Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Just answered a couple of emails, and then thought about creating a journal of my trip. We'll see if I remember to post a note TOMORROW night too. :-)

DAY ONE
--------
Bob Helgeson and I left Seattle at 6:45 am today.
Drove 13 hours (over 600 miles). Spending the night outside Bozeman, Montana. Heavy rain showers the last couple of miles. Broke my rule - and ended up driving during nighttime the last 50 miles.

After checking in to the motel, opened the trailer to an overwhelming smell of gasoline. Discovered that the gas cap came off the '31 and was on the floor of the trailer. Gasoline splashed all over the rear of the car and over the floor. It melted the rubber mat of my trailer. Also lifted the paint off the floor.

Spent an hour wiping it off - and dousing it with water. Then siphoned a gallon out of the tank. Put the cap back on - really, really tight.

Bob and I walked over to the Flying J and I bought some hand cleaner to remove the gas smell. He bought beer. I helped him drink it.

Now it's time for bed... I'm a little tired. wazzup
(Note: The worst day on the road trailering your vintage Chev is better than the Best day at work!!)

--But, heck, you already knew that! bana2

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
DAY TWO:

In Montana at a rest stop we saw the following sign posted on the way to the Men's Room:

[Linked Image from barkerville.net]
You can bet that we followed those instructions.

Then later, in North Dakota, we stopped at another REST AREA and there was a sign posted there that said:

If you are on horseback, please pick-up and take any horse droppings with you.

We made great time today... Didn't win any awards -- but we might have set the record for the most number of pit stops in a ten-hour day.
(and that's without drinking any beer)

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Bill
Sounds (reads) like you are making good time even with the "frequent pit stops" but look after those good cars.
It isnt wise to drink beer whilst driving, you might spill some beer.
Also Mr Policeman takes a very dim view of it.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hopefully, the gasoline (or what passes for gasoline nowadays) didn't do any damage to the paint on the old Chev...

I had a very similar experience a few years ago traileing the '33 a long distance, and it left the paint on the rear apron kind of "crinkle - finish"...

Chevy Guru
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
He's not going to tell us if the ol' Chevy got marked up... the judges might be reading this!! willy Keep going with the observations, Bill... Man I love a good road trip! Half the fun is getting there!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
DAY THREE

Left Bismark, North Dakota this morning and we just arrived in Superior, Wisconsin. 11 hours driving -AND- we didn't see the sun the entire day. ??!?!?!?! WTF?? Light showers and heavy fog this morning.

While booking it (64 MPH) in North Dakota on I-94 we were passed by many, many trucks since the speed limit is 75 MPH. But one rig pulled alongside and ran parallel for a while. We wondered what the heck he was doing, and I didn't want to divert my eyes. Finally I did and he was waving to me an pointing backwards. "Oh, [bleeped]" I thought - "A tire has come apart."

But he continued to point backwards and then at his own chest. Finally, as I was about to pull to the side of the Freeway, Bob says to me "He must belong to the VCCA!! He saw the large decal on the rear of the trailer." Yep!!! SO I gave him a thumbs up and he did the same. Then he accelerated away from me. He was driving a huge flat-bed 18 wheeler which was empty. (My '31 sure would have looked good on the back of it. And then I could have gone the speed limit too! Ha!).

How about that? Whoever you are, Mr. Trucker, here's a big "HOWDY DO" to you!!! Hope to see you in Flint.

Later down the road, we saw a billboard alongside the freeway that had huge letters on it saying
Be an American
Buy Ethanol
Wow... now I'm sorry that I bought a Diesel-fueled truck.

Lastly, we both were looking for a "rest area" as we left North Dakota. To our joy we saw a sign that said "Welcome to Minnesota - Rest Area 2 miles"

Hooray. We could hardly wait. 120 seconds later we reached the Rest Area off-ramp only to find a sign on it which said "AREA CLOSED". And the next two areas that we came upon ALSO had "Closed" signs on them. This caused us great misery while we began to think about some creative ways to "unload". Finally when we got out of the main city area, we stopped at the first gas station that we could find. And then to be safe we stopped at another gas station shortly after. Helgy swore off coffee while I decided to stop eating grapes while traveling?!?!?!??
bigl
Thanks to the governor of Minnesota we almost "christened" my new truck and we seriously considered leaving some "road apples" next to the "closed" signs.

Thanks to the phone calls that we've received while on the road. (No, Dave, we will NOT build you a Powerpoint presentation tonight while we're in the Motel room. I've got six Corona's that are staring at me and need my undivided attention!)

