

My Dad finished up the wiring under the dash by fixing the broken fuse holder. He also hooked up the gas tank sender witch went a bit crazy. He is going to look into that shortly.

He also got the mounting plate marked and made some oak stringers to go between the fifth wheel and the frame.

With the under dash stuff done, working lights and the all important insurance taken care of he went for a shake down cruse. And what a shake down it was. The rear tires are not round and the fact that the truck has no weight on it and the short wheel base made for a loud and bumpy ride. He took it to the gas station to add some fuel and then headed back to the shop, along the way he could smell fuel. Back at the shop he found that the tank must have hole that is up on the side of the tank. After draining a few gallons of fuel out the leek stopped. He is not going to worry about this for now as the rig will be trailered in and it will just be creeping around the show.

The other thing that gave trouble was the carb, it did not want to stay running at idle and seemed bad at every thing except running down the road. He is going to try a later carb as a next step.

When I talked with him he was hoping to pick up the repaired generator and the long bolts that will hold on the fifth wheel.

Just a few day left!

Last edited by Sam_Russell; 09/06/11 11:52 PM.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
When I talked to my Dad after work today he was following the truck as it was being trailered to get the fifth wheel installed. They have to drill a bunch of holes and bolt every thing together. The generator is fixed and may get installed tonight as well. wink

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Oh man we are getting close!

Generator is on and working well and the fifth wheel is 90% mounted.

After work today they have to redo some of the holes and bolts and it is ready to hook up to the trailer tonight. I have been promised some pictures of the event and maybe a video. We shall see if the old guys can work the camera!!

Here are a few pictures of last nights progress.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The two are one once again

When my Dad got to the truck this afternoon they installed the last few bolts and then it was off to the trailer.

Vid #1

Vid #2

Vid #3

Vid #4

Vid #5

Last edited by Sam_Russell; 09/08/11 09:48 PM.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
That's Awesome! When is the last time that trailer moved?

Chevy Guru
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Best we can tell over 60 years ago! laugh

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Sam,

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and videos. I nominate this for the "best topic/thread of the year". You have provided some very interesting and enjoyable information. Keep the progress coverage going. Since I know your dad and have visited him at home, with the '35 coupe, and been at the shop, it is even more interesting. I'm looking forward to the next trip to St. Louis so I can stop by and see the truck first hand.

1934 Three Window Coupe
[img]http://www.youngsdecks.com/YoungsDecks/1934_Chevy.html[/img]
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Jerry, I remember sitting in Howard's 34 when I was a little kid, kept me from touching all of the cool clocks in his shop while he and my Dad talked. So glad that it has gone to a loving home and glad you like the thread!

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I spoke with my Pop and they got the outside duels mounted and it is ready to be loaded for the steam show this weekend. It sure looks like it should, can't wait to see it with a deck on one of these days!

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The Fruehauf trailer and it's original '36 truck were purchased in about 2006. We moved them to Joel's house and parked the trailer in the spot where it remained until tonight.
My memory of our conversation with the seller is that the rig was loaned to a neighbor, sometime in the early 50's. The truck came home with a ruined engine and was parked in the spot where we found it in 2006.
Since tonights's pics and videos, outside duals have been installed and it really looks like a trailer now.
Tomorrow night... load the Fruehauf on my brothers gooseneck trailer, load the '36 on Joel's trailer, be ready to pull out for the steam engine/tractor show first thing Saturday morning.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Ready for the show!

Before

After

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
That's real progress!
Richard

I try to be the person my dog thought I was.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hey Everybody,
The truck and trailer went to the steam engine and tractor show this weekend and was a HUGE hit. People loved them and seemed to understand and appreciate my "Barn Find " theme.
The truck performed admirably, always started and stopped when requested to do so, and made it through the parades both Saturday and Sunday without stalling or overheating.
I do, however, seem to have a slight rod knock and a rather sizable oil leak at the timing cover seal.
My transmission top has considerable wear and it is sometimes difficult to find low or granny low gears in all that sloppyness. I guess I will be looking through my extra transmissions to see if I have a tighter top. Anyone got a procedure for refurbishing the shift tower area??
It took two trucks and trailers to get us there and back. Luckily it was only about 19 miles away.
My friend, Richard, was there with his nicely restored 1929 Chevy wrecker. It has always been a wrecker, not something made up during restoration. I wish I had thought to get a photo for you guys. I will try to stop by his house and take some pics some time soon. He also has the COOLEST unrestored 1928 LP 1 ton on the planet. I'll get some snaps of it also.
I will continue to work on the '36 seats, glass, etc. while I consider my options with the engine.
ALSO, I suspect that my light switch has given up. It is a truck only, 1936 only item. Anyone got an NOS one out there to sell or trade for something I might have? I will post in the classifieds.
Sam might be posting another little video from the show.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Sorry it has taken so long for another update.

I was down this weekend in my Corvair and got the see the rig in person, it sure is nice.

My Dad has there local car show this coming weekend that the truck will be at. After that is will go back to his shop for some more work. The gas tank needs some work, it needs a new light switch, the front cover is leaking oil, the cab mounts need work, both of the doors need new glass, and it seems to have slight rod knock at idle.

Here is the truck at the steam show. The 40 COE school bus next to it is my uncles.

Here is a Vid of the truck on the move.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
More work is being done on the truck.

My dad has the gas tank out of the truck and found the the top half of the tank has quite a bit of rust holes. He is going to look for another tank but may just get the original repaired.

He has been trying to hunt down the engine knock and has yet to figure out which rod if any is the culprit. The front cover has a leak so when that is part he will check every thing there.

The rear cab mounts are also on the list while the tank is out, this should help with door fit.

And last the hand brake is all hooked up and working as it should.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I dismantled the doors to install new glass and channel. I could only find one of my clutch head screw drivers, I believe it is the 5/32. It was too small for the screws in the '36 but I had no choice but to use it.
The drivers door was missing the trim piece at the top so I thought I would go out to Mom's woods and harvest the trim and some extra screws from the old '38 parts truck. I was armed with my NEW, larger, clutch head screw driver. Much to my surprise, the '38 1/2 ton had all straight bit screws. Not a single clutch head to be found. I harvested the needed trim piece and got some regular screws to replace the sheet metal screws someone had used on the '36.
I took a look at the '41 while I was there to see if it had a good rear glass frame. What do you know, it was LOADED with clutch head screws. JACKPOT, I thought, until I realized that these screws required the smaller screw driver, which I had not bothered to bring along.
I am anxious, now to look at my '37, '39 and '40 trucks to see what kind of screws were used on their doors. I'll report my finding here.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Dad, my 38 does not have clutch heads in the doors.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I really like that 36 and while driving my 37 last night was thinking about finding or making a 37 road tractor to haul my 37 1/2 ton,how I would like to find a vintage trailer to go with it but it probably would not work too well in hauling cars as being too high in the rear.

VCCA #45194
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Very nice thread, Sam. Your dad had mentioned this to me and I finally found the time to sit down and absorb all the work you and your father have done. It is now very easy to really appreciate your efforts and I will take some of your experiences with me on my own project (2 1936 1.5 ton Panel Trucks to become a Bakery Delivery Truck). I look forward to the day when I can put my kids (and grandkids) in the cab with me...

Last edited by OldBagpipe; 10/30/11 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling error
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I am really glad that everyone is enjoying the project. My Pops has worked very hard on it. I will be down for thanks giving and hope to take a few updated pictures.

I know that he is still working on the tank and door glass.

1938 Chevy One Ton Truck
1938 Suburban Carryall
1962 Corvair Monza Wagon

Member # 50,000
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.