Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#203426 04/10/11 11:28 PM
OilSpot Offline OP
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Hey

I have a signa flair 900 and i wander if there is a plug in buzzer that can be obtained for this turn signal system to be more noticable becouse i keep forgetting to turn the turn signal off... Im sure if i had something with a more noticable buzz instead of this japanese tick box that i can barley hear over the highway sounds, it would make things less imbarissing.

In my shop, quality is a standard, NOT and option.
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Get hearing aids or get your wife to ride shotgun, she will hear the Tick-Tock, anyway my wife does.....

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
After 35 years of working in the engine rooms of steam and diesel ships, I'm hard of hearing and cannot hear the clicking of the turn signal relay over the engine/road/wind noise in my 40 Chev 1/2 ton pickup. Since the older after-market turn signal units don't self-cancel, I was constantly leaving my turn signals on. I purchased a small 6 volt piezo-electric buzzer at an electronics supply store and wired it to my turn signals so that it beeps intermittently with the turn signal flasher relay. There's no forgetting to turn off the turn signal now. It's not a plug-in device, so you have to mount it and wire it into your existing turn signal wiring. Depending on your signal wiring, you'll probably have to wire in a diode in the wires to the buzzer from the left and from the right signal lines to keep the left signal from powering the right lights and vice versa.

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I don't know how it was wired but I had a '75 Goldwing that had a beeper wired to the turn signal to prevent the rider from forgetting to cancel the turn signal. My riding buddies thought it was obnoxious but it served the purpose.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Tiny #203465 04/11/11 11:46 AM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I used some buzzers I purchased at Radio Shack. I put one on each side in the wire going to my cowl light. They worked just fine.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
OilSpot Offline OP
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Gee wiz. I hate to go splicing into everything and making a rats nest out of a perfectly good harness...

I'll think about it now. What exactly is recommended as far as diods and buzzers go? So i have to put a buzzer on each wire light?

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
You could put a buzzer for each side or a diode from each side to a common buzzer. I you want I could send you a email (if its not listed in your profile send it to me) with a rough diagram of how to hook it up.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
OilSpot Offline OP
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I thank you. Im still thinking about going forward with it. I just hate to splice a perfectly good harness. I might just do with what i got and tell myself 100 times over before i pull out of the drive to check the signal switch after every corner.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I don't think you need to splice into any wiring. I used a "sound signal" device that I bought from a local Radio Shack store and placed one of the two wires on one side of the flasher prong and the other on the remaining flasher prong. Works good and it is plenty loud enough.

See Facebook Page for Joe Fuchs to see more pictures of my 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Pickup
OilSpot Offline OP
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Well i went to the shack today. Got me a buzzer and was able to hook it up without a bunch of diods. Works like a charm. Now there is a pleasing BZZZT BZZZT BZZZT BZZT every time i hit the switch. I wont forget now!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
OilSpot,

Would you please share the stock number of the Radio Shack buzzer you bought? I need the same thing for the same reason! Thanks.

1936 Low Cab Pickup
OilSpot Offline OP
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
On the reiept it says # 2730054 MINI 6VDC BUZZER. It's a small white box not even an inch long, has a neg. ground and red positive. If you have a signa flare 900, what i did was neatly wrap the positive wire of the buzzer 1 time around the base of the flasher terminal which I beleive runs to the blue wire which is the pilot wire for the whole system then plug the flaser back into the socket. May be a good idea to solder ONLY the loop of wire just for re-insforcment. Then take the negative wire from the buzzer and run it to the closest ground. Simple as that. No splicing, no dicing, no diodes and additional electrodes. When you turn the signal on, she'll sound off in off and on beeps.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks, Spot! I'm going to get one today.

1936 Low Cab Pickup
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
OilSpot,

My new Radio Shack buzzer works great, only cost $3.39, and sounds a little like a duck. ok Now whenever I hear a duck quacking under my dashboard I'll remember to cancel the turn signal!! Thanks for an easy solution to the problem.

WinoWally

1936 Low Cab Pickup
OilSpot Offline OP
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
rolllaugh I never thought of it like that but i put two and two togeather and it kinda does sound like a duck, dont it?

I figured 3.39 is a good bang for the buck for a little upgrade. Saves the "Hay Mr.! Your signals on!" imbarasment.

No splicing, no dicing, no additional terminals and no diods. Dont get no better then that! Thats like bolt on Horsepower out of the box.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.