Tomorrow, Hello Michigan. Please tell your state troopers to let a gray Chevy truck and white car trailer pass without incident. The occupants are sober, hung-over but sober, and the are getting butt-weary after 40 hours on the road in 4 days!!

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Bill
I have found most truckers to be very reasonable though there is the odd bad apple. Like several others on this forum I have driven the occassional 18 and 22 wheeler so can see both sides of the fence.
Tony

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Great Journal Bill....Sorry about the Gas but you seem to handle it well, And I hope the Chevy is OK!!!

Funny signs and very funny experiences...keep up the Road-journal, it's great. laugh

Say, have to run across Steve from Filing Station yet? Seems he was willing to reward people who saw or stopped him on his way to Flint.

And look for me on your way back through Montana, I'll be the guy holding a bunch of giant trout.

Enjoy the trip and the event!!
Michael41

Last edited by mike41; 07/15/11 11:22 AM.
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
DAY FOUR:

Well, we finally saw two things today -- 1) A Rest Area with an open sign (Thanks Wisconsin!!!) and 2) the Sun in Michigan!!!

I failed to mention that each of the past two nights when we arrived at our motel, we had to set our clocks AHEAD an hour. Arghhhhh... less time to drink before beddiebye.

While on a two-lane road this afternoon, traveling at 55 MPH, I had to swerve to avoid a row of little ducks waddling across the highway. There was about 10-12 of them. All babies - 3 or 4 inches tall. I went into the oncoming traffic and whipped the trailer around just missing them. We checked in the mirror and they made it to the road side without losing any of their siblings. Later we saw a baby deer that wasn't so lucky. It was on the side of the road staring up at the heavens.

Tonight we arrived in Michigan and, once again, had to set our clocks ahead. We are now THREE HOURS earlier than Seattle - and we're still WEST of Chicago!!!

While traveling today, I found a good place for us to spend the night. See the following photo:

But noooooo... Bob says that he's got a cheaper place for us to stay.

... And we get three rooms for the price of one!!!

Tomorrow we arrive at Flint. Hope to see a bunch of you there. We'll check the hotel lounge first. drink

Bill Barker
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Well Billy Boy, If you didn't have to shut down every night at "quittin' time" and sleep in until the sun is way over toward the yardarm, even with all the time changes.. by now you could could have been enjoying all the scenic views and quaint little watering holes and a couple of good eatin' places in the Metropolis of mighty FLINT, for a couple of days.......Back back when I had to work for a livin' we found that about the closest thing to normal tasteing food in Flint was Pizza!

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
DAY FIVE - Arrival at Flint:

We departed at 7am (an hour earlier than normal). Here's a tip: Raisin Bran tastes the same in five different states. But each motel had it for free in the morning, so THAT'S what we ate!

Bright sun all day. Temperatures in the mid-80's. Drove like a bat-out-of-hell so that I could get to Paragon Products in Flint before they closed at 2 pm. Made it with an hour to spare. Bought a couple of parts for my '66 Vette. Bob bought a decal for his '64.

(I'm in the green shirt.)

But I'm ahead of myself. While we we driving from the UP (upper peninsula) to the LP (lower peninsula), we saw this truck with a zillion tires on it. Bob finally got a photo after we played leap-frog with it for a few miles. We have NO idea what he was hauling - except that it was REALLY heavy since he slowed down so much on the hills.

Arrived at the Meet Hotel at 2 pm. Maybe 20 vintage cars were already there. We checked in and Bob found that his bed had NO SHEETS!!! (What a pansy!!) Got that fixed. Then we went to the trailer parking location about 4 miles away. Dropped off the trailer and exchanged laughs with the guards. They are on duty now for the next 7 days. Saw this sign on the way back to the hotel.:

Finally ended up at a steak house with Ardie and Linda (no last names PLEASE). Bob bought beer and I drank it.

By 9 pm there are another 20 vintage cars here. All parked in the hotel parking lot. Two guards in uniform. One is an Iraq Veteran. I think that our radiator mascots are safe this year.

Tomorrow the major bulk of the registrants will arrive - and the temperature is expected to be in the low 90's. But Bob has bought more beer.... and you guessed it.... I'm helping him drink it!! How hot can it get?
beer2

Bill Barker
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Hey Billy Boy Barker!

Great story with great photos. Keep them coming throughout the meet!

Tomorrow is the start of "Flint" and while you guys are all having fun tomorrow, the old mutt is going on another Junkyard Dog Adventure! Going up to Hugo, Oregon to retrieve another way cool old rusty relic. Wait until the Chevrolet four-cylinder dudes see "The Thing"......they will go nuts!!! Guaranteed, this is the only Chevrolet four-cylinder vehicle like it on the planet since it is definitely a one-of-a-kind! It is a three-wheeler too! I doubt if anyone can guess what this old four-cylinder Chevrolet was used for either. Photos forthcoming in a day or two.

Have lots of fun in Flint!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Bill... just so you know: Your countdown counter thingy on the site just ended. I was a little disappointed, as I kept a close eye on it for a year, and it just disappeared! There was no confetti, balloons, dancing girls, or shower of 6 volt regulators to celebrate... can you work on this for next time? Great to hear you made it there, save some beer for me, Monday seems so far away!

Last edited by brewster; 07/17/11 09:32 AM.

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Bill --

Thanks a bunch for doing this. Reading your journal gives those of us who can't be there a chance to sense a little bit of what's going on in Flint. You guys have a great time!!

All the Best,

Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Good food at there and at Scooters too! (take out at the 2nd one though.....for my taste). Don

V.C.C.A. - (National) - (S.O.C.R. #7) - M.C.A.A.C. (NOT V.C.C.A. - "local").... http://www.mcaac.mb.ca * * * Chevys are G R E A T * * *.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I was a little disappointed, as I kept a close eye on it for a year, and it just disappeared!

Yep, but the "Until the Anniversary Meet at Flint, Michigan July 17-22, 2011" didn't disappear however.

Also, when the countdown thingy disappeared, the "Happy Birthday!! 100 Years." took its place. That's cool!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
I was a little disappointed, as I kept a close eye on it for a year, and it just disappeared!

Yep, but the "Until the Anniversary Meet at Flint, Michigan July 17-22, 2011" didn't disappear however.

Also, when the countdown thingy disappeared, the "Happy Birthday!! 100 Years." took its place. That's cool!

laugh wink beer2

Yeah... It appeared after I refreshed the page from typing my post... Still didn't get the dancing girls though...

1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
DAY SIX:

Last night at 10:30 pm, Helgy and I had just arrived at our hotel room. I was talking about how good it was to be able to sleep-in the next morning without using the alarm clock. No sooner had I said that, than the phone rang. Dave Miner (the Meet Chairman) was calling me. He wanted me to meet him in the lobby in 20 minutes. (He was just arriving from the Central VCCA meet.) Uh... okay.

So Bob and I go to the lobby at 10:45 pm. Dave arrives. Say could you help me unload some boxes? Uh.... okay. So we go to the back of the hotel, get the club room unlocked, commandeered a dolly and proceed to move about a hundred (?) boxes from Cousin Dale's trailer to the storage room. They were loaded with booklets, prizes and other jun... er... stuff.

Then Dave says "Thanks, and oh by the way, can you be with me at 7 am for an interview on Television channel 5?". Uh... you've got to be shi**ing me. Nope... we really need someone there who traveled a long way to get here... in other words, what the hell is the matter with you??? Ha!

Uh... okay. Got up at 6:15 am (on Sunday)... went to the parking lot. Waiting with the two security cops until 8:30... No television crew, no cameras. Dave --- dang it, YOU OWE ME ONE! (and where was Helgy during all of this? Sleeping with NO FRIGGING ALARM SET!)

Back to business -- Helgy and I drove to the site of the Judging area today to check it out. It's at the Sloan Museum.

Some cool banners on the light posts.

And a block away is the Buick Museum.

Today was FEC&P day... and if you don't know that that is... a quick summary. First Drive your car to the far end of the hotel parking lot and get in line. Never mind the 90 degree temperature or the super hot asphalt parking lot. Just sit there and wait your turn. Then you finally get to the front of the line for your "field entrance check"... headlights on please, now brake lights... wiper motor (only once), heater fan, drivers window up one inch, and finally your horn. Now where is your fire extinguisher? What? You left it in the trailer? I'm so sorry... but you REALLY NEED ONE Wednesday for the judging field or we can't let you on it. Okay you can go now.

Next, go to the back of the hotel and get in line.. yes, that very, very, very long line. It's the one for the "P" (pictures). Never mind that it's now 100 degrees and the black asphalt has turned into a tar pit. We all look like dinosaurs caught in the goo. But, finally we get to the front and "snap", the photo is done.

Bob says that I mentioned him buying six packs of beer too much in this dialogue. I responded but it's true. Each time you buy one, I mention it. So on the way home from dinner tonight we stopped and he bought a CASE!! So I guess that I won't mention him buying beer again for a couple of days!! Ha ha.

And, yes... I'm helping him as much as I can. The more I drink, then the better his liver will be. That's what friends are for!!

Bill Barker
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Car looks GREAT Bill! You look HOT! Time to work on that case.

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Bill,
This is a fun thread to read, glad you made it. You do look hot! The car looks great.

Ed
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
DAY SEVEN:

Uncle Ed (and everyone else)... you're dang right I'm hot... And you should see the OTHER photos of me that I REJECTED. Ha. Thanks to Helgy (or "Bob" as his wife calls him), I'm getting a bunch of photos to post here now. That seems to make my drivel a little more coherent.

Today was our first tour day - and we went to the GM Heritage Center in Sterling Heights. It is NOT open to the public. It is NOT open to other riff-raff. In fact our club president said that you can tell that it's not a real museum because it doesn't have a gift store!!! ha ha..

Wow... what a display... approximately 200 cars at any one time.. along with a bunch of engines.

The prototype cars are unbelievable. Does this really look like the back-end of a Vette??!?!?!??!

On the way home we dropped 25 degrees in under 15 minutes. It went from 99 degrees to 74 degrees due to a thunder storm that hit us. Here's a photo looking out the DRIVER'S WINDOW!!

And another one about a minute later.

And lastly, since we are on the fourth floor of the Holiday Inn, here's a view looking down at the BACK of the parking lot. Note that a lot of trucks select this area.

And that wraps up the first official day. Some folks went to the GM Truck Assembly Plant. But they don't allow photos there.

It is hot here. In the mid to high 90's. You've got to stay hydrated or you'll pass out. Thankfully Bob is looking out for my health all of the time. God bless Bob.... and Budweiser. drink

Bill Barker
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
DAY EIGHT

We started today with a breakfast with all of the International folks. They came from around the world.

Bob said that they talked "funny"... But one of the Aussies said that "WE" talk funny. That got a good laugh... (at least we all LAUGH the same!) bigl

Lots of people came a L-O-N-G way to attend.. Our appreciation goes out to all of them. Hip Hip Hooray!!!
wavey thanku wavey

Stopped by the Swap meet again today.. Spent a few more bucks. Good parts... and almost ALWAYS marked with the correct year!!! yipp

Poor 'ol Al, sitting all by his-self in 90 degrees hawking our trailer decals... I think if you offer him HALF of the price, that he'll take it. Anything to get out of the dang heat. He was so delierious, that he was actually SMILING!!

And one quick photo of the BEST WAY TO TRAVEL when you're in this god-forsaken country... (oops, no slander intended - but hey! I"m from 60 degree Seattle, and this 90 degree / 90 percent humidity is for the birds!). I signed up for EVERY bus trip that was offered. Their radiators DON'T BOIL OVER!!!

Lastly some photos of a 1951 from New Jersey that caught Bob's eye. I think he tried to buy it but they wanted TWO cases of beer --- not the ONE that he offered!! stressed

Bill Barker
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Wow! That's the Filling Station panel truck that I see in back of the parking lot! Cool!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Top marks for the photographer.
I agree you lot north of the equator talk funny but at least you use a understandable version of "English".
As JYD mentioned the "The Filling Station" truck is there, did you collect your prize for spotting it?
Tony

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
DAY NINE

Okay, dudes (and dudettes)... this is the one that you've been waiting for -- JUDGING DAY!!!

Lets start off with some cars. Shiny and not-so-shiny. But a fantastic collection. Nearly every single year of Chevrolet represented. I'll try to remember to tell you in a later posting which years were not there.

And now -- PEOPLE!!

And --- FUTURE JUDGES!!

And --- me (of course). computer

A Ute from downunder --- Now "living" in the USofA:

It was over 90 degrees today... overcast until noon... that was great... but the afternoon was a bugger. The judges didn't release the cars until 5:20 PM - but 3/4 of the cars began to leave at 4 PM.

And finally -- one persons comment:

Everybody survived the day. Bob and I drove over to the location at 8pm on Tuesday to check out my space. One other person was there doing the same thing. Otherwise the entire 20 acres was empty. In the Meet Booklet it said that arrival for all 600+ cars being judged and displayed, was suppose to be between 8 and 10 am. I was a tad surprised when I arrived at 7:15 AM to find over 20 trailers already unloaded in the parking lot - along with -at least- a hundred cars on the field!!! Wow.

Errata: Cold bottled water was $1 each. Soda Pop was $1. Hot dogs were $2.25. Polish Dogs were $2.75 wow...

And a "huge" dish of ice cream was $2.75 (I think)... double wow...

Someone can correct me on the prices if they want.

Tomorrow - the Plaque Tour.

Bill Barker
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shorty, Mr87Monty, Headlighter), 82 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,076
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